Rydges..formerly Holiday Inn, The Rocks, Sydney.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Back in September pre Coral Princess cruise, I stayed at Sydney Harbour Marriott, a stones throw from OPT. Very good hotel. The Marriott price was the same as Rydges that night. Join Marriott loyalty club for best price. I got an excellent room  and late checkout. Breakfasted at City Extra opposite ferries.

1F71B76B-BB0A-43B6-8997-7EE79D66BF6F.thumb.jpeg.33b545abe4c474e32269560f668fb44d.jpeg

Great location l

2 hours ago, Bugalugsnz said:

I also stayed at Rydges when it was a Holiday Inn and am booked there again in December, pre cruise. The rooms are average but the best part is the rooftop pool with brilliant views of the bridge and opera house. 

Last time we stayed there, people were complaining about the cruise ship that was blocking their view of the opera house. 😂

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2023 at 8:20 AM, arxcards said:

The OP was asking about Feb 2024. At this stage, Rydges isn't taking bookings that far ahead. You won't need a new hotel for this October.

My experience over the years is that NO hotels will take bookings that far ahead ! - and certainly not airlines. 

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

My experience over the years is that NO hotels will take bookings that far ahead ! - and certainly not airlines. 

95% of Sydney's hotels can be booked for Feb 2024. Most hotels around the world are loaded into the various booking sites between 11 and 12 months ahead, and some can be booked even further in advance.

International flights - well yes, they start to become available 11 months out, but they too would now be available for Feb 2024 - Qantas flights can be booked through till the end of March, and April will be available next week when we hit May.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Airlines offer flights eleven months after return journey and hotels usually post their prices a year in advance. At least that has been our experience over many years of international travel.

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

95% of Sydney's hotels can be booked for Feb 2024. Most hotels around the world are loaded into the various booking sites between 11 and 12 months ahead, and some can be booked even further in advance.

International flights - well yes, they start to become available 11 months out, but they too would now be available for Feb 2024 - Qantas flights can be booked through till the end of March, and April will be available next week when we hit May.

We have already been able to book our flights….and hotel rooms with other companies other than Rydges…we have found out this is because Crystalbrook which has bought Rydges has not yet decided their plans for the hotel.

54 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

We have already been able to book our flights….and hotel rooms with other companies other than Rydges…we have found out this is because Crystalbrook which has bought Rydges has not yet decided their plans for the hotel.

Indeed

We were booked for 5 nights in the Rydges in March prior to our South Pacific Cruise. Arrived at 9pm after a long day travelling from Honolulu. When we arrived the bar was closed and the roof top bar no longer exists. Decided to drop our cases in the room and go out...started having doubts about the hotel when walking down the corridor due to filthy looking and worn carpeting...got to the room and turned around and walked out..tiny room...large crack in the ceiling...worn carpeting...old furniture...asked for another room...upgraded to a deluxe king suite...marginally better...so we checked out next morning and went to the Marriott at Circular Quay...same price but with Buffett breakfast included. The Rydges definitely needs to be renovated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

We were booked for 5 nights in the Rydges in March prior to our South Pacific Cruise. Arrived at 9pm after a long day travelling from Honolulu. When we arrived the bar was closed and the roof top bar no longer exists. Decided to drop our cases in the room and go out...started having doubts about the hotel when walking down the corridor due to filthy looking and worn carpeting...got to the room and turned around and walked out..tiny room...large crack in the ceiling...worn carpeting...old furniture...asked for another room...upgraded to a deluxe king suite...marginally better...so we checked out next morning and went to the Marriott at Circular Quay...same price but with Buffett breakfast included. The Rydges definitely needs to be renovated.

That is sad.  Reminds me of old ships, which aren't maintained, awaiting sale. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is sad.  Reminds me of old ships, which aren't maintained, awaiting sale. 

Several of the older Rydges hotels are in a bad state including the one at the Rocks and the one at North Sydney. Stayed in both.  The newer ones are ok like at Mt Panorama, Bathurst, one at Campbelltown and the one at Sydney Airport, the latter is a cracker.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2023 at 6:46 PM, ozdevil said:

Can i ask Why you changed your mind from the Amora Jamison?

It was definitely about 250 cheaper for 2 nights on a lower floor, no view. And AJ looks very nice. 5 star. Walked by it. I went with Four Seasons because after 15 hr flight, I thought we should SEE the harbor from our room, enjoy why we were there. ….and I was not disappointed. Corner room on Floor 10 with big picture window of opera house + early 9:30 checkin. And we were right there at the port. We loved the room & the bed was sooo big and comfortable. I paid nonrefunded about 3 weeks before & asked for very early checkin. They took care of us.  😌

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Just to update anyone who is interested in Rydges Hotel, The Rocks, Sydney. They are now offering rooms for Feb and March 2024,

We have booked two nights there before out cruise in Feb 2024. We didn't bother with harbour view as we will be seeing the ocean 16 nights once on the ship. 

We have stayed at the Shangri La before a cruise. It has spectacular views but it's a little too far to walk the cases down to the terminal. 

IMG_0984.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, benjoon said:

We have booked two nights there before out cruise in Feb 2024. We didn't bother with harbour view as we will be seeing the ocean 16 nights once on the ship. 

We have stayed at the Shangri La before a cruise. It has spectacular views but it's a little too far to walk the cases down to the terminal. 

IMG_0984.JPG

wow what fabulous 270 degree views of Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.  Looks like somewhere to just stay put and soak up the view. (176 Cumberland st the Rocks) Definitely too far to walk the cases down to the OPT.  

• Like 3

We have stayed at Shangri-La and found the walk up and down the steep hill to the hotel difficult to manage , with or without luggage. Horizon Club rooms are great. Separate check in area upstairs for Club guests  and an awesome lounge with views. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BuzzBuzzen said:

We have stayed at Shangri-La and found the walk up and down the steep hill to the hotel difficult to manage , with or without luggage. Horizon Club rooms are great. Separate check in area upstairs for Club guests  and an awesome lounge with views. 

A few years ago we booked the Shang for a couple of nights after a cruise. The day we disembarked it was wet and we waited in the rain in a long queue for a taxi, only to have 3 different drivers refuse to take us up the hill. They said ‘too short - walk’ so we struggled up the hill and steps with our luggage and arrived very wet and bedraggled at the rather posh reception.

We loved the Horizon Club but I think Four Seasons Lounge 32 is better.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

wow what fabulous 270 degree views of Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.  Looks like somewhere to just stay put and soak up the view.

That's one of the reasons we booked the hotel...only to find the roof top bar is permanently closed, no chairs and the roof top is not lit up at night. Very disappointed.

15 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

wow what fabulous 270 degree views of Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.  Looks like somewhere to just stay put and soak up the view. (176 Cumberland st the Rocks) Definitely too far to walk the cases down to the OPT.  

The same aspect of view is available at Quay West and Four Seasons. Quay West is still up the hill a bit, but only halfway, as you can enter via a basement lift from the street below. Quay West has a top floor pool & balcony to get the pics without a window reflection.

On 5/16/2023 at 1:39 PM, arxcards said:

The same aspect of view is available at Quay West and Four Seasons. Quay West is still up the hill a bit, but only halfway, as you can enter via a basement lift from the street below. Quay West has a top floor pool & balcony to get the pics without a window reflection.

I loved my view and location of the Four Seasons. Did not want to leave the room.😌

• Like 3

19 hours ago, davwen81 said:

We’ve actually changed our booking to the Four Seasons. For the same price we get a full harbour view room and the reviews are spectacular. The reviews for Rydges are just awful now. 

The same price?
Rydges Superior King Harbour View room is $422 while the Four Seasons Deluxe Full Harbour room is more than double at $893?

6 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

The same price?
Rydges Superior King Harbour View room is $422 while the Four Seasons Deluxe Full Harbour room is more than double at $893?

I have recently been shocked at the high cost of accommodation in Australia.