SKY PRINCESS...is Vines being removed ??

gah_cruise

4 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

All of this raises the frightening prospect that the bean counters have figured out that the old cruise ship model of creating as many ways as possible to get people to buy drinks to drive up revenue is over, and if enough people pre-pay for alcohol through the purchase of a package, then it benefits the cruise line to develop ways to get people to order as few drinks as possible.  In the past, the interior architects would look at a blueprint and say: "Put a bar there."  Now, they will look at a blueprint and say: "Remove that bar."        

Another way to increase profits is to never deliver package drinks ordered via the app.

There have been numerous posts by people who ordered a drink and never had it delivered to them.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, caribill said:

That would reduce sales to people who do not have free photos from a package.

Walking past a photo gallery triggers a "let's look at our pictures" impulse reaction in people who then might order and pay for some photos.

But in a cabin, most passengers will not think of taking the time to look at photos on the cabin TV.

Result, less sales.

Have to disagree based on the youth movement.  For people under the age of 50, the realm of photography is exclusively digital.  I don't know anyone who still develops hardcopy photos and keeps them in a photo album.  As the older cruisers are sunsetted and replaced by younger ones, they will only want digital photos and not the copies printed out on the ship.  And they can review and order digital copies on their HDTVs in their cabin.  There is a reason why you see about 1/10th the number of Princess photographers on ships these days.  No one roaming the dining rooms.  No one standing at the disembarkation station next to a pirate.  People have simply stopped buying and keeping hardcopy photos.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Have to disagree based on the youth movement.  For people under the age of 50, the realm of photography is exclusively digital.  I don't know anyone who still develops hardcopy photos and keeps them in a photo album. 

My comments still apply. Looking at and ordering digital copies is more likely if someone walks past the screens in the photo center than deciding to spend time in the cabin looking at them on the in-cabin TV.

17 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

There is a reason why you see about 1/10th the number of Princess photographers on ships these days.  No one roaming the dining rooms.  No one standing at the disembarkation station next to a pirate.

I am not sure that is the reason there are less photographers.

The roaming of dining rooms, etc. was stopped as a Covid prevention practice.

I cannot speak as to why they have not resumed.

Similar to the placing of chocolates in the cabins each evening. Stopped so there would be less steward presence in cabins due to Covid. Not resumed (in this case, probably to save $$$ by not purchasing the chocolates).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I don't know anyone who still develops hardcopy photos and keeps them in a photo album.  

Neither do I know people who print and keep in an album....but I do know people that edit and print specific images / frame and hang....all depends on how good the image is ....and the quality/size of the provided image

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Looking at and ordering digital copies is more likely if someone walks past the screens in the photo center than deciding to spend time in the cabin looking at them on the in-cabin TV.

This "eye catch" theory, assuming that has validity, is just as easily accomplished with a much, much smaller footprint than what currently exists.  A single screen will do given the lack of traffic that I see.  Plus, a prominent sign that says: "Review your photos on your cabin TV!!" added to the small kiosk would do the trick.  And placing this kiosk in a more trafficked area would serve to boost visibility.  Decks 5 and 7 are traversed far more than Deck 6.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gah_cruise said:

Neither do I know people who print and keep in an album....but I do know people that edit and print specific images / frame and hang....all depends on how good the image is ....and the quality/size of the provided image

Agree.  But I'm not sure how that augers in favor of a large area on Deck 6 allocated to photos.  People interested in digital photos are just as likely to want to look at their photos on a personal device or TV.  Next time you are on a ship that has a digital photo center, glance at how "busy" it is.  And ask yourself if the ship needs more or less space allocated to this venture.  Sometimes the eye test is the best test. 

This "eye catch" theory, assuming that has validity, is just as easily accomplished with a much, much smaller footprint than what currently exists.  A single screen will do given the lack of traffic that I see. 

Agree. One or two screens is all that is needed.

Plus, a prominent sign that says: "Review your photos on your cabin TV!!" added to the small kiosk would do the trick.

That is where we will disagree.

Once in the cabin, much more important things (getting ready for dinner, going to sleep, etc.) will be much more on the mind that searching for photos on the TV.

And since I have not tried it, I have no idea how easy it is to do on the cabin TV. I do know that when I followed all the prompts  on the TV to see my onboard account, it said after about 10 button presses that it could not be accomplished using the TV, that I should use the app instead.

30 minutes ago, caribill said:

Once in the cabin, much more important things (getting ready for dinner, going to sleep, etc.) will be much more on the mind that searching for photos on the TV.

And since I have not tried it, I have no idea how easy it is to do on the cabin TV. I do know that when I followed all the prompts  on the TV to see my onboard account, it said after about 10 button presses that it could not be accomplished using the TV, that I should use the app instead.

The fact is that the photo area, on Sky at least,  is not in a major footfall area. You only walk through it if you are lost ! Just a total waste of space. Turn it into a Gin Bar,  or similar, and you would generate revenue 12 hours a day, rather than from the occasional visitor. 

However,  I assume that the photographic department is franchised out by Princess, so perhaps we are missing the bigger picture. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, caribill said:

My guess is that with the proliferation of smart phones, so many people just take their own photos.

As far as reviewing professional photos on the in-room tv, remember they're viewable on the Medallion app, and can likely be purchased there, too.

I wonder when the contract with the photo studio is up for renewal?   Likely the current contract commits a certain amount of space for the duration of the contract.

2 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

I wonder when the contract with the photo studio is up for renewal?   Likely the current contract commits a certain amount of space for the duration of the contract.

That, I think, is the million dollar question.

On 4/17/2023 at 1:32 PM, dides said:

That would be a strange move considering they just replaced Salty Dog Gastropub on Enchanted Princess with O'Malley's Irish Pub, as per the press release.

Oh really?  We were just on Enchanted over NYE and really longed for a Vines instead of the Salty Dog which we think was a waste of space.

On 4/19/2023 at 4:16 PM, tawlaw1526 said:

Have you eaten at the Salty Dog Gastropub?   If so, what meal was awful?   

Well first, there is a charge to eat there...to help cover the one "free beer" that's included.  When most of us have some kind of drink package why would this "free beer" be a draw?  While I don't think the food was awful it just wasn't anything special and not worth the $18ish(forgot exactly how much).

Edited by suzyed

4 hours ago, Kay S said:

Did we ever figure out if Vines is being removed?

No - but I have just had an email to say that my Bistro reservation will automatically be transferred to either the Crown Grill or Harmony. Go figure that one!

14 minutes ago, david63 said:

No - but I have just had an email to say that my Bistro reservation will automatically be transferred to either the Crown Grill or Harmony. Go figure that one!

Princess IT have really mucked you about, haven't they ?

Just looked at making speciality dining reservations for our July cruise on Sky, and the options are Rudis, Crown Grill or Sabatinis.  Goodness knows how Harmony came into the mix for you !

21 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Wasn’t there a rumour about Crooners being added? Having sailed on Sky Princess multiple times, seating in the Piazza area - all floors - for drinks in the evening is lacking. My hope is that they somehow commandeer part of the photo gallery to add more seating / Crooners. In my opinion, its location and size on Sky Princess is using up too much valuable real estate.

Crooners is not being added and Vines is staying where it is 

Edited by Alcairns

14 hours ago, Kay S said:

Did we ever figure out if Vines is being removed?

I don’t believe anybody that’s currently on board has reported yes or no. I believe April 15th there was a 4 night Belgium and the Netherlands sampler cruise that happened. Current position shows it’s in Rotterdam,Netherlands right now. So maybe somebody will post live from the Sky or see this and answer ?  Or is it in dry dock? I have no idea what the current cruise schedule is .

so May 7th cruise,maybe a Live from?

Edited by arizonaperson

33 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

I don’t believe anybody that’s currently on board has reported yes or no. I believe April 15th there was a 4 night Belgium and the Netherlands sampler cruise that happened. Current position shows it’s in Rotterdam,Netherlands right now. So maybe somebody will post live from the Sky or see this and answer ?  Or is it in dry dock? I have no idea what the current cruise schedule is .

so May 7th cruise,maybe a Live from?

Sky is currently out of the water in dry dock. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 6:49 PM, arizonaperson said:

Thanks,that’s why no one knows the real answer yet. So May 7th Sky roll call ,please check out Vines ( open,closed,moved,gone)for all the inquiring minds.

As I stated previously Vines is not being moved!!! I was on Sky last month and the food and beverages manager told me all the major internal changes. The major change is the closure of the Bistro and arrival of The Catch. There will be some work done on the layout of the Market Fresh buffet. We learned this at the suite guests reception with senior crew members. The reason for the drydock is to fit and air lubrication system in the hull - a big job. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, gah_cruise said:

with all due respect.........Cruisemapper is far from a random website.....do your homework.

Maybe they need to do theirs and not just read but fully comprehend a press release prior to publishing an article with incorrect information. 

• Like 3