NFL Primetime Game Viewing - large group

BrotherCraig

3 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

First off, the whole reason we are doing a cruise because we all think it will be a great time to cruise and watch the game together.  Is it important?  No.  Fun?  Yes.  

Second, doesn't cost the cruise line a dime to show a NBC Sunday Night game on TVs or big screen.  Not one dime.

If that's the case I would wait for the NFL schedule to come out and try to find a week when the Cowboys or Texans are on in primetime. The Cowboys always get a lot of them. Or if you go out of New Orleans a week the Saints are on in primetime.

1 minute ago, BrotherCraig said:

Second, doesn't cost the cruise line a dime to show a NBC Sunday Night game on TVs or big screen.  Not one dime.

It absolutely does cost a cruise line. Cruise ships aren't sailing around with huge TV antennas.

When I cruised in December of 2021 on the Dream out of Galveston they showed the NFL games on Sunday, Sunday night and Thursday night.   They also showed the Sunday afternoon game on Lido.  I didn't sail last NFL season so I am not sure about Thursday night games on Amazon.  

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

If that's the case I would wait for the NFL schedule to come out and try to find a week when the Cowboys or Texans are on in primetime. The Cowboys always get a lot of them. Or if you go out of New Orleans a week the Saints are on in primetime.

That is what we are doing.  We are waiting to see what the schedule looks like and picking a weekend where the team plays on a Sunday night.  

Not Cowboys or Texans.

8 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Sunday night football will be on TVs. But as far as putting it on a big screen they have to weigh and decide how many people on the ship want to watch football on the lido deck vs. how many would like to watch a movie. Or how many would like to watch a football game in the theater vs. how many would like to watch a production show. That's why I think they only do it for in market games.

I would like to see bigger sports bars, but I understand why they don't have them. It's only big during football season. Even when they had TNT I never saw people flocking to the TVs for basketball. Or baseball. When I was on Panorama during the World Series the Hero's bar was dead. It was packed when the Dodgers were in the NLCS but as soon as they got knocked out, nobody cared.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

When I cruised in December of 2021 on the Dream out of Galveston they showed the NFL games on Sunday, Sunday night and Thursday night.   They also showed the Sunday afternoon game on Lido.  I didn't sail last NFL season so I am not sure about Thursday night games on Amazon.  

Thanks.  We are only interested in Sunday night.  

2 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

That is what we are doing.  We are waiting to see what the schedule looks like and picking a weekend where the team plays on a Sunday night.  

Not Cowboys or Texans.

Your best bet would probably be Vista. At least they have a sports bar. It's not the biggest sports bar. You want to get in the for pregame probably. But that would be your best shot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Sunday night football will be on TVs. But as far as putting it on a big screen they have to weigh and decide how many people on the ship want to watch football on the lido deck vs. how many would like to watch a movie. Or how many would like to watch a football game in the theater vs. how many would like to watch a production show. That's why I think they only do it for in market games.

I would like to see bigger sports bars, but I understand why they don't have them. It's only big during football season. Even when they had TNT I never saw people flocking to the TVs for basketball. Or baseball. When I was on Panorama during the World Series the Hero's bar was dead. It was packed when the Dodgers were in the NLCS but as soon as they got knocked out, nobody cared.

Totally understand that.  Thanks for your feedback and info.

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Your best bet would probably be Vista. At least they have a sports bar. It's not the biggest sports bar. You want to get in the for pregame probably. But that would be your best shot.

Thanks.  Red Frog Pub on the Breeze is a good size and they have the TV area at the entrance as well.  Watched college games there and inside.  

1 minute ago, BrotherCraig said:

So they never show the Sunday night games.  Good info.  Case closed then.  Thank you.

I don't know if they do or not. I just know they don't carry NBC.

Since the ships are foreign they have access to weird sports packages.  For example on the RC Allure of the Seas this January they showed the Jaguars v Chargers playoff game in the Aqua theater screen and on the ESPN channel in the staterooms, even though it was a NBC broadcast.  

If it helps, the Carnival Dream showed regular season game Cowboys v Redskins (Sunday Night Football) on December 26th 2021 on the lido screen when I was onboard --- assumed it was only because we were sailing out of Texas.

Edited by lancerTXST
date
  • Like 1

We were on the Vista last year around this time and the Skybox Sports Bar had ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and the SEC Network. We wanted to watch playoff basketball on TNT and playoff hockey at the time on ABC. We were told that Carnival only paid for those 4 ESPN owned channels and that was all they could show. 

Now with saying that. I have seen Carnival do special broadcasts of NFL games. The ones I remember from last year where on a Thanksgiving cruise on the Breeze and they had two of the Thanksgiving games on the big screen on the LIDO deck. They had signs up letting people know the start times of the games. Cowboys game was shown.

We were off the boat before the Sunday games, so I have no idea if those were shown. 

So Carnival could theoretically show games but if they choose to do so on a certain cruise is up to them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

What is the status of NFL football games on Excel class ships?

I booked us during playoffs. I might be in trouble 😉 

With those class of ships, not a problem. Pig N Anchor.... numerous TVs and they have Sunday ticket.  

1 hour ago, BrotherCraig said:

So they never show the Sunday night games.  Good info.  Case closed then.  Thank you.

I never said that. They have to pay for it. They have to pay more if they want to show it in the staterooms.

The only way to get TV at sea is via satellite and cruise lines subscribe to various packages. They can add available channels - all it takes is money. That generally means Miami has to approve a ship carrying an event outside of standard programming.

2 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

With those class of ships, not a problem. Pig N Anchor.... numerous TVs and they have Sunday ticket.  

only real issue is I had a 3:30 game (4:30 Miami time) that was on one of the regular TVs at a table. They said they couldn’t change the bar or hero’s lounge TVs. And at 5:15 they wanted me out for dinner service. I didn’t leave but I won’t be going back on one of those ships on game day unless my game will be over before dinner or it’s in prime time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

They have an NFL package. They get all of the games.

Monday, Thursday, & Sunday night games are not part of the Sunday NFL Ticket....and never have been since those are national games.