Conquest - direct vs agency if no cost difference

FrugalVG

Hey all,

I'm looking at a 4 night Conquest cruise later this month out of Miami. It will be myself, my wife and our 2 year old. We are eying a balcony room.

For my wife and daughter, it will be their first time cruising. I cruised previously, but over 15 years ago!

The price I am getting booking direct via Carnival is the same as what I am getting quoted via agencies (and via *****). The agencies are throwing in a bit of on board credit, but nothing crazy.

With no savings available, is it better to book direct via Carnival? Any better odds at getting some sort of upgrade (it'll be my wife's birthday during the trip)?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

the price is the price with carnival in general. They do that so everyone is on an equal playing field generally. 

I’ll take the OBC no matter how small personally so I usually book with an agent. Even $25 is $25 I don’t have to spend for very little effort on my end. 

Occasionally you can find the travel agencies discounting the prices but not often.  I suspect that happens when they've committed to selling x numbers of cabins and are struggling to reach that number.  The one nice thing about booking directly with the cruiseline is that you can work directly with them if some problem comes up.  If you go through a TA, everything needs to be handled by them. Carnival can't really even talk to you. We book both ways.

Secondly, you won't be getting an upgrade regardless the booking technique.  You MAY get an upsell call in the weeks ahead of the cruise. 'We can 'upgrade' you to Cabin XYZ for $$'.

Edited by jsglow

I agree w @jsglow that you won’t be offered an upgrade either way; many people celebrate special events on a cruise. I usually won’t book w a TA unless there is a pretty decent cost benefit. I’ve had good TAs, neutral, and a really bad one. A few dollars in OBC isn’t work the risk of a really bad one. If you book direct you can’t work out any price drops or issues directly with the cruise line.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I agree w @jsglow that you won’t be offered an upgrade either way; many people celebrate special events on a cruise. I usually won’t book w a TA unless there is a pretty decent cost benefit. I’ve had good TAs, neutral, and a really bad one. A few dollars in OBC isn’t work the risk of a really bad one. If you book direct you can’t work out any price drops or issues directly with the cruise line.

One other topic I'll broach.  We've got a long time 20+ year veteran PVP working on our behalf at Carnival.  She's helped us with numerous complicated arrangements (including Europe) and shepherded us through the incredible challenging times during Covid.  I never once sat on a phone for hours like others did.  She completely understands those rare occasions where she can't touch a price I can get elsewhere.  It does happen infrequently at 'last minute'. But we will never abandon her over $25. No chance. 

Edited by jsglow

I book through an agency that usually gives between 8-10% back as OBC.  That is truly the only reason I use them for instead of just booking myself.  We are not needy cruisers, some seem to be on the phone weekly with their agent needing to change something or ask some random question. 

I do the planning and research up front and know exactly what I am booking.   Travel agents are a dying business and the consumer has all the info they will ever need at the click of a mouse but as long as they cut my cost I will use them.

A good TA beats a bad PVP and versa vica.  I have gotten upgrade/upsells regardless of how the booking went through, it is a function of how full the ship is and what the demand is for cabins.  The difference is how the upgrade/upsell comes to you.  Previous commenters are correct, once you book with a TA, Carnival will only work through the TA.  I have never gotten anything extra out of my PVP, the TA has given some small gifts (welcome aboard cake, Carnival beach bag, etc).  These are nice but small perks.  

One kind word about the TA, they are local and commissions, etc stay in your community.  

Unless it's a expensive cabin, my TA has said he doesnt want bookings below $750 total. Just saying this and I dont mind, as he says what little commission he gets isnt worth printing it out and tracking with the IRS.

Since yours is 4 days .. there is probably a reason they are offering very little obc. I've seen this in the past. TAs just dont always make enough on cheap bookings it's worth their time. Cruisefare are going up so it's less and less likely to find inexpensive cruises. My next 2 in sept are less .. everything else in my signature is over to way over. My carnival 14 day just keeps going up if i were to book it now.

I'm just saying things from a TA point of view. The commission on a 4 day might not be worth their time. ..though idk the amt of your booking. I prefer to book thru him as he makes sure its paid off on time and with rcl certain discounts have to be applied. 

56 minutes ago, Cruising_Addict said:

Always booked directly with Carnival. Then you have control over your booking and can make changes whenever you need to. Without having to rely on someone calling you back to find out what you need changed, and then you waiting for them to make the change. 

My TA answers emails usually within 10 minutes, and hes the one on hold solving issues. 

I booked with a TA, connecting cabins with DW and I  in one, kids in the other. TA called Carnival to make sure the cabins were linked, as required, and we paid the deposit with gift cards, so they had to call Carnival anyway.

Carnival representative failed to properly link the cabins.  Kids cabins were cancelled by Carnival, without notice to us or the TA. I only noticed because I was looking at excursions.

I called TA. TA still had booking on their system, so they hadn't been notified of cancelation.  TA called Carnival, and was told it was cancelled because not linked.  They said they could rebook it as cabin was still available (thankfully) but the VIFP rate I had used was no longer available and it would be $500 or so more. TA booked the cabin at the higher rate to make sure no one else took it, but said they would work out the rate change. TA calls back a couple of hours later to let us know what happened.

TA records all calls, and TA got in touch with Carnival manager, played the recording that clearly had the request for the cabins to be properly linked. TA got Carnival to reinstate the original rate plus an additional $50 OBC for our troubles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I booked with a TA, connecting cabins with DW and I  in one, kids in the other. TA called Carnival to make sure the cabins were linked, as required, and we paid the deposit with gift cards, so they had to call Carnival anyway.

Carnival representative failed to properly link the cabins.  Kids cabins were cancelled by Carnival, without notice to us or the TA. I only noticed because I was looking at excursions.

I called TA. TA still had booking on their system, so they hadn't been notified of cancelation.  TA called Carnival, and was told it was cancelled because not linked.  They said they could rebook it as cabin was still available (thankfully) but the VIFP rate I had used was no longer available and it would be $500 or so more. TA booked the cabin at the higher rate to make sure no one else took it, but said they would work out the rate change. TA calls back a couple of hours later to let us know what happened.

TA records all calls, and TA got in touch with Carnival manager, played the recording that clearly had the request for the cabins to be properly linked. TA got Carnival to reinstate the original rate plus an additional $50 OBC for our troubles.

That's a GREAT travel agent! 

When I started cruising, I used to use an online site that booked cruises only. They usually had some type of special offer, onboard credit, free gratuitues, etc. The did charge a $25 service fee, but the extra perk(s) were usually more than that. I even had a really great agent that I could call to book or if I needed to make changes. That being said.... it is my opinion that having a PVP (or whatever they are calling themselves these day) is pretty important. It's great to have JUST ONE PERSON handling your booking. If you need to make a changes or have any questions, they are just a phone call away... I love that I can call my person, leave a message, and she gets back to me usually within 24 hours. She will make sure I get the best deal, best cabin, etc.

She really likes me because when I call her, I have all my details ready...ship, date, cabin #, etc....

Yes, you can get these same deals by booking directly at the website, but #1. whose going to help you if you need to make a change? #2. PVP's need some good steady clients to keep their numbers up, so help them out....

Also, if you get a PVP that you don't care for.... ask around, I'm sure people on here can give you the ext # of a good one. 😉 

• Like 1

We use a TA for land vacations only - and then only for "out of the country" trips we take - Galapagos, South Africa, France/England, etc.  Otherwise we use our pvp, who is wonderful.  She handles any problems we may have within minutes of calling/leaving a message.  I have heard some horror stories of TA's not returning calls for days, not booking correctly, etc.  I think it is six of one, half dozen of another in opinions on what you should do.  It is a short cruise - do what you feel is best for you.

The difference to me between a pvp and a ta is a pvp is on carnivals side a ta takes your side.

My ta went to bat for me 3 times during covid, got cancelled anyway but he fixed things where rcl offered something else.

My pvp I'm still listed with says she is considered so good she flies to miami to teach new pvps. She is technically excellent. We had some arguments over a few things. Once I boarded without having checked my cabin number. I just assumed it was what I booked. She says it was a upgrade, to me I wanted the bigger cabin I booked. Her stance was carnival has the right to change anyones cabin without notice. I sure think they should have notified me and continue to believe carnival should have notified me. I unpacked in the cabin I booked but started to wonder when a welcome letter on the desk was to someone else. I went out the cabin leaving my stuff inside and shut the door. Went to ask and found out nope the letters werent in error .. my cabin was elsewhere. Then had to convince a steward why my stuff was in the cabin to let me in. Lol

I also disagreed how carnival handled hurricane ike and a few things over the years.

If there is a issue your pvp may take carnivals side, not yours. My ta is more to my liking presently. 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I also disagreed how carnival handled hurricane ike and a few things over the years. 

So do you think your TA would have been able to move the hurricane out of your ship's way?  🤣