Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Today is a sunny day and on the hot side.  Temps running 80-90. 

I hardly saw an empty chair both in Retreat and on the decks.   Anything in shade was staked out by Chair Hogs. 

I couldn’t figure where the had the court setup for Pckleball but finally after a couple laps found them.   The use a cleared out area in the patio for both jazzer size and Pickleball. 

Maybe it’s just me but seems like a weird area. 

IMG_2110.thumb.jpeg.8253b90bd62f19ad185ccb0a4a578bbf.jpeg

IMG_2112.thumb.jpeg.a873d0806450c170306fcac6b8fb9eee.jpeg

I wonder how noisy it would be on the Sunset Bar when they playing pickle ball 🤔

it could be pretty annoying

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I wonder how noisy it would be on the Sunset Bar when they playing pickle ball 🤔

Agree..it is a very noisy game.   They had to  move the courts at our winter place so folks could enjoying sitting out at the pool area..The ball strike sound is sooo irritating!

i think they should find an interior basement location..like where bowling would be located

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

The Crabcakes were very delicate Lump Crab with no filler at all - It just falls apart when you stick you fork into it.      The Ruben was a huge appetizer but Iain said was really good.

The Lobster is tender, sweet and sitting on a bed of cream corn custard with little chunks of smoked ham that give a wonderful burst of flavor.  

The Branzino was delicious -  It is totally fresh and skin removed.   They create a wonderful crispy bread crust on top and sits on a bed of Bok Choy and a delicious flavorful foam.

That sounds amazing! Just sitting here living vicariously on your thread after a long day of work! 

I have not been inclined to book an Edge class cruise as we book balcony cabins and do not think we would like the infinite verandas. I do have to admit your dinner in Eden with the crab cake, lobster and lemon dessert have me tempted just for an attempt for that meal. 
Enjoy your trip. We board Summit next week.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Is you're preference still the older Michael's Club layout vs the E-Class Retreat Lounge now that you're been on a 2nd E-Class ship? 

I think my favorite is the S-Class Post Revolution where you can sit around the bar.

I hate to rage on but they should lock Kelly in a room and the Lounge and have her "enjoy" the uncomfortable chairs.   They are beautiful but the bench with the padding isn't high enough and the wood digs into your back.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

If you ever return and want to do it, Iain could stay on the ground and they'd drive him out to the landing zone in a cart to watch you. 🙂

There were some doing that when I was waiting for my flight - Dad and Son jumped, Mom and Daughter went out to watch.

I once talked him into doing a zipline --- many years ago.    The day before our arrival in Cost Rica an RCL bust had been hijacked and a 80 old ex Marine jumped the attacker broke his neck and killed him. 

Our Captain decided to skip the port for safety reason.   When he announced it -- -Iain sighed ---- There is a God.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

7 hours ago, JintyGirl said:

Is his real name John? Wondering as very common in the west of Scotland to be named John on your birth certificate, but to be called Iain all your life! 

No -- just Iain and no middle name.    His father's name was John Bailey Crawford Johnston but went by Jack.     Funny thing is that Iain has a 1st Cousin with a name of Ian.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, I think I have pics inside Westminster Abbey, know I have them from the Sistine Chapel, Taj Mahal and Neuschwanstein.  Taj and Neuschwanstein were not forbidden when I was there many, many years ago…. EM

I have pictures inside the Sistine Chapel, Taj Mahal --- Our guide must have show 100 of us.  

A couple other places they don't allow pictures is the U.S. Treasury Printing, The Doll House in Windsor Castle and Customs Clearance Area at any U.S. airport.

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Have you tried using the App to see. 

If you open the Celebrity App, click on the Calendar icon (top center), select a day, and then open the Daily Planner at the at the bottom of the screen, there will be a banner across the top showing the dress code for the evening.  You have to do it day by day but it's proven to be accurate for me so far. 

Thanks. Yes, app is only showing ‘Chic photo shoot’ on day 7. Nothing on app or browser re dining or menus. Others on roll call mentioned not having access to menus as well.  It’s a waiting game. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think my favorite is the S-Class Post Revolution where you can sit around the bar.

I think that's a happy and ideal compromise in having a Retreat Lounge with a real bar that you can sit at AND it having an up-to-date decor that's brighter and less like a stuffy Men's Club. 

Edited by kwokpot

48 minutes ago, hcat said:

Agree..it is a very noisy game.   They had to  move the courts at our winter place so folks could enjoying sitting out at the pool area..The ball strike sound is sooo irritating!

i think they should find an interior basement location..like where bowling would be located

I don't think the sound mattered on this ship.  They had a tournament this afternoon.   The music was so loud at the pool I couldn't even hear my book with Noise Cancellation on.    Didn't hear a thing from the tournament.

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I think that's a happy and ideal compromise in having a Retreat Lounge with a real bar that you can sit at AND it having an up-to-date decor that's brighter and less like a stuffy Men's Club. 

The old Michael's club really did have a Men's Club atmosphere.   When we first started sailing on Millennium -  It was a Cigar and smoking bar.  Times have changed.

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have pictures inside the Sistine Chapel, Taj Mahal --- Our guide must have show 100 of us.  

A couple other places they don't allow pictures is the U.S. Treasury Printing, The Doll House in Windsor Castle and Customs Clearance Area at any U.S. airport.

yes I took photos back in 1985.  I am on the Edge from Barcelona and one of my excursions is Papal trail that includes the summer houses and then back to Vatican.  So I can not now take photos with my nice digital camera even with flash OFF. If true well thats just damn swell.....

• Thanks 1

It cooled off this afternoon around 3:30 and was able to complete my 20,000 steps.  

Earlier it was like dodging sheep while trying to walk.   I can really tell the ship is at full capacity. 

it was really nice late afternoon 

IMG_2123.thumb.jpeg.2c149d6633e743e979ac8c9c336ea8a5.jpeg

Love some of the sculptures on Apex. 

IMG_2127.thumb.jpeg.7612517b9a216b62d9bed892b1f9da75.jpeg

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That's incredible.    Are you going to bid on one?

No, we like the cabin we have , same location as the TA in 2024 to Argentina on the equinox

also it would double our cruise price with out much again, 

The only upgrade would be Butler, and Luminae , no Retreat deck on Reflection 

We have about 20 friends on the cruise , no in a suite so dinners would be lonely 😁

here the min bids in CAD , we in V-2 now 

IMG_2889.thumb.png.b63cfc2dec677383e0cf08085b280675.png
IMG_2888.thumb.png.0ab78274d5b3593636b816f64139ae54.png

Ok all my friends.   

We all remember the outrage of the cutbacks at the dinner OVC.   

ilI went up at 5:30 to see how bad it was.  Maybe they listened to the complaints but even though we have never had dinner there, the offerings impressed me.  

Definitely no waiting on lines. 

IMG_2161.thumb.jpeg.9afb34ea5a89dd76b77c012194c41432.jpeg

IMG_2159.jpeg

IMG_2158.jpeg

IMG_2157.jpeg

IMG_2156.jpeg

IMG_2155.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

IMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2152.jpeg

IMG_2151.jpeg

IMG_2150.jpeg

IMG_2149.jpeg

IMG_2148.jpeg

Grill station steak, chicken, pork and fish

IMG_2146.jpeg

IMG_2143.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2145.jpeg

Turkey carvery

IMG_2142.jpeg

IMG_2141.jpeg

IMG_2140.jpeg

IMG_2137.jpeg

IMG_2138.jpeg

IMG_2139.jpeg

IMG_2136.jpeg

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

IMG_2133.jpeg

IMG_2132.jpeg

Deserts

IMG_2130.jpeg

IMG_2129.jpeg

IMG_2128.jpeg

IMG_2147.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, hcat said:

great EDEN review.. thanks for posting the pics and info.  We are looking forward to trying it on Ascent..now that the menu is more our taste.

Yes, great review. I sadly probably won't be returning with this new menu. I love the one in Feb 2020 (I don't think it was 100% the OG one, but maybe?) but this one has fewer choices of things I'd eat. Pretty much none of the appetizers and *maybe* the filet main dish. I don't do seafood cooked or raw.

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Agreed. Honestly, I'm pretty easy going, but if having to listen to a stupid made up game is interrupting my relaxing/reading time, I will be at Guest Services complaining about it.

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, I think I have pics inside Westminster Abbey,

Yeah, I'd have to find my scrapbook, but I'm pretty sure I have pictures inside Westminster.

I kind of hate that they gave up fighting it at the Academia and allow pictures now. It was wonderful when I was in Florence 12 years ago and no photos were allowed. You could really appreciate the David for itself without dealing with people trying to get the perfect selfie.

47 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The old Michael's club really did have a Men's Club atmosphere.   When we first started sailing on Millennium -  It was a Cigar and smoking bar.  Times have changed.

dh loved it..

cigar smokers are now relegated to chairs along the bocce ct..S class..

QM 2 has a great cigar bar..loved it b/ c dh could  be in there ..glass enclosed.. and I could sit just outside enjoying my Baileys..smoke free