Uncruise-type cruises in Europe and Mediterranean?

darinboville

I'm looking for "Uncruise-type" cruise companies operating in Europe (including Iceland and Greenland) and in the Mediterranean (including the Middle East and Africa).

I know about:

Hurtigruten

Havila

Lindblad

Any other suggestions?

--Darin

Edited by darinboville

1 hour ago, mom says said:

WTH is an uncruise cruise company?

Uncruise is a small ship" cruise company, mostly working out of Alaska but also elsewhere. The big draw is the stuff off the ship--kayaking, hiking, exploring small towns, etc. It's a very different thing but might be worth checking out: https://uncruise.com

The other companies I mentioned offer a similar in many ways.

Check out Grand Circle Cruise Line. They have a number of Med itineraries that cover from the Suez Canal all the way to Gibraltar, as well as itineraries that cover the Western European coast, the British Isles, and the Baltic on ships that range from 50 to 100 pax. 

there are a couple of British companies operating out of UK ports with smaller ships and no glamour and glitz. but their passenger profile is mainly older, which might not be right for you. Saga does Norway and the north cape stopping in small ports, also Iceland. so does Fred Olsen.  the reviews of the saga Northern lights cruise suggest the off ship activities are good: some recent photos and posts on the saga section of these boards.

Could also consider small yacht cruises, for example those which run along the Croatian coasts and islands, also Greek coasts and islands. We have on occasion seen one or two docked at Dubrovnik which cruise the coasts and islands, and Croatia is very scenic. Might be worth researching yacht as opposed to ship itineraries.

Or maybe flotilla sailing ?Turkish coasts would be an option.

Maybe Hurtigruten  would be a good fit as it is really  a line which runs several  Norwegian  coastal  ferries but also carries cruise pax

Or small expedition ships?

Edited by edinburgher

19 hours ago, mom says said:

WTH is an uncruise cruise company?

Just look up the companies he lists ... that kind of cruise. 

I think there's a huge choice out there.  I wouldn't ignore the Grand Circle/Saga kinds of cruises ... they do appeal to people from 40 on up and their itineraries can be wonderful.  There are a lot of 'cruisers' who love to hike and kayak and adventure stuff like that.  Our 'Jewels of UK' Grand Circle cruise several years was really wonderful for all the small towns we visited.  Careful reading and use of these boards would give you a great deal of insight.  

Edited by jsn55

One advantage to the small ships (~100 pax or less) is that they can dock in city centers when the big guys can only get within an hour (or more) drive or must moor out and tender in. 

@Host Jazzbeau may be able to add to the list of more atypical cruise lines.

Edited by CPT Trips

Well, the first thing to do is Google small ship cruises.  Another suggestion is the website cruisemapper.com.  Once there, click on ‘ships’ and you will get a drop-down list on the left, of many cruise lines and companies.  many you will not have heard of.  Some smaller ships are listed under several lines.  Many are expedition ships.  And most are quite expensive, and require a level of attire that is not ragged.  EM

It depends on what part of Uncruise appeals to you.  If it's mainly the small size of the ship, there are many similar cruise lines – I would add to the above Nobel Caledonia, and illustrate the 'downtown parking' aspect of small ships to note that we had 3 nights right in downtown Seville (we were able to walk off the ship every night and join the passeggiata with the locals).

If it's the active tours, like kayaking and snorkeling, I would mention Windstar, Paul Gauguin (in French Polynesia), and Ponant.

The most comprehensive source of information for a question like this is Douglas Ward's Cruising and Cruise Ships.  The current edition is 2020:

https://www.amazon.com/Berlitz-Cruising-Cruise-Ships-Guide/dp/1785731386/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

but a new edition is scheduled for release on November 14:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1839053445/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might find it at your local public library.

• Like 1