Barbados flights and hotels

Greetings. We are considering the February 26, 2024, Barbados to Barbados. We would fly out of Philadelphia and the connections have either very short or very long layovers. Is a 2:50 pm arrival too late? We would appreciate any advice on using Regent Air to this destination, embarkation process/port, and pre cruise hotels.

Many thanks.

The ship sails at 10:00pm. All aboard time is probably around 9:00pm so in a perfect world 2:50 is probably fine. If this year is any guide February is far from perfect for air travel. 

We are retired and have the time so our policy is to always arrive at least the day before embarkation so if Murphy is working overtime we can still make it on time. 

• Like 1

First - just about everyone on this board will tell you - do not arrive on the same day as sailing out (unless you have no choice).  You mentioned 2:50 too late but then you mentioned pre cruise hotel.

Barbados is a tough one.  For most of our cruises we usually take the credit and book our own. We did this same itinerary on the Navigator just this past February and for several reasons we did book with Regent - those reasons being - there was almost no price difference (at the time)  between Regent and booking myself - Barbados has very limited options for getting there from the east coast - mostly just American through Charlotte or Miami. I figured for the same money I’ll let Regent worry about it. I was able to upgrade Regent’s economy AA ticket to First on the first legs for $300 each way but the second leg was sold out (only 16 seats) - we did pay for main cabin extra (couple more inches in vs standard economy.)  Regent did give us a pre-cruise (forced overnight) - it was the Accra Beach (others stayed at the Hilton).  Both (I have been to both) are tourist class hotels, somewhat run down but adequate for an overnight - but definitely not commensurate to a luxury cruise.  

If you don’t want to do any work and have the Regent backup of having to “fix things” if they go wrong - book Regent.  It will be in economy (I believe) - If you want first class/business their upgrade cost to First/Business will probably be astronomical.   

BUT - If you want to some work - You are so far out the airlines open bookings 331 days out.  You can probably take the $900 Regent Air credit and book First/Business (its domestic First seats all the way) for about $1300-1400 pp.  Regent would probably charge you a lot more for the upgrade if they give it to you.   I would book a refundable ticket to lock in the best fare (first class only goes up each time one of those 16 seats are sold).  If Regent by some chance has a better deal you can cancel and get a refund.  Do it one way on the first available (331 days out) then book the return leg 10 days later (331 days out).  One way or R/T usually doesn’t matter.  

Hotels - Unless you want something like the Fairmont - many hotels (including the ones I mention will serve as an overnight for about $350.  Regent will charge you double or more (unless included with their economy ticket).  Others could probably tell you of some hidden gems you can book on your own. 

• Like 1

Definitely fly in at least one day early; do everything in your power to give yourself that extra buffer day! (Or two.) As you know, weather from the east coast can be touchy in February. It's not just the flight from Philly to be concerned about, but if there's a storm anywhere on the east coast, many flights get cancelled and planes get diverted to, or sit in, other cities.

If you do fly to Barbados a day early, do you have points with Hilton? Instead of the Hilton many people go to, consider The Crane, which is run as a Hilton Vacations resort. The rooms are large and much nicer than the Hilton. It's near the airport, but not as close to the main tourist area with hotels and restaurants; we found the restaurants there fine for a one- or two-day stay; the pools and grounds were nice. We got a cab to take us to an attraction (Harrison's Cave) and then on to the cruise port on the day of our embarkation. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Yankeeclipper1 said:

First - just about everyone on this board will tell you - do not arrive on the same day as sailing out (unless you have no choice).  You mentioned 2:50 too late but then you mentioned pre cruise hotel.

Barbados is a tough one.  For most of our cruises we usually take the credit and book our own. We did this same itinerary on the Navigator just this past February and for several reasons we did book with Regent - those reasons being - there was almost no price difference (at the time)  between Regent and booking myself - Barbados has very limited options for getting there from the east coast - mostly just American through Charlotte or Miami. I figured for the same money I’ll let Regent worry about it. I was able to upgrade Regent’s economy AA ticket to First on the first legs for $300 each way but the second leg was sold out (only 16 seats) - we did pay for main cabin extra (couple more inches in vs standard economy.)  Regent did give us a pre-cruise (forced overnight) - it was the Accra Beach (others stayed at the Hilton).  Both (I have been to both) are tourist class hotels, somewhat run down but adequate for an overnight - but definitely not commensurate to a luxury cruise.  

If you don’t want to do any work and have the Regent backup of having to “fix things” if they go wrong - book Regent.  It will be in economy (I believe) - If you want first class/business their upgrade cost to First/Business will probably be astronomical.   

BUT - If you want to some work - You are so far out the airlines open bookings 331 days out.  You can probably take the $900 Regent Air credit and book First/Business (its domestic First seats all the way) for about $1300-1400 pp.  Regent would probably charge you a lot more for the upgrade if they give it to you.   I would book a refundable ticket to lock in the best fare (first class only goes up each time one of those 16 seats are sold).  If Regent by some chance has a better deal you can cancel and get a refund.  Do it one way on the first available (331 days out) then book the return leg 10 days later (331 days out).  One way or R/T usually doesn’t matter.  

Hotels - Unless you want something like the Fairmont - many hotels (including the ones I mention will serve as an overnight for about $350.  Regent will charge you double or more (unless included with their economy ticket).  Others could probably tell you of some hidden gems you can book on your own. 

Our hidden gem is Sweetfield Manor.  Only 10 rooms, each one is unique.  Not as posh as a luxury cruise, but something different and the basics (bed, AC, etc.) were very good.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. We agree that arriving at least a day earlier is the way to go, but the choice of hotels for a short stay seemed very limited. Your hotel suggestions are much appreciated. Right now it appears that we can get airfare at a lower price than Regent offers, so we will try to make arrangements on our own.

• 3 weeks later...

How did Regent handle your flight out of Barbados?  
Our Feb. 2024 cruise ends in Barbados, we are using Regent for our flight home and paid the deviation fee.  After looking at possible flights, I see only 2 flights leave each day 7:10 am and 4:40 pm. I’m assuming Regent will try and put us on the 4:40 pm flight which has overnight layovers in DFW or MIA.  I foresee problems and have questions. 
1. How can Regent get all its passengers on the 4:40 pm flight?  
2. If it cannot, does Regent put disembarked passengers up in a hotel overnight in Barbados so to place them on the 7:10 am flight?  (7:10 am flight is much better for us).

3.  If Regent books us on the 4:40 pm flight with long overnight layover will they book us into a hotel in DWF or MIA?  
I know I should be talking with Regent about this but want to be better informed before I do. Any information regarding flying out of Barbados using Regent would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 8:55 AM, CruzC2C said:

How did Regent handle your flight out of Barbados?  
Our Feb. 2024 cruise ends in Barbados, we are using Regent for our flight home and paid the deviation fee.  After looking at possible flights, I see only 2 flights leave each day 7:10 am and 4:40 pm. I’m assuming Regent will try and put us on the 4:40 pm flight which has overnight layovers in DFW or MIA.  I foresee problems and have questions. 
1. How can Regent get all its passengers on the 4:40 pm flight?  
2. If it cannot, does Regent put disembarked passengers up in a hotel overnight in Barbados so to place them on the 7:10 am flight?  (7:10 am flight is much better for us).

3.  If Regent books us on the 4:40 pm flight with long overnight layover will they book us into a hotel in DWF or MIA?  
I know I should be talking with Regent about this but want to be better informed before I do. Any information regarding flying out of Barbados using Regent would be appreciated. 

I assume you are on the Miami to Barbados cruise. American Airlines is the best (and maybe only choice) to fly direct back to MIA from Barbados . We took the air credit and booked our own. It's only a 4 hour flight and I would HIGHLY suggest you book your own air on the AA 4:40 PM flight now.

My problem is really connecting flights once I get out of Barbados.  I live in Arizona so if I have the 4:40 pm flight I have a long lay over in MIA or DFW.  It looks like the best option now is to get a hotel in DFW and fly home from there the next day.  

I found it cheaper to use Regent than book it myself, we upgraded to First.  

Was just curious what Regent did in the past flying guests out of BGI.  

On 3/31/2023 at 1:14 AM, cruiseej said:

Definitely fly in at least one day early; do everything in your power to give yourself that extra buffer day! (Or two.) As you know, weather from the east coast can be touchy in February. It's not just the flight from Philly to be concerned about, but if there's a storm anywhere on the east coast, many flights get cancelled and planes get diverted to, or sit in, other cities.

If you do fly to Barbados a day early, do you have points with Hilton? Instead of the Hilton many people go to, consider The Crane, which is run as a Hilton Vacations resort. The rooms are large and much nicer than the Hilton. It's near the airport, but not as close to the main tourist area with hotels and restaurants; we found the restaurants there fine for a one- or two-day stay; the pools and grounds were nice. We got a cab to take us to an attraction (Harrison's Cave) and then on to the cruise port on the day of our embarkation. 

We are also considering the hotel options in Barbados and are getting many conflicting reviews, so if I may ask … have you stayed at both of these resorts post pandemic? Do one or both have water sports available on their property (kayaking and snorkeling)? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

@kjbacon No, I have not stayed at both Hilton properties post-COVID. I read lots of reviews of both properties, and decided to stay at The Crane for two nights before one of our cruises. My comments reflect our experience staying there. (On our cruise, I talked to someone who had stayed at the Hilton overnight who described it as “adequate.”)

For a modest number of additional points, I was able to upgrade to a huge 1,000 sq foot 2-room suite with a large living room, full kitchen and dining area. We didn’t spend long enough at the resort to fully take advantage of having such large accommodations, but we were happy having that over a standard Hilton hotel room with a bed, desk, and bathroom.

I am not aware what, if any, water

sports are available, as that wasn’t of interest to us. (I doubt there is snorkeling from the shore there.) In fact, the day we spent lounging at The Crane, we stayed around the multi-tiered pool area and didn’t go down to the beach. If water sports are your key focus, I’d guess the Hilton probably fits the bill better.

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings,

Flights to/from Barbados are no longer an issue for us. See below.

Stay safe.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR CRUISE ITINERARY:

SEVEN SEAS NAVIGATOR® DEPARTING JANUARY 3, 2025 

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner:

We would like to inform you of an itinerary modification to your upcoming cruise aboard Seven Seas NavigatorDue to limited flight and pre-cruise hotel options the scheduled calls to Bridgetown, Barbados on January 3 and 13 2025, have been replaced with San Juan, Puerto Rico.

This means that embarkation and disembarkation will now take place in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

In addition, to accommodate this change, the following substitutions will be made for the calls scheduled on January 4, 2025; and January 12, 2025, respectively: Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago will be replaced with a day at sea; and Castries, St Lucia, will be replaced with Basseterre, St Kitts & Nevis. 

We are booked on the Splendor for the Barbados to Barbados cruise in Feb of 2024. We learned they are not supplying the hotel pre cruise overnight stay and I booked the Barbados Hilton the least expensive room and for 1 night $600. They are not sure about any transfers. I am beginning to wonder if we just need to cancel the cruise. Flights to Barbados from Texas are very expensive and continue to increase. We would need to spend the night going and coming in Miami due to connection issues. 
Any thoughts. This looks like a great cruise but if they are going to change things around and we have reservations what a mess.

I seem to remember when things were starting to think about opening up from COVID Barbados seemed to be one of the first places that let cruises start there.  And then suddenly cruises started popping up starting in Barbados.

I just spoke to regent and they are offering the flights but no hotels or transfers even if you book their air. The only credit given is the $300 hotel credit. This is saying that everyone is basically on their own once you arrive at the airport in Barbados. Ugh

• 1 month later...

We booked a cruise from Miami to Bridgetown in Feb 2023, using Regent Air.  We also paid extra to fly first/business class from Bridgetown home.  Regent could not accommodate any of the flights we requested.  The one Regent did offer us was totally unacceptable, overnight in Toronto with no offer of a layover hotel.  We will be looking at other cruises to replace this one.  
Note:  Regent use to give us the flights we requested in the past.  Lately all our choices have been rejected. 

What we are having to do on our Barbados to Barbados cruise in Feb on Splendor book our own air , transfers, and hotel. Regent is not providing hotels in Barbados so there therefore no transfers either. You can use their air but why would anyone do that if nothing else is provided. They still have all offered on this cruise website. We are flying to Miami spending the night at the airport and catching the flight to Barbados the next morning. We booked the Barbados Hilton and I sent them an email regarding a driver for transfers and he contacted me right away. We will be using him for all transfers. Hopefully it works out. We will have to take the 4:30 flight out back to Barbados so spending another night in Miami at the airport hotel and catching an early morning flight back to Texas. These are all American flights nonstop. 
This cruise is a real pain. Getting to and from Barbados is a real pain. Regent I believe is dropping Barbados as a debarkation or embarkation port. To expensive. The 300 for hotel credit no way covers the hotel and the breakfast and transfers. Regent seems to be falling behind on customer service but continues to raise prices.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jhenry1 said:

Regent I believe is dropping Barbados as a debarkation or embarkation port. To expensive..... Regent seems to be falling behind on customer service but continues to raise prices.

The problem, as you clearly state, is Barbados is too expensive.  Customer service has nothing to do with availability and cost of flights or hotels but does have an impact on prices.