Review: Vision of the Seas- Headed South For Spring Break! Was My Wife Right Yet Again?

We’re back from our trip on Odyssey which we really enjoyed. I’m mostly done dealing with all of the life “stuff” that always seems to be waiting for me when we come back from a trip. Finally getting a chance to catch up here on Cruise Critic and just finished catching up with your review. You and your family are awesome! 

Day 9 & 10

At Sea

IMG_0114.jpg.d8e4d3b706dbe04b498ea50e77a2b339.jpg

Well this day started off in the crapper!   Hahaha  I didn't mention this before now, but in my 25+ RCI cruises, I like to think I'm pretty familiar with their toilet system.  Well, this ship/cabin was different. 

Instead of just pressing the rectangular button and the vacuum instantly sucking everything down, with these toilets you had to press, and hold.  

As you held they would fill with water and then a flush.

It was odd, but it worked....   until it didn't  this morning. It filled and filled but the vacuum never kicked in. 

I know people often complain of toilet issues on ships, but this was a first time for us.

It took mechanic 1, then his supervisor, then another,   the taking a part of the closet to get to one toilet, and going in the bridge to get to the other.

It was too much to watch, I left them to it. lol,  when I came back,  the waste was gone,  but the toilet still required holding down the button, but it did plush.  oh well.

336779029_167453259098915_1316925665934185077_n.thumb.jpg.b20868c4929e9a06ca1cbebeae06389d.jpg

Sea days on the small ships are low key.   We enjoyed relaxing time on the deck, and it was still a little tough to find loungers as on all ships, but once we did it was just low key family time.  The kids actually chose to read, between swimming and sipping on their drinks. 

My wife was gung ho and eager for the games... family scavenger hunts, family feud style competitions, trivia  and sexiest man contests but after 7 days in a row of island hopping in the caribbean sun, she was outvoted, the girls and I just wanted to relax and do nothing.   So we did,  it was a very chill sea day.

70085911329__D6B42011-29CA-438C-8926-365126CF52E3.jpg.dde99bc09c557de1a430f8f7890f82af.jpg

We did go to the centrum for one of our family favorites, the egg drop contest, and watched families compete to see who could design the best contraption to safely drop an egg from the top of the centrum to the bottom.  There were designs with everything from an egg wrapped up in a kids underwear to sponges!   It's always great fun to watch and we got a kick out of the show.

IMG_0127.jpg.e8aa5a051f1bf6841dda29063d5c33b8.jpg

I did partake in my second massage, of the cruise and this one, well, it was amazing. I don't know what's it is with the massages lately but they've drastically improved for me.  I usually get one every cruise but lately I've had massages on the past few cruises that just have knocked it out of the park. 

IMG_0150.jpg.c223522a454b8393974a9b97161248b3.jpg

I don't know if there's a new vendor or something but I've been so impressed.  Today's massage was in the facial room because they were full, so it had a window and I had a great view from the aft of the ship, while I waited for my services to begin. 

IMG_0154.jpg.6f852a8fecce09bc98f18f3f9f15f122.jpg

We spent a lot of time in the concierge club again with the amazing Jamie,  from magic tricks with the girls to talking shop with me on all thing RCI I just couldn't say enough about his service.

IMG_0163.jpg.dff9f968fc663946e6464c6fc39c06b4.jpg

On night 10, I made a big run to the ATM, withdrew a significant amount of money and stuffed several envelopes. We always tip extra but I tipped super extra. From the concierge, to the host at Chops, everyone just was working so darn hard that week, so darn eager to please, even when they were being worked to the bone.   I have never spent that much money in tips but everyone deserved every bit of it. By the way, this huge medallion type thing in the Viking Crown declared it the Pinnacle Club Lounge. 

IMG_0167.jpg.a1629cbd1d7b0e80a35290d6d7b337b2.jpg

have no idea what that was about or what it means, since pinnacles can come in the concierge club and no one was ever sitting out there.  Sorry Mr. lowly diamond plus here, loves the Viking Crown.

Guess what? We're done with specialty dining,  we back to the main dining room these two nights.

337022303_977108077000459_6120877324363081612_n.thumb.jpg.c59a00f5c1c51af6f05951ab0759174c.jpg

First night was lobster night, it was fine, the usual menu, things were similar to normal.  But honestly. the whole extra charge thing is just nuts in my opinion.  Those tiny red lobster style caribbean tails don't really do much to feed big boys like myself, I need two.  But it's just not good enough to justify paying for it. 

IMG_0168.jpg.fc9f9c5767626fcd186a0a8430aeb69c.jpg

Even though I was significantly under budget on this cruise.   I just wouldn't pay for that.   The food was better, not good or great but better the final two nights.  

IMG_0121.jpg.82bdd8a9638c3da5f0d14381532b438d.jpg

After dinner night 9 we did the theater, and thats when we realized, there were no theater shows all week.  Like none that we recall seeing in the compass.  Like what did the royal caribbean singers and dancers do for the first 8 days of the cruise?   help clean cabins or wash dishes?

IMG_0118.jpg.23aeff79e7d6cf6055b5eecae6a098ab.jpg

Anyway we finally saw them and they were great, they put on a wonderful show, I just couldn't understand why there weren't more shows with them, like their usually are.  Boogie Nights, which we've seen them do before, seemed to be their one offering this cruise. Is this a cutback too?

IMG_0173.jpg.705a6c86878399477654d3a370a69d59.jpg

Day 10 there was a magician/comedian for the Farewell Show who was just blah in my opinion. but the kids were pseudo into them.  My wife always seems to crash before the shows, I don't think she made a single one this trip. lol

Post show Day 9 they had the 70's dance party, our cruise director Mey was great and rocked it, lots of energy, lots of fun.  I  think anyone who wanted a colorful ring  got one, and the energy in the centrum was wonderful as usual, that great little ship energy.

IMG_0134.jpg.e464357d696ac72d95f4b070b7688c6c.jpg

Can I give another shot out to my cabin steward and his amazing towel creations?  Every night we'd come back to a wow at the work he did.

337027891_1586544941865953_1765445792521808815_n.thumb.jpg.82d81fd7aa165aa46eb8eda3501c6aa7.jpg

We talked tonight as I came back while he was still doing turn down service, and he had someone with him.  He was getting off the ship with us and training his replacement, who I think got on board in St. Kitts before we left. 

He told me he was supposed to leave the ship the day we got on, but they had no one to replace him, so they asked him to please give him another week and he did.   You would have never known, as he gave us great service, but he was eager to get home to his sons, and I was so happy for him.

IMG_0177.jpg.0306a13423d8285132746dae094f857c.jpg

That night, I went out on the balcony and just reflected on the week, the family time, the islands visited, and yes the cruise itself.

Back to Port Everglades and the Celeb terminal once again.  SIMPLE getting off the ship, easiest departure ever.  Literally got up, had breakfast in chops, hit the potty, and off the ship we went.   We literally paused walking to grab our bags and were through customs in 30 seconds.   Major small ship win.

IMG_0182.jpg.af807c64816568d08ea5b6351c520712.jpg

Quick taxi to FLL,  rented a car for the day, and a brief delay before takeoff, but otherwise an uneventful flight home.

So in honor of Jerry Springer's death this week....

here's my final thoughts....

Do I like the new menu?

IMG_9932(1).jpg.8049d5ab28c32fb6af85879269b7582f.jpg

nope, not at all.  Dare I say it's like "ranch steak" all over again.   It's a bad move Royal, and you guys really need to dial it back.  We'll pay more, I know I will, but if the food offered in windjammer/and the main dining room were my only options I would have HATED this cruise.   Room service and the specialty dining made it worth it for me. My wife had sailed Adventure the week earlier and said the food was better on Adventure, still not good but better,  so perhaps it's somewhat ship specific, but I couldn't do it.   Right now it's the only reason I haven't booked my next cruise.  I'm thinking of celeb, or maybe even heaven forbid NCL for the first time.  I just know if I'm not in a suite or eating elsewhere I won't be happy.

Royal Service

336786348_138513729156212_3725235091874143253_n.thumb.jpg.3903cbe5d2dfd99f35e8e426577b75ec.jpg

Post pandemic I've sailed quite a bit,  and my experiences with service on Allure, Navigator, Odyssey, and Wonder were a real mixed bag on the service front.  Even Allure, my favorite and most traveled ship, really let me down.   I missed the days where everyone cared how you felt, and worked hard to make sure you were happy.   That was back on this ship 1000+ percent.  This was the Royal I know and love.  I was so happy to get that kind of service and attention back and it made me so pleased and so grateful.   Knowing on top of that how short staffed they are, made me appreciate this crew more than ever.  

The islands

336555042_866689254432526_2983131644091539752_n.thumb.jpg.81379c161a2cad6fc7ea70d9dedb8f1f.jpg

How could you go wrong?  "I've never had such amazing islands Dad, this was my favorite cruise hands down," said my oldest.   There was so much happening so much going on, and so many places to explore.  Oh how long it had been since I did Antigua and a first for St. Lucia.  but just six islands in a row, man oh man, it's double what you get on an Oasis class ship, and it was the gift that kept on giving.

The ship

IMG_0180.jpg.32060607e40d6faffe6439a2002925f6.jpg

I love Vision, I truly love her.  She's a great little ship.  Yes, she's showing her age, and honestly I'm like what happened to her,  She had not a speck of rust when we sailed on her in 2019 and she had a ton of it now just 4 years later.  I hated to not see her get the love she deserves.   Still, she's small but mighty with an amazing crew.  Never once got bored in 10 days, never once heard the kids say they were bored (and they did get bored day 2 on navigator!)   I am a fan of small ships.   My wife is on to something.   Our last Oasis class ship was Wonder, and she was crowded, too crowded, it degraded the experience there were just too many people on board.  I still love all the innovations of the big ships and I still know I will sail them,  but I think I'm more relaxed, more spoiled, more at peace with the older ships.  I know the vision class ships are nearing the end of their time, and I think our next cruises will be onboard them while we still can.     I also think we'll have to do a suite, because that extra level of service matters, and makes all the difference.

337166219_884583956179511_3871551213284234743_n.thumb.jpg.6f09e5401edff68e00048679a2834003.jpg

But what's next?  who knows.  I wanna do Icon, but I'm kinda boycotting it for not having a viking crown.  

I wanna do vision again, but it has to be a suite.

or do we see if celeb is the way is in better shape staffing and food wise....  

who knows?   but all in all I still rate this ship well, and encourage you all to sail her.  

Just budget cash to eat someplace other than the MDR and windjammer.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

On 4/21/2023 at 11:56 AM, xtremegk said:

@RCCL Fan Always love your reviews. Maybe it's just the writing and photog/video styles (former network radio reporter myself, 10 years between ABC & FOX), but I always feel like you and @Sea Dog have such a relatable style to chronically your experiences.

And as a big ship fan married to a small ship fan...you bring up a lot of points that are making me scope out some Vision class itineraries. My concern lately has been activities for the kids -- we have a 4.5 year old who is ALWAYS on the go and looking for what's next. O & Q class are easy for entertaining him.

Thank you so much!  @Sea Dog is a fantastic journalist as well.   I'm really feeling torn if not converted, there's a lot to love about the small ships.

On 4/24/2023 at 3:16 PM, topnole said:

We have the same cabin area as you.  But ours is a not a suite.  Same deck and same location I believe.  Ours has curtains and not doors to the sleeping areas, but still a bunk area and still 2 bathrooms which is a huge benefit given our kids are the age where they seemingly always have to go at the same time.  The cabin is the reason we booked it.  

I *think* i know the cabin you're talking about,   my wife had her eye on that cabin.  It's actually not near mine, but more midship, which would be great for a trans,  but yes it's significantly smaller,  without separate bedrooms but instead curtains,  and bunkbeds rather than full ones.  You'll have to make a video and show us!

• Like 1

Thanks for another great review, you always manage to bring everything to life so well. 

I much prefer the laid back atmosphere on the small and medium size ships too, Oasis class is just too big for me. We are going on Serenade later this year and looking forward to it, a bit apprehensive about the new menus though.

As you are thinking of other cruise lines I just wondered if you've ever considered Yacht Club on MSC? I think of it like a smaller ship experience on a big ship with upgraded food and fantastic service. It's become our new favourite.

Look forward to reading about it wherever you go.

Bravo Wayne on another fantastic review with your awesome story telling skills. Your honesty about the food is something I hope Royal will notice. Despite the food issues, I too would love to sail on Vision before they put her out to the scrapyard. I truly love these small ships too. Thanks again for your kind words I’ll be doing a semi live in October on Adventure. Looking forward to hearing your next adventure. Hopefully the food will be better. 
Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kernow said:

As you are thinking of other cruise lines I just wondered if you've ever considered Yacht Club on MSC? I think of it like a smaller ship experience on a big ship with upgraded food and fantastic service. It's become our new favourite.

everything I've read about the service experiences on them, has had me conclude MSC is not for us.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Bravo Wayne on another fantastic review with your awesome story telling skills. Your honesty about the food is something I hope Royal will notice. Despite the food issues, I too would love to sail on Vision before they put her out to the scrapyard. I truly love these small ships too. Thanks again for your kind words I’ll be doing a semi live in October on Adventure. Looking forward to hearing your next adventure. Hopefully the food will be better. 
Cheers,

Greg

Greg,  I almost titled the review "The Return of the Ranch Steak"   but figured I'd focus on the overall cruise and not just the MDR experience, because it truly was a great trip minus the food. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

everything I've read about the service experiences on them, has had me conclude MSC is not for us.

Fair enough. Still love RCL but Yacht Club honestly has the best service we've ever experienced on a cruise and most people seem to say the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kernow said:

Fair enough. Still love RCL but Yacht Club honestly has the best service we've ever experienced on a cruise and most people seem to say the same.

Thanks for the tip!

Another great review. You & Greg, (Sea Dog) never fail to succeed in telling your sailing experiences in such a delightful way. As I stated earlier, we hope to be able to sail with you and the family again in the near future. 

Thank You Again.

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed your review and insights. I am working on a group cruise where I have a lot of widows going.  Do you think 4 old ladies would fit well into your cabin?  I am not asking about the personality aspect more  about space and comfort.

I'm a Cruise Critic Board lurcker.  But I read everything about the RCI ships I'm looking at and those I've been on.  12 cruises on RCI.  All small ships.

I really enjoyed your review.  You worked hard to make this a memorable birthday/anniversary/spring break cruise with your lovely family. Your younger daughter reminds me so much of my own "little bit" niece with her lively personality which is evident in the photos.

I recently sailed on the Enchantment out of Baltimore on the 12-night Southern Caribbean itinerary (left mid February).  LOVED the island hopping!  Planned all excursions using TripAdvisor.  My friend and I had a wonderful, fun and safe time at reasonable prices. We had an OV cabin, with a super efficient, friendly cabin steward. Every crew member smiled, and you could feel they wanted our vacation to be extra special.

I want to say this about the Enchantment food in the Main Dining Room and the Windjammer.  In reading your review, I wondered if we were on the same cruise line.  Prior to the cruise, I had been reading about the streamlined menus in the MDR.  But what I experienced in the MDR and WJ was good to excellent at every meal. And the quality Park Cafe offerings filled in nicely between meals and late night.  Admittedly, I'm not a "foodie" but as a retired corporate warrior, I know a good meal when I see/eat one. The WJ offerings were international in nature, with a different theme every night. Prime rib available every night. Breakfast and lunch with broad choices and beverage service at your table at every mealtime.

The descriptions on the new menus were accurate as to what was plated and served to me. They were delicious. Only one entree was sent back for a replacement...too spicy for me.  Not the kitchen's fault.

I'd have to believe some food issues must be ship specific.

I'm sailing out of Baltimore again in February 2024.  This time it will be on Vision.  I hope the food quality issues on Vision will be straightened out soon. RCI, if you're reading this....get to it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this detailed review.  We sailed on Vision in December of 2022 and had the same lack-luster experiences in the MDR.  The buffet choices were underwhelming and limited as well for breakfast and lunch.

The cruise itself was fine with a terrific 10 day Southern Caribbean itinerary.  Getting off and back on the ship in port was a non-issue given its relatively small size.  

My wife and I chalked the poor food up to an inexperienced crew.  Having read you review I'm rethinking that idea.  My take is if Vision is sailing on a itinerary that really stands-out as desirable then it is fine as ones transportation and hotel.  Otherwise I would look to a newer more feature rich ship as a better option. 

On 5/1/2023 at 2:42 PM, Cherful59 said:

What a great review, I just finished reading it.  You have a lovely family?  Thanks for taking us along.

totally agreed! just spent the evening enjoying a leisurely read, fabulous!