2 Americans on the Iona, Norwegian Fjords, April 29th

Grumpella

I would echo @mrsgoggins suggestion to try Epicurean if you want better food and can get a booking. Epicurean is not in my opinion quite as good as Murano on Celebrity which is kind of the equivalent but it is still very good and far superior to the MDR.

We did not particularly rate the food the the main dining room on Iona at all and so after a few days booked every evening and most lunches in the different pay for speciality restaurants. The food quality and service in these areas were much better but obviously at a cost.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Do they ? We have always had to travel in August and never seen this happen. Am wondering if they saw us coming and ignored us !

To be fair to P&O there is a massive price difference between the 2 lines so it is unfair to compare surely?

Yes, I’ve seen the trolley coming round with tea and coffee in mornings in the buffet on Celebrity, but I couldn’t swear to it that it was on sailings out of Southampton. I do remember one highly entertaining Jamaican trolley guy who used to brighten everyone’s morning with his banter.

While I don’t disagree that there often a large price difference between Celebrity and P&O, once you factor in that you need a deluxe cabin to compare like with like (ie with sofa), that difference shrinks a little.

I keep a spreadsheet with costs of every cruise I have taken since 2015 (my first). This year, my first Celebrity cruise out of Fort Lauderdale cost £17 per person per night more than my recent Iona cruise.  On the Celebrity we had internet, drinks package, gratuities and $150 OBC included.
On P&O I had gratuities, parking and £150 of onboard credit included.  I purchased the internet package at £12 per night, taking the difference down to £5 a night!  Both cruises were purchased when they first went on sale.  

I do generally think that P&O provide good value however, and recognise the price difference is often large. Bargains are definitely to be had with inside cabins for example, as ‘from £495’ prices show.

It is interesting to hear of others’ experiences, even if they don’t gel with your own, and even more so when the passengers are from overseas.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

It's worth noting that P&O is a meant to  be a 4* line and Celebrity is 5* and there is clearly a differience

Paul Ludlow has categorically confirmed that more than 99% of P&O customers rate it as a 4* cruise line.  

• Haha 6

We just walked around Stavanger for a few hours today and did some shopping. Most things were closed because of the holiday. My husband likes to decide things last minute. Lol  It was cold and raining the whole time. 

We ate dinner at the Keel and Cow. Very good steaks. They said everything is cooked to order and takes 45 minutes. Exactly 45 minutes for our meal to arrive. Limited menu for starters and waiter never checked on us during our meal, only 1/2 hour later to see if we wanted dessert. 

The other restaurants that can be booked are fully booked. 

The remote control for the tv was not working, had to have “fixed” twice. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Yes, I’ve seen the trolley coming round with tea and coffee in mornings in the buffet on Celebrity, but I couldn’t swear to it that it was on sailings out of Southampton. I do remember one highly entertaining Jamaican trolley guy who used to brighten everyone’s morning with his banter.

While I don’t disagree that there often a large price difference between Celebrity and P&O, once you factor in that you need a deluxe cabin to compare like with like (ie with sofa), that difference shrinks a little.

I keep a spreadsheet with costs of every cruise I have taken since 2015 (my first). This year, my first Celebrity cruise out of Fort Lauderdale cost £17 per person per night more than my recent Iona cruise.  On the Celebrity we had internet, drinks package, gratuities and $150 OBC included.
On P&O I had gratuities, parking and £150 of onboard credit included.  I purchased the internet package at £12 per night, taking the difference down to £5 a night!  Both cruises were purchased when they first went on sale.  

I do generally think that P&O provide good value however, and recognise the price difference is often large. Bargains are definitely to be had with inside cabins for example, as ‘from £495’ prices show.

It is interesting to hear of others’ experiences, even if they don’t gel with your own, and even more so when the passengers are from overseas.

Have been pricing cruises up this afternoon. Have just priced up a cruise we really really fancy on the Silhouette for 2024 and it is coming out at £6,500 for a sunset veranda cabin without flights. We have done Silly 3 times and would love to do this cruise, but with flights and a stay the night before it is getting expensive ! 

Still love Celebrity, but perhaps when we retire we can look out for special deals !!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Paul Ludlow has categorically confirmed that more than 99% of P&O customers rate it as a 4* cruise line.  

I'd agree with that, but to be honest Celebrity isn't perfect either and in the old days we preferred some P&O things to Celebrity.  Don't laugh, but we once discussed if Celebrity Silhouette was doing the same cruise as Oceana what would we do. We love(d) both ships and had a soft spot for both. It was a closer call than some people would imagine. (NO comments re baked bean cans before you all start!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I'd agree with that, but to be honest Celebrity isn't perfect either and in the old days we preferred some P&O things to Celebrity.  Don't laugh, but we once discussed if Celebrity Silhouette was doing the same cruise as Oceana what would we do. We love(d) both ships and had a soft spot for both. It was a closer call than some people would imagine. (NO comments re baked bean cans before you all start!)

I could also give you things I prefer on P&O too 😉

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

We just walked around Stavanger for a few hours today and did some shopping. Most things were closed because of the holiday. My husband likes to decide things last minute. Lol  It was cold and raining the whole time. 

We ate dinner at the Keel and Cow. Very good steaks. They said everything is cooked to order and takes 45 minutes. Exactly 45 minutes for our meal to arrive. Limited menu for starters and waiter never checked on us during our meal, only 1/2 hour later to see if we wanted dessert. 

The remote control for the tv was not working, had to have “fixed” twice. 

Shame the service was not more attentive in the Keel and Cow but I’m glad you enjoyed the steak. We discovered Stokes vodka tomato ketchup there which I have now sourced at home.

Also a shame that everything else is fully booked but not surprising given the MDR food IMO.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I suspect that most of our recollections of Celebritys superior  service were pre covid, certainly our last one was 2016 when coffee and juice trolleys were evident in the buffet, and the quality of the MDR meals was far superior to P&O at the time, and danish pastry trays were evident in the MDR at breakfast.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Do they ? We have always had to travel in August and never seen this happen. Am wondering if they saw us coming and ignored us !

To be fair to P&O there is a massive price difference between the 2 lines so it is unfair to compare surely?

On Silhouette to the Fjords last year hot drinks and pastries were served to the table In the buffet during breakfast. We paid £1300pp for a balcony Including drinks,tips and WiFi,  so not a massive price difference.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

On Silhouette to the Fjords last year hot drinks and pastries were served to the table In the buffet during breakfast. We paid £1300pp for a balcony Including drinks,tips and WiFi,  so not a massive price difference.

All I can say is what we have paid for Med cruises in a sunset veranda cabin. We have to do school holidays which makes a massive difference. If it is a flybcruise it is a major difference in terms of flight costs and pre cruise stays as most cruises are only 11 or 12 nights not 14. As for drinks and pastries .. I am still bemused as I have never seen that! Perhaps they avoid in August.. dunno

Can only agree with our US friends. Breakfast is a big thing on Celebrity, RC and Princess.  Sadly P&O are a long way off competing in my experience although the eggs can be very good!

Edited by Megabear2

14 hours ago, Grumpella said:

Last night was Celebration night. I was very surprised that there were several men without jackets or ties in the MDR. No options like prime rib, beef wellington or shrimp cocktail that we are used to on formal nights.

My husband wanted to see the Sky’s the Limit show last night, which I had booked in case we wanted to do 1 show. It was ok. 

The captain announced last night that we would be leaving Stavanger today at 3 pm instead 5 pm, as bad weather was forecast and he wanted to get ahead of it. I credit him with making the announcement the day before, as to give people a chance to change their plans. He stated that all excursions in the late afternoon will be cancelled.

We just arrived in Stavanger. Cold and raining.

Please don't base your view on P&O production shows on Skys the Limit alone - I've seen a lot and this show was the worst by a big margin.  Just very odd. Judging by other threads on CC, lots of other people agree.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Iona's dress code is dumbed down, but still better than Princess. It's worth noting that P&O is a meant to  be a 4* line and Celebrity is 5* and there is clearly a differience

I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise

I'm a little surprised by the reported lack of suits, as I recall my two Iona cruises all the formal nights were very well attended and most people stuck to the dress code - the younger people seemed to be particularly glamorous.      

2 hours ago, Grumpella said:

Have you tried the Olive Grove? It's very nice but not as fancy as the for-fee places so there might be spaces, or cancellations.   

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I suspect that most of our recollections of Celebritys superior  service were pre covid, certainly our last one was 2016 when coffee and juice trolleys were evident in the buffet, and the quality of the MDR meals was far superior to P&O at the time, and danish pastry trays were evident in the MDR at breakfast.

Princess do the pastry / muffin tray for MDR breakfast too, one thing I really liked about them, because you can choose what you actually want instead of taking pot luck with an order. This is post covid so I'm hoping its still a thing for next week.  😁 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Can only agree with our US friends. Breakfast is a big thing on Celebrity, RC and Princess.  Sadly P&O are a long way off competing in my experience although the eggs can be very good!

On Silhouette we ate in the MDR every night. It wasn't that the meals were much superior to P&O, ok a bit better. It was just that the specialities were so expensive.

52 minutes ago, Sea Green said:

Princess do the pastry / muffin tray for MDR breakfast too, one thing I really liked about them, because you can choose what you actually want instead of taking pot luck with an order. This is post covid so I'm hoping its still a thing for next week.  😁 

We only made it to one breakfast in the MDR on Sky Princess last month, and there was a server circulating with pastries,  croissants etc. Nice touch.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Same here. The breakfast omelette station in the Quays on Iona is very good, about the only thing I liked about the ship. 

I'm hoping they will have returned to cooking fresh omelettes in the buffet on Aurora this summer. Last summer they were tiny, pre-cooked things left sitting on a warmer...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I'm hoping they will have returned to cooking fresh omelettes in the buffet on Aurora this summer. Last summer they were tiny, pre-cooked things left sitting on a warmer...

Ugh! There are few things better than a properly, freshly cooked omelette. I have never managed to find one better than my wife’s though.  

[Other wives and partners are available of course…….]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a tip for booking Epicurean if it states fully booked on the "app". Try making the booking for a party of three. Even if there is availability for two you can often get more choice in dining times if you increase your party size. This works in all the speciality restaurants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1