Coast Guard inspection on Anthem??

I just got a text that says it's from Royal Caribbean (I've never gotten a text from them, only emails.) This is what it says:

The U.S. Coast Guard will conduct an annual inspection onboard Anthem of the Seas. We may experience some boarding delays, so we ask that you arrive after 1:00 p.m. Please arrive no later than 1:30 p.m. All guests should be checked in and onboard by 2:00 p.m. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Could this be a joke? My son is going on Anthem tomorrow and he did get an email yesterday stating that the Coast Guard is doing an annual inspection on his sailing and the boarding times were changed.

How could it be an annual inspection if it's conducted twice in a 3 week span? There's no way everyone would arrive after 1 p.m. and all guests would be checked in and onboard by 2 p.m. Also, I have never gotten a text from RCI and it doesn't really look official to me. At the bottom it says "everbridge," whatever that means.

Did anyone else get this?

I'm on the phone with RCI right now.  The agent just checked and told me the Coast Guard inspection is scheduled for the sailings on April 2 and April 23.  It says in the message it's an annual inspection so I told her that doesn't make sense.  She's transferring me to a supervisor.  I'll update when I talke to them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

I'm on the phone with RCI right now.  The agent just checked and told me the Coast Guard inspection is scheduled for the sailings on April 2 and April 23.  It says in the message it's an annual inspection so I told her that doesn't make sense.  She's transferring me to a supervisor.  I'll update when I talke to them.

Maybe the annual inspection takes so long they split it into two days? 

• Like 4

Okay, I talked to a supervisor.  He said they Coast Guard inspection is definitely being done on tomorrow's sailing, April 2, and there will not be one on April 23.  He said he's not sure why we got this text message but it could possibly be a glitch.  So apparently the text message is real, even though I had never gotten one from them before. He thinks they sent a text due to the fact that the Coast Guard inspection is for tomorrow and since the date was so close, they sent a text rather than an email.

• Like 2

I had this happen on another cruise line, several years ago, and nobody was notified. We didn’t board until 2. So either go later, or take your chances with the other masses who need to be there early, and be prepared to wait. 

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sagosto63 said:

This must be true because it’s a complete cluster which screams RCCL

Not rccls fault.  They are at the mercy of the government agency performing a spot inspection.   

And Yes, that agency has the right to hold up boarding until they complete their inspection.

To the OP, we do receive texts from Royal on occassion.  We all received them the day before our sailing last weekend.   We are on Anthem right now.

Be thankful you received notice ahead of showing up at 10 am

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Sun Lover said:
I just got a text that says it's from Royal Caribbean (I've never gotten a text from them, only emails.) This is what it says:

The U.S. Coast Guard will conduct an annual inspection onboard Anthem of the Seas. We may experience some boarding delays, so we ask that you arrive after 1:00 p.m. Please arrive no later than 1:30 p.m. All guests should be checked in and onboard by 2:00 p.m. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Could this be a joke? My son is going on Anthem tomorrow and he did get an email yesterday stating that the Coast Guard is doing an annual inspection on his sailing and the boarding times were changed.

How could it be an annual inspection if it's conducted twice in a 3 week span? There's no way everyone would arrive after 1 p.m. and all guests would be checked in and onboard by 2 p.m. Also, I have never gotten a text from RCI and it doesn't really look official to me. At the bottom it says "everbridge," whatever that means.

Did anyone else get this?

April Fools! (Sorta)

5 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I had this happen on another cruise line, several years ago, and nobody was notified. We didn’t board until 2. So either go later, or take your chances with the other masses who need to be there early, and be prepared to wait. 

Agree, not new and does happen. I'd go later myself...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Because I'm a worry-wort that likes to plan.   

Do they allow you to bring camp chairs on board?   For people that drive, and if they knew that an inspection was happening, camp chairs would be handy.  Maybe even as a good deed.   

11 hours ago, sagosto63 said:

Coast guard told them a day before? 

LOL - my federal agency gave no advanced warning.  We just showed up and said "We are from the government and are here to help you" (or something like that). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2023 at 11:29 AM, Sun Lover said:
How could it be an annual inspection if it's conducted twice in a 3 week span?

I can't speak to any of the post other than what I'm quoted.  The government is big into semantics, scheduling, and blurred meanings and purposes.

My only guess is that an "annual Inspection" is conducted annually regardless of other spot/surprise/unannounced/Special Purpose/whatever inspections.  This may be the 3rd inspection in 3 weeks but it also may be THE "Scheduled Annual Inspection" while the others were otherwise. 

Just my guess!

• Like 2