Sure ain’t no dress code!

roupa

1 minute ago, PGHProducer said:

Can I please have you give this same rant to my mother in law... whose entire birthday I apparently ruined last year because she didn't like my shoes?

Have her give me a call, my number is BR-549.  I'll set her straight. 

2 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

MDR is pre plated food. Not much more than a glorified cafeteria.

Totally agree.  I've been holding off saying this but for those that think the MDR is some high-end 5-star restaurant, it isn't.  If you've eaten in places like the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, Canada, Le Bernardin, NY City, and sooooooo many others around the world, even Ruth's Chris, the MDR is barely a diner.

Don't get me wrong, that's not a cut to anybody or the cruise line, just reality.  

• Like 7

@PGHProducer I feel your pain getting stuck on a ship with a family member who is a real pill.

Reminds me of the family cruise we took in 2008.  My younger son and the love of his life FINALLY were engaged after knowing each other for 10 years.  The family was (still is) ecstatic.  He had followed her half way across the country to be with her while she furthered her education:  gave up his job, family, everything to be with her.

On the family cruise my MIL is sitting across from me in the Windjammer, and blurts out, "I guess there's no excitement for X and Y about getting married, because they've been living together and there's no 'mystery' left".

I wanted to punch her, but she was 85, and I don't hit people.  I left the table and got more food.  She died last November 30th, than goodness...................

Edited by pcur

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

I feel your pain getting stuck on a ship with a family member who is a real pill.

Reminds me of the family cruise we took in 2008.  My younger son and the love of his life FINALLY were engaged after knowing each other for 10 years.  The family was (still is) ecstatic.  He had followed her half way across the country to be with her while she furthered her education:  gave up his job, family, everything to be with her.

On the family cruise my MIL is sitting across from me in the Windjammer, and blurts out, "I guess there's no excitement for X and Y about getting married, because they've been living together and there's no 'mystery' left".

I wanted to punch her, but she was 85, and I don't hit people.  I left the table and got more food.  She died last November 30th, than goodness...................

Cringe Discord Emoji Clipart , Png Download - Transparent Png Meme ...

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

It is not really an opinion, but global standards.

Whether they are adhered or not is another thing. 

Although I have not visited such restaurants in Carolina. Maybe they are very casual with tablecloths. I am talking about restaurants similar to ship's restaurants. With Maitre D, sommeliers and such.

More like tradition than global standard. I do not participate in those traditions, I have my own. Another thing I find outdated... tablecloths. Again.. my opinion, not interested in changing anyone else's opinion as mine will not change either.

Oh a someone posted above about 150CP not allowing shorts. Well, I have dined in Khaki shorts in 150CP on 4 of the 5 Oasis class ships, so not sure what that is all about. 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Totally agree.  I've been holding off saying this but for those that think the MDR is some high-end 5-star restaurant, it isn't.  If you've eaten in places like the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, Canada, Le Bernardin, NY City, and sooooooo many others around the world, even Ruth's Chris, the MDR is barely a diner.

Don't get me wrong, that's not a cut to anybody or the cruise line, just reality.  

For a long time, I have said the MDR is just barely a step up from Applebees, etc., and in my opinion was that way before the pandemic. Now with the food decline that I have experienced, we are getting closer and closer to what I would call a full service Golden Corral. I will dress as appropriately as I would in those venues... which means no bathing suit. My opinion only. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I am not dining at Golden Corral so I cannot comment.

But I wonder why not bathing suit? Why stop in the middle?

I won't dine there either, but I have been there in the past. It's a buffet, which should tell you all you need to know.

Really, you do not see a difference in a bathing suit vs. Shorts and shirt? Sorry, that is a you issue, not a me issue.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tatka said:

But I wonder why not bathing suit? Why stop in the middle?

Bathing suits can be damp. Making the chair damp. Making it yucky for the next customer.

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

Although I have not visited such restaurants in Carolina. Maybe they are very casual with tablecloths. I am talking about restaurants similar to ship's restaurants. With Maitre D, sommeliers and such.

Can you refer us to these "global standards" that you speak of? 

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

MDR is pre plated food. Not much more than a glorified cafeteria.

Yes I agree especially after taking a ship tour and seeing the setup.

I like buffet Sinai can plate it as I choose as well as going to specialty restaurants.

And MDR had too many bosses walking around this I bet making wait staff on edge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Sommeliers??!?!?!?  Are you kidding me?  Not for at least 15 years.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, pcur said:

@PGHProducer I feel your pain getting stuck on a ship with a family member who is a real pill.

>>>Ouch

5 hours ago, Tatka said:

Went to a birthday dinner in Dallas 2 weeks ago. Dinner was at Nusr-Et. This is a 5 star steak and seafood house, we are talking $500 per head dinner. 8 couples, every man in the group dressed in pleated shorts, button down short sleeve shirts, and loafers (no socks GASP). No one looked twice. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Can you refer us to these "global standards" that you speak of? 

I travel a lot outside of US and thus seems to be pretty much a standard for evening restaurants of this type.

Royal Caribbean International seems to agree with me 😉 Of course they won’t be confrontation, but this is from their page

IMG_0362.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I travel a lot outside of US and thus seems to be pretty much a standard for evening restaurants of this type.

Royal Caribbean International seems to agree with me 😉 Of course they won’t be confrontation, but this is from their page

IMG_0362.jpeg

I travel outside of the US a lot also and I have seen plenty of instances of men wearing shorts in restaurants where tablecloths are used.

Also, I'm not seeing where RC agrees with you in what you posted regarding men wearing shorts when there are tablecloths present.

Based on what others on here have experienced, it seems like these "global standards" are really just your opinion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Tatka said:

IMG_0362.jpeg

You've conveniently left out, where it says, "When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

And in the "FORMAL NIGHTS":  "SUITS AND TIES, TUXEDOS, COCKTAIL DRESSES OR EVENING GOWNS ARE ALL ACCEPTABLE OPTIONS".  

Key word, "OPTIONS".   

Nowhere in you post does it restrict shorts.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tatka said:

IMG_0362.jpeg

But why does it matter to you at all? Whether it’s royal or a restaurant with table cloths (what do table cloths have to do with anything??)… why do you give even an iota of a care what someone else is wearing?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PGHProducer said:

But why does it matter to you at all? Whether it’s royal or a restaurant with table cloths (what do table cloths have to do with anything??)… why do you give even an iota of a care what someone else is wearing?

I am not policing anyone.
Just discussing etiquette. 😉 

If somebody shows up nude technically it shouldn’t matter to me either. And to you. I bet it will be discussed over and over. Why cannot this be discussed if it’s even suggested by cruise line? 

13 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

You've conveniently left out, where it says, "When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

And in the "FORMAL NIGHTS":  "SUITS AND TIES, TUXEDOS, COCKTAIL DRESSES OR EVENING GOWNS ARE ALL ACCEPTABLE OPTIONS".  

Key word, "OPTIONS".   

Nowhere in you post does it restrict shorts.  

Hah.. so why shorts are not listed as Acceptable OPTIONS for dining room during dinners? Or it’s even specified that shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

To me it’s a clear hint that shorts aren’t that welcomed during dinners. 

Edited by Tatka
  • Haha 2