Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

2 minutes ago, miched said:

In our cabin on the Beyond there was a book with all of the artwork on board.  I don’t know if it was for the taking but we left it.  

A friend of mine has a BMW Isetta.  I seen this picture on the Edge so I took it for him.  Then there were these on the Apex and Beyond

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

E2BDD5C2-F42D-4BFF-BDE9-E30A24667AF5.jpeg

5E768966-4480-4684-A1E0-13F114B40C22.jpeg

4553E7A6-35CD-4B5E-B006-5E2776CA92E6.jpeg

I have the books for EDGE and BEYOND.  Just as I was organizing an art crawl for our Roll Call on our first EDGE CRUISE..Celebrity came out with its tour.  It was a great tour and we loved it..alot less work for me!

Can't wait to add ASCENT and APEX .....

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

An aside on Luminae food.    Iain suggested I speak with Yuksel about the poultry before leaving a negative comment.    We were on the Summit to Greenland B3B he was also the MD.  

On the positive side the Fish Cook really knows what he's doing and have enjoyed every fish dish we have ordered. 

I agree with Iain on letting Yuksel know about the lack of quality in the poultry offerings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

An aside on Luminae food.    Iain suggested I speak with Yuksel about the poultry before leaving a negative comment.    We were on the Summit to Greenland B3B he was also the MD.  

On the positive side the Fish Cook really knows what he's doing and have enjoyed every fish dish we have ordered. 

This is always the best method.  I worked and ran hotels resorts, almost went working on a cruise line rcl, at one point.  Always address any issues right away before leaving a bad comment.  The outcome will 99% be a positive for all concerned.  The after the fact comments reviews are good but mistakes happen and easily rectified.  One of the main reason I been sailing celebrity since the zenith days, miss that ship,  almost every time I have had any issue the situation is rectified and or noted so it does not happen again. Tbh most of the celebrity cruises I been on, not as many or even close to what you have done 22 for me all 10+ days except 1 work gets in the way to much, I usually ask to meet either with hotel manager or f&b director just to chat every cruise. 

always enjoyed your reviews and insight. I only have 2 cruises booked my usual thanksgiving getaway, been flip flopping last few years either an ai or cruise for that, and my first TA next year April on beyond to Italy.  Damm work gets in the way too much but got approved for 1 month off for the 14 day TA and 10 days in Rome.  Have a great trip seems you always do 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to agree that the Free Cruise is indeed an incentive.   We will hit that in March of next year.  

I have to say our "free Zenith Cruise" was very memorable.   As we were on Final into FLL at 11:30 PM I received a text -  All ships have been grounded due to the Covid shutdown.     It took us 2 days to get a flight home.

We were supposed to be on that cruise with you. Finally made it up a few weeks ago 😂

We would all benefit from any feedback you care to share given your product knowledge and interest in good food.  So, thank you.

If you decide to say something about the possibly tired menu, protein quality, or systemic items, please seek out Martin. We don't think he was onboard two weeks ago, or instead we spoke with Adrian.  From what we saw in this video (Luminae galley tour toward end):  

he has some ability to process that sort of feedback, Christophe, too.  *The thumbnail picture doesn't do the casual tour with Martin justice.  Lots of tidbits sprinkled in.  It's a one on one stroll so not the same as the excursion "tour".  

Btw (possibly well known and not intending to make this travel log about feedback), we had used the QR code form in the celebrity today (the form was convenient, and our feedback was not something Luminae related) and folks descended on us in a constructive and positive way within hours.

Edited by Cap_D

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sure looks like you are suffering.   Fantastic photo.    Are you posting a live on Seaborne?   We definitely have Seaborne on our list.   We are defecting from Celebrity after 23 years -   my simple way of seeing what's out there due to Celebrity's decision to make their loyalty useless to us.   If you travel in a suite even as as Zenith it's useless as you have to now book all inclusive duplication all of our "Free Benefits" .     Might as well enjoy a real Premium Line

We are posting live from the Seabourn Odyssey.   We anchored outside of Atuona in Hiva Oa, see even spell check knows nothing about these islands.   We had to skip the port as seas were too rough for the tenders.   Captain is doing a scenic sail around the islands instead.   Entertainment is not to Celebrity standards but food is excellent.    Tonight I have counted 17 entree choices between the classic and daily evening menu but it includes 4 vegan entrees.    This is a repositioning cruise so it is less expensive.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

shhh... Running Cigarettes over the boarder from S.C. to Tennessee.    I could buy them for 25 Cents a pack and sell them for 50 Cents a pack... 

😁 I need to know more!  What were you doing in SC?  And you had to have crossed NC to get into TN.

13 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

We'll miss your Live Reviews on the Celebrity Board, hopefully you'll continue to do your Live Reviews on the other cruise lines.  

Don’t worry.  You won’t get rid of us that easy.  I will be posting a comparison of Ponant in September

We have 11 Celebrities booked thru December 2024. 

Remember we are cheating on Celebrities- call it the 23 year itch.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Up early.   Enjoying arrival at Port Everglades.   Beautiful 72 degree morning.   Really peaceful and quiet.  

IMG_2474.thumb.jpeg.b9699cef8810be90288bc6e17a6b295e.jpeg

IMG_2473.thumb.jpeg.be0450d3fd87907f7fdf4cab92f5a392.jpeg

IMG_2470.thumb.jpeg.4374d5827c0f0ae5df1edfab479b69d2.jpeg

IMG_2472.thumb.jpeg.fcc4db4c069e36034f8a5edfe798d41f.jpeg

in all our years cruising..never had pics like these...what time were these taken?   the lighting and relections are excellent!  enjoy your day!

14 hours ago, yogini06 said:

I hope you explain these issues in your post cruise survey.  A friend of mine has an identical issue booking a future cruise in a suite

I will.  I may also have some very interesting lunch conversation.    The next cruise will have 20 Zeniths.    This will be over the threshold where they have a lunch with the Captain and executive staff.  You never know which officer will be sitting next to you.   

That is one of many of the Zenith complaints.  The lack of consistency.    Many ships have Zenith lunch’s with as few as 4.   The E-Class have a hard limit of 15 before they have one. 

• Like 2

It is so peaceful sitting on the deck watching the sun raise.  People are coming alive and noise from all the fishing boats have begun to drown out the quiet with only birds chirping.  

IMG_2478.thumb.jpeg.557c621b29b879e1c7dd2c5b0d3e2616.jpeg

IMG_2475.thumb.jpeg.88e3ab9e5cb28eb7f36509cd6a24cca0.jpeg

IMG_2476.thumb.jpeg.032149c8e5aa71dee24f65e1ed3a985b.jpeg

• Like 28

12 hours ago, miched said:

In our cabin on the Beyond there was a book with all of the artwork on board.  I don’t know if it was for the taking but we left it.  

A friend of mine has a BMW Isetta.  I seen this picture on the Edge so I took it for him.  Then there were these on the Apex and Beyond

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

E2BDD5C2-F42D-4BFF-BDE9-E30A24667AF5.jpeg

5E768966-4480-4684-A1E0-13F114B40C22.jpeg

4553E7A6-35CD-4B5E-B006-5E2776CA92E6.jpeg

I love the treadmill on.  She is on the stairway on 11 Forward. 

we will never get to ZENITH..We will remain at E + forever....esp now that we are cruising much less frequently...love our Winter Home  so wanderlust has waned!

but for ZENITHS  is it really about  lack of elevated perks or happiness or tiredness of the X experience...?  

good to try new cruise lines..some never returned but many others have 

Gen X (Charla) ..who is a frequent blogger here but not Zenith) recently tried something new and seemdd to have enjoyed it, but now but appears to be back to X  for her next few. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is so peaceful sitting on the deck watching the sun raise.  People are coming alive and noise from all the fishing boats have begun to drown out the quiet with only birds chirping.  

IMG_2478.thumb.jpeg.557c621b29b879e1c7dd2c5b0d3e2616.jpeg

IMG_2475.thumb.jpeg.88e3ab9e5cb28eb7f36509cd6a24cca0.jpeg

IMG_2476.thumb.jpeg.032149c8e5aa71dee24f65e1ed3a985b.jpeg

are you using any filters?

12 hours ago, hcat said:

On our Retreat cruise on BEYOND, we found this pool area crowded.  Some folks staked out their spot intp the pool or on the over water seats and  did not budge..hard to get in for a quick dip!

On the day we did not go to port,  we got up there early and had a great time..After lunch it filled up fast so we re-located..

We are mostly Solarium users,  but  also enjoyed the outdoor pool on BEYOND....we went early..quite alot of space to swim.

We hope to book a poolside cabana on Ascent..they allegedly will face the sea?????  And to those reading...If this is not true pls  do not  jump all over me! Verify on your own..

Wondering if Beyond was odd man out.   Both Apex and Edge face out to ocean.  Only problem is the usually have the Magic Carpet block the View. 

10 hours ago, bikerunner said:

This is always the best method.  I worked and ran hotels resorts, almost went working on a cruise line rcl, at one point.  Always address any issues right away before leaving a bad comment.  The outcome will 99% be a positive for all concerned.  The after the fact comments reviews are good but mistakes happen and easily rectified.  One of the main reason I been sailing celebrity since the zenith days, miss that ship,  almost every time I have had any issue the situation is rectified and or noted so it does not happen again. Tbh most of the celebrity cruises I been on, not as many or even close to what you have done 22 for me all 10+ days except 1 work gets in the way to much, I usually ask to meet either with hotel manager or f&b director just to chat every cruise. 

always enjoyed your reviews and insight. I only have 2 cruises booked my usual thanksgiving getaway, been flip flopping last few years either an ai or cruise for that, and my first TA next year April on beyond to Italy.  Damm work gets in the way too much but got approved for 1 month off for the 14 day TA and 10 days in Rome.  Have a great trip seems you always do 

I agree 100%.   I can’t say most items are complaints, but observations of the different vibes and feeling I’m getting on an Edge Class ship vs S and M.   

I’m sure you know what I mean - major different feeling on  Zenith vs Millennium.  

ok.   I also miss the days of the private upstairs lounge and dining in the sky with linen service and candles on the tables in First Class on the first 747’s. 

I guess as we grow older the world changes around us.  Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

but for ZENITHS  is it really about  lack of elevated perks or happiness or tiredness of the X experience...?  

Opinions vary from person to person. Celebrity is not what it was years ago. Most Zeniths have been sailing for 10, 20, 30+ years and have seen aspects of a Celebrity cruise that they once liked being removed over the years. I really liked Retreat Lounge access, but unless I'm in a Suite, I don't receive it anymore. I really liked dinners with officers. As Jim said, unless there are 15+ Zeniths, no lunch or anything. The issue for me is nostalgia. I liked things the way they were before and almost all changes are coded negative for me now.

Cruising is still fun, but the fact that I have less Zenith benefits now than before is not at all a good thing IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cap_D said:

We would all benefit from any feedback you care to share given your product knowledge and interest in good food.  So, thank you.

If you decide to say something about the possibly tired menu, protein quality, or systemic items, please seek out Martin. We don't think he was onboard two weeks ago, or instead we spoke with Adrian.  From what we saw in this video (Luminae galley tour toward end):  

he has some ability to process that sort of feedback, Christophe, too.  *The thumbnail picture doesn't do the casual tour with Martin justice.  Lots of tidbits sprinkled in.  It's a one on one stroll so not the same as the excursion "tour".  

Btw (possibly well known and not intending to make this travel log about feedback), we had used the QR code form in the celebrity today (the form was convenient, and our feedback was not something Luminae related) and folks descended on us in a constructive and positive way within hours.

Thanks for posting.  We have been on many kitchen tours.   Almost every cruise we get at least one invite.   Also if you do the Chef’s dinner they take you on a tour.   

Years ago 2x we signed up for a Cooking Class limited to 8 and we were coached to make our appetizers and main dish in Murano.   Afterward they served us a beautiful lunc in the wine cellar room.    I’m sure they tossed what we made with all the mistakes and served the real thing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I have the same problem with my hearing aids.

When walking at home I often use a tennis headband and pull over ears to block the wind.  I have some in the ship with me.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We are posting live from the Seabourn Odyssey.   We anchored outside of Atuona in Hiva Oa, see even spell check knows nothing about these islands.   We had to skip the port as seas were too rough for the tenders.   Captain is doing a scenic sail around the islands instead.   Entertainment is not to Celebrity standards but food is excellent.    Tonight I have counted 17 entree choices between the classic and daily evening menu but it includes 4 vegan entrees.    This is a repositioning cruise so it is less expensive.

I’ll go over and follow.  

I met a couple from Newfoundland and they were saying they saw on news that the first cruise of the season arrived yesterday and couldn’t dock due to so much ice in the harbor.  At least you are in the warmth of paradise. 

17 Entrees.     I have Entre envy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

😁 I need to know more!  What were you doing in SC?  And you had to have crossed NC to get into TN.

I was going to UT Knoxville.   We would go over and pick them up at the Cherokee Reservation.  It wasn’t far and my Roommate and I always scheduled no classes on Friday and would go fly fishing near Gatlinburg.   Sorry mistyping.  It was NC not SC.  

All the relatives on my mothers side were from Sevier County and Pigeon Forge (Dolly Parton hadn’t yet made it big but was a local entertainer).  

• Like 1