How does Odyssey differ from Oasis class ships?

The Quantum class have a royal esplanade (not as big and wide) which the Oasis has a Promenade that is more of a open deck.  It has a indoor pool and outdoor.  It doesn't have slides on the pool deck. No boardwalk or aqua theater. It has the North Star and bumper cars.  The lay out is a little different for other things on the ship like the rock wall is on the side and Oasis is on the back on the boardwalk. 

This video breaks down a little better

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DustFSU said:

The Quantum class have a royal esplanade (not as big and wide) which the Oasis has a Promenade that is more of a open deck.  It has a indoor pool and outdoor.  It doesn't have slides on the pool deck. No boardwalk or aqua theater. It has the North Star and bumper cars.  The lay out is a little different for other things on the ship like the rock wall is on the side and Oasis is on the back on the boardwalk. 

This video breaks down a little better

Is there enough to keep a teenager occupied?

5 minutes ago, goldenfarm said:

It should, but like Another_critic said we don't know what they are interested in.  Show them that video tour.  They also have a teen area on the ship and do activities and get to hang out with kids their age as well.  The basketball court is inside and the have the Ripcord which is a simulation skydive.  In the seaplex area they should have an area of xbox's that they can play as well.  It also has a flow rider.  Don't know if they have taken it down but they are suppose to take out the skypads off all the RCCL ships.

45 minutes ago, goldenfarm said:

There is more than enough to keep a teenager occupied on both class ships. Oasis class and Odyssey are quite different. To very briefly summarize I would say Odyssey is more a traditional cruise ship experience but with all the bells and whistles. Oasis class is an entirely different cruise experience...it has a Central Park area....a Boardwalk area with an Aquatheater...not quite your traditional cruise ship design.    Oasis class also has cabin options....not necessarily for the better or worse ...that most other class ships don't have so be careful choosing. Both have excellent entertainment but I would probably give Oasis class a bit of the edge there. Like suggested watch videos of both and see what seems like a better fit. 

I am not sure if you have ever sailed Celebrity...but essentially Odyssey is a Solstice class ship that was "Royal Caribbeanized".

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, DustFSU said:

It should, but like Another_critic said we don't know what they are interested in.  Show them that video tour.  They also have a teen area on the ship and do activities and get to hang out with kids their age as well.  The basketball court is inside and the have the Ripcord which is a simulation skydive.  In the seaplex area they should have an area of xbox's that they can play as well.  It also has a flow rider.  Don't know if they have taken it down but they are suppose to take out the skypads off all the RCCL ships.

The Xbox area was replaced by Playmakers on Odyssey.

Also, Odyssey has two outdoor pools (no indoor pool) + adults only solarium cascading pools.

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

The Xbox area was replaced by Playmakers on Odyssey.

Also, Odyssey has two outdoor pools (no indoor pool) + adults only solarium cascading pools.

Until I watched that video tour I realized that.  I have watched many of his tours, but not of that ship

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Yes.  And I've taken my teenager on cruises.

Mine has ADHD. And learning disabilities. There's no doing extracurricular research unless there's an argument first. 

Edited by goldenfarm
  • Haha 1

I think your teenager will be be more than happy on Odyssey.  It is a great ship with tonnes to do on it.  I highly recommend you get him signed up for a zone zero experience, there is a small cost but it is worth it.  It is a virtual reality space battle that is absolutely amazing.  It's got a great seaplex area with activities going all the time.  The iFly is sure to be a hit as well as the Flowrider.  Besides the waterslides, I can't think of one teenage thing that they will be missing and there are several things on Odyssey you don't get elsewhere.

• Like 4

@bajathree and @Tree_skierdescribed it very well.

There was plenty for teens to do when Voyager was RCIs largest ship. Q and O class are both fine for a teen. The Seaplex always has stuff going on.

I understand the concern with going from Harmony to Odyssey. The only way you are truly going to be able to put the angst behind you is to try it and find out for yourself. I speak from experience...and as an O class lover.

• Like 3

One could argue there is more for teens on Odyssey but it really depends on the person.

If the numerous videos that go into deep detail and cover everything can't answer your questions I'm not sure if anything I can offer would do any better.

• Like 2

We were on Odyssey in January. There is a rock climbing wall, Flow Rider surf simulator, Ripcord by iFly skydiving simulator, Skypad VR trampolines, North Star, pools and hot tubs, Seaplex with bumper cars, dodgeball, volleyball, basketball, laser tag, video games, ping pong, air hockey, Zone Zero VR experience (for a nominal charge) plus there’s a teen club that has video games and other teenage friendly activities. LOTS to do! 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Newcruiser2012 said:

We were on Odyssey in January. There is a rock climbing wall, Flow Rider surf simulator, Ripcord by iFly skydiving simulator, Skypad VR trampolines, North Star, pools and hot tubs, Seaplex with bumper cars, dodgeball, volleyball, basketball, laser tag, video games, ping pong, air hockey, Zone Zero VR experience (for a nominal charge) plus there’s a teen club that has video games and other teenage friendly activities. LOTS to do! 😎

Sounds perfect. I booked it. 

• Like 2

Odyssey is much smaller than an Oasis ship. My teenage daughter enjoyed the cruise but definitely enjoyed the Oasis class ships more. Odyssey was very nice and she enjoyed the cruise but liked having more space (that Oasis class provides). Either way your teenagers will have fun. It really depends what they enjoy doing which only they can decide. 

Just now, Nolefan95 said:

Odyssey is much smaller than an Oasis ship. My teenage daughter enjoyed the cruise but definitely enjoyed the Oasis class ships more. Odyssey was very nice and she enjoyed the cruise but liked having more space (that Oasis class provides). Either way your teenagers will have fun. It really depends what they enjoy doing which only they can decide. 

Well, EVERY cruise ship, across all cruise lines,  is smaller than the Oasis class ships.  🙂  The Odyssey is the largest Royal class right behind the Oasis class.  They are still huge.  My personal opinions is... if teens can't find enough to do on either ship then cruising isn't for them.

Both classes have plusses and minuses and I'd have a hard time picking a winner.  I actually might like the AMPED Freedom and Voyager classes better, and our teenage kids love them all.

• Like 3

Just now, The Fun Researcher said:

Well, EVERY cruise ship, across all cruise lines,  is smaller than the Oasis class ships.  🙂  The Odyssey is the largest Royal class right behind the Oasis class.  They are still huge.  My personal opinions is... if teens can't find enough to do on either ship then cruising isn't for them.

Both classes have plusses and minuses and I'd have a hard time picking a winner.  I actually might like the AMPED Freedom and Voyager classes better, and our teenage kids love them all.

Agreed but there is no debating the Odyssey feels MUCH smaller than Oasis class ships. The pools were also much more crowded on Odyssey and Oasis class typically provides additional variety with dining locations. Like I said, my daughter enjoyed the cruise but did mention she liked having more space that Oasis class provides. If she had the choice, she would pick Oasis Class. That being said, we are going on Odyssey again in June as we all enjoyed the ship and want to go on a Greek Islands cruise. We picked Odyssey as we prefer newer ships. But if Oasis class had the same itinerary we would have picked an Oasis ship. Its really individual choice. Can't go wrong imo. 

• Like 1

I've been on Odyssey twice now, including this past January.  We prefer Oasis class ships but I think the Odyssey is the "prettiest" Royal ship (in my opinion).  The halls in the promenade are more narrow and there are generally more congestion points.  

Some of the fun teenage thing to do cost $$ - such as any extended time on the ripcord or other things.  Bumper cars are free!

The biggest thing that always takes me by surprise is that there is no Studio B/ice skating rink or show.  But I do think there are plenty of things to do for a teen, just like most of the cruise ships!