Shorts at night

Lets Cruise!!

3 hours ago, jame_g said:

We pretty much only wore shorts all day, including to the dining room for dinner. Either denim or khaki, and usually with a nice resort casual type t-shirt or polo.

Denim shorts, seriously? What exactly is a nice t-shirt?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, mvh said:

Denim shorts, seriously? What exactly is a nice t-shirt?

A plain colored tshirt, probably. It's what I wear pretty much every meal on my cruises... a plain grey, black, blue tshirt. Along with Cargo shorts.  So to answer the original question...there is no rule about not wearing shorts at night. Be comfy, it's vacation

• Like 2

As a European (English) I can totally understand why MSC, an Italian line have no real dress policy when it comes to shorts and other casual wear.

When taking a summer beach type holiday in Europe (Spain, Italy, France, Portugal etc) you would be hard pressed to find anyone in trousers, jeans or any type of long pants for that matter on an evening, too warm for a start.

We have only been on 4 cruises, all RC and on each have dressed up on the formal night, me in a tux, wife and girls in evening dresses, we did plan to do the same on our upcoming MSC Seascape cruise for the gala night but after reading on here I don't think we will bother, we have enjoyed getting dressed up in the past on Royal but I think we may look a bit out of place on MSC as I get the impression we might be the only ones 😂

Edited by mcoler181
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

As a European (English) I can totally understand why MSC, an Italian line have no real dress policy when it comes to shorts and other casual wear.

When taking a summer beach type holiday in Europe (Spain, Italy, France, Portugal etc) you would be hard pressed to find anyone in trousers, jeans or any type of long pants for that matter on an evening, too warm for a start.

We have only been on 4 cruises, all RC and on each have dressed up on the formal night, me in a tux, wife and girls in evening dresses, we did plan to do the same on our upcoming MSC Seascape cruise for the gala night but after reading on here I don't think we will bother, we have enjoyed getting dressed up in the past on Royal but I think we may look a bit out of place on MSC as I get the impression we might be the only ones 😂

You will definitely not be the only ones dressed up on Gala night on Seascape.  We were on the 3/26 sailing and there were plenty of people dressed up and most want their pictures taken on the crystal stairs.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

You will definitely not be out of place on MSC.

It is those in tee shirts and shorts in the evening that stand out (usual assumption: American Carnival cruiser who doesn't know any better).

• Like 1

Quite the contrary, in our experience.  On RC the attire we see is the whole range, from tuxes to shorts.  On MSC the proportion who were dressed up was considerably higher.  Maybe those who spend the evening up on pool deck are in shorts, but in the dining rooms, bars, dance venues, theaters, we were impressed with how many dressed up.

You definitely won't be the only ones. In my experience there's a lot of variety amongst cruisers that encompasses everyone from those that can't be bothered to change out of their pool clothes to people wearing suits and gowns. Personally, we like to dress smartly for dinner, that's not a hardship for us. As it is, the MDR is one of the last spots on a cruise ship that still has that classic cruise ship "feel" anymore. 

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

You will definitely not be out of place on MSC.

It is those in tee shirts and shorts in the evening that stand out (usual assumption: American Carnival cruiser who doesn't know any better).

Denim shorts, from 1990 I assume. Always a good look.

We had 2 experiences last year both in the YC.  On the Meraviglia, people with shorts and a nice t-shirts at the dinner in the YC restaurant they were told to change.  On the Divina, shorts and nice T-shirts were allowed in the YC restaurant.  Depends on the YC restaurant manager, I guess. 

21 minutes ago, Paphillyguy said:

We had 2 experiences last year both in the YC.  On the Meraviglia, people with shorts and a nice t-shirts at the dinner in the YC restaurant they were told to change.  On the Divina, shorts and nice T-shirts were allowed in the YC restaurant.  Depends on the YC restaurant manager, I guess. 

I think this inconsistency among ships in the fleet, particularly among the Yacht Clubs, will be getting resolved sooner rather than later. It’s been noticed that it’s gotten out of hand. 

Dennis

• Like 1

I am on the Meraviglia right now. For Gala Nights, I saw people in shorts and people in tuxes in the MDR. Dress however makes you comfortable/happy.  I would say roughly 50% dressed up on gala nights, though that was still a broad spectrum of "dressy." What I was surprised by was how many wore white on white night. I would guess it was closer to 80%. I am going to definitely need to scrounge together an outfit to wear on white night for my sailing next week!

On 4/18/2023 at 11:47 AM, mcoler181 said:

Italians never wear shorts in other places than on a beach! I'm sure there are exceptions but they are very few!

On 4/18/2023 at 3:09 PM, kelleherdl said:

I think this inconsistency among ships in the fleet, particularly among the Yacht Clubs, will be getting resolved sooner rather than later. It’s been noticed that it’s gotten out of hand. 

Dennis

I always wear slacks and nice shirt in the evening. I personally would never wear a T-shirt in the evening in any dining room. I just feel more comfortable, but I understand some enjoy a nice pair of shorts.