Keeping track

Kustomcars

I'm echoing what others have said:  I have a computer file in which I keep the details of my (multiple) upcoming cruises. 

Note:  This is for upcoming cruises only, not memories of old trips.  

How I organize it: 

- I have a template at the end of file, which -- when I book a new cruise -- I copy and fill in with details.  

- The first page of the template is a calendar-type grid.  At the top of this first page is the name of the ship /our room number /our night-before hotel info /phone numbers /confirmation numbers.  

- I type in the dates /what islands we'll visit /time, etc.  On this grid I fill in dinner reservations, shore excursions, activities we want to enjoy (for example, we tend to sail in the fall, so I'd type in Monday Night Football at Playmakers for my husband).  I print this page, and we take it with us.  

- The second page is my standard packing list.  I might add to or subtract from this list based upon our plans:  longer or shorter cruise, specific needs for shore excursions, etc. 

- This second page also includes a list of "must dos":  reservations for the dog to go to the kennel, reserve shore excursions, make final payment, let the kids know our details.  This list includes dates, and it helps me remember what I've done for which cruises.   

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

I use a “cruises taken” excel document.  There is a spreadsheet listing cruise info….cruise line, ship, name of cruise, number of days and days get totaled at the bottom by cruise line.  There is also a spreadsheet for every continent or large area like Middle East or Caribbean and on those sheets cruise ports are listed with country, city, tour, tour company, tour cost and ideas for the next visit 

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Same here - if a cruise is worth remembering, I am likely to remember it - otherwise I am happy to forget it.

May all of your future cruises be memorable!

• Like 1

Same here - if a cruise is worth remembering, I am likely to remember it - otherwise I am happy to forget it.

Many of us old timers are prone to memory issues.If I want to remember something I have to write it down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many of us old timers are prone to memory issues.If I want to remember something I have to write it down.

That's not remembering something, it's writing it down.... you're 'cheating' a bit!

Edited by d9704011

46 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We are arguing semantics . I minored in English in college.I believe I am grammatically correct.

Really more a matter of vocabulary - I do not think grammar is in any way involved, nor does the issue at hand rise to being a question of semantics.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is the only way I can remember.

I suppose if the act of writing something down cements the occasion/event in your memory then you're OK as long as you don't (later) refer to the written record... best to have burned it or, better yet, eaten it.

9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I suppose if the act of writing something down cements the occasion/event in your memory then you're OK as long as you don't (later) refer to the written record... best to have burned it or, better yet, eaten it.

In 1976 I did a driving tour of Ontario. 47 years later I do not remember every area I visited .I have to refer to the pictures I took and the notes that I made.

20 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 1976 I did a driving tour of Ontario. 47 years later I do not remember every area I visited .I have to refer to the pictures I took and the notes that I made.

So, as I understand it, the photos and notes (the records) are what are necessary to remind you of many of those great places you visited in Ontario?  I'm sure you would remember running into a moose if that had happened; photos or notes notwithstanding.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

So, as I understand it, the photos and notes (the records) are what are necessary to remind you of many of those great places you visited in Ontario?  I'm sure you would remember running into a moose if that had happened; photos or notes notwithstanding.

I did not see a moose. The only thing that I remember is seeing a blackboard outside of a Police Station on which the listed the amount of crimes by category for the year .This was in Cornwall,a lot of zeros.

14 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I did not see a moose. The only thing that I remember is seeing a blackboard outside of a Police Station on which the listed the amount of crimes by category for the year .This was in Cornwall,a lot of zeros.

My wife enjoyed the best lobster dinner of her life in Cornwall.

Really more a matter of vocabulary - I do not think grammar is in any way involved, nor does the issue at hand rise to being a question of semantics.

What exactly is the issue at hand?  I think I lost track.  Should have taken notes to help me remember.   

On 4/5/2023 at 2:40 PM, Kustomcars said:

I recently tried to log onto cruise-ships.com, where I keep track of my cruises. They seemed to have shut down and the domain name is for sale. How does everyone else keep track of their details? Date, cruise line, ship name, how many days, ports, etc?

You may not want to go to this extreme, but I have done this with Word Press blogs. I wanted some way for family and friends to be able to follow along and see pictures.