Platinum Disappointment

HOUSTONVIP

19 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

How does one cheat to win a ship on a stick?

I think the reference was to trivia and how people cheat (look up answers) to get the answers to win.  

Generally it's just as simple as saying you answered the most correct. Nobody actually checks behind the winners.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

How does one cheat to win a ship on a stick?

Asking for a friend...

Anything we have ever participated in where a ship on a stick was awarded wasn't exactly something you could cheat at...like the bean bag toss. Only ship on a stick I have ever won was for knowing the name of the monk who invented champagne.

The obvious answer is to cruise on a B2B and hope that the questions are the same the second week.  Or use Google.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Many years ago, we became platinum but haven't cruised Carnival for several years (been cruising other lines). Best gifts were packing cubes (that I still use) and a Nike baseball hat with "Carnival" on it (which I still wear to the farm). That said, does anyone know what the current gifts are? We'll be on the Dream for a Thanksgiving family cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 6:07 PM, buzz031 said:

Many years ago, we became platinum but haven't cruised Carnival for several years (been cruising other lines). Best gifts were packing cubes (that I still use) and a Nike baseball hat with "Carnival" on it (which I still wear to the farm). That said, does anyone know what the current gifts are? We'll be on the Dream for a Thanksgiving family cruise.

JH just put up that it is changing to a small kit bag - no picture yet. 

carol

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 8:06 PM, wemjam said:

I think what is being said is the change has been out for about 2 years now, started with Covid situation after start up again.

So, it is like everything else, we have to do our own diligence to try to understand things.  Carnival can not possibly "instruct" everyone on every single thing related to their cruise.

I am curious if you knew about these perks, why would you not have asked at customer service?  That is how we actually found out ourselves on our first cruise back after Covid.  We knew these things had been there  so we asked.

One thing I didn't mention above is the free drink too... used to get little coupons.  Now they don't you have to ask for it as well.

BEST solution for anyone is research, research, research.  And if you are already somewhat informed and aware of something but doesn't seem to be the way you think... ask someone.

I have cruised 50 times and I just learned something new today I didn't know about the Diamond "brunch" 😆

That's not good customer service, especially for the most loyal members of a company in the travel industry. When I arrive at a hotel (and even prior to arrival usually via email), I am thanked for being an "elite status" member, and told about my perks. "What type of **free snack** would you like Ms. One?" "As an elite member, you have access to the priority lounge where there is an evening reception, blah blah blah." "As an elite member, you can use the top tier internet at no charge by using this login." And even if they don't say all of that, they'll usually mention one perk as they thank me for being an elite member, then provide me with written info about the rest.

Now, as someone with tenure in the travel industry, I do know that most large hotel chains make the majority of their revenue from the highest tiered members, while cruise lines over the past 10-15 years fare well with newcomers that are fueling growth.

All that said, a proper welcome with an extra sentence at check-in is not something "Carnival can not possibly" do.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 12:46 PM, shof515 said:

I kind of feel the OP pain a bit  on the platinum items not being in the room right away. If other cruise lines is still putting platinum items in the room, why cant carnival do the same thing?

Exactly  - I missed my bottle of water cuz I didn't know I had to go get it - I thought it would be in my cabin.

Then spent considerable time b*****ng about how cheap Carnival was that I couldn't even get a lousy overpriced $3.50 bottle of water.

Apologies, Carnival, my bad.

59 minutes ago, MsOne said:

Now, as someone with tenure in the travel industry, I do know that most large hotel chains make the majority of their revenue from the highest tiered members, while cruise lines over the past 10-15 years fare well with newcomers that are fueling growth.

How many cruisers are traveling on business, the bread and butter of hotel and airline business? People traveling last minute and money isn't a primary consideration?

In the cruise industry, it is typically the newcomer spending more.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Exactly  - I missed my bottle of water cuz I didn't know I had to go get it - I thought it would be in my cabin.

Then spent considerable time b*****ng about how cheap Carnival was that I couldn't even get a lousy overpriced $3.50 bottle of water.

You could have just taken one of the bottles in the cabin and it would be a wash.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You could have just taken one of the bottles in the cabin and it would be a wash.

He could have, if that had been made clear.   Originally that wasn't an option.   And even as recently as February of this year our friends' room steward told them that they would have to pick it up at a bar, while our steward on the same cruise told us that we could just take the ones that were in the room.   Nothing is ever consistent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

like other people had in this thread, i had issues with the room steward charging the bottle as a mini bar purchase to my onboard account and then i had to go guest service to get the charge removed and be credited correctly for the free water.

to avoid all of this hassle it is a lot easier to go the bar and pick it up

Edited by shof515
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

How many cruisers are traveling on business, the bread and butter of hotel and airline business? People traveling last minute and money isn't a primary consideration?

In the cruise industry, it is typically the newcomer spending more.

And I already know I am Platinum. I don't need crew to continually mention it. 

I think this is completely understandable.  It is a big change from pre-covid and I don’t think anyone would think there was a new procedure for the gifts, etc.  if you don’t spend a fair amount of time on CC you would probably not know and I do not think CCL went out of their way to advertise this.  And considering all the cutbacks post covid, it’s quite understandable to assume these were additional cutbacks,

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

So you bitched about not getting a free bottle of water?  Wow

12 hours ago, MsOne said:

All that said, a proper welcome with an extra sentence at check-in is not something "Carnival can not possibly" do.

It would be too cumbersome and confusing for the guest services rep to rattle off all of the amenities that a particular cruiser is entitled to based upon whether they were red, gold, platinum or diamond.

Instead of having a QR code in the cabin, there should be a printed letter prominently displayed so that the cruiser knows what amenities they're entitled to and how they should be obtained.  This way there is no confusion as to what the cruiser should receive and where these benefits can be received or how they can be received.  Not all cruisers have smart phones, so those that do not have them are left in the dark regarding benefits that they could receive.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shof515 said:

like other people had in this thread, i had issues with the room steward charging the bottle as a mini bar purchase to my onboard account and then i had to go guest service to get the charge removed and be credited correctly for the free water.

to avoid all of this hassle it is a lot easier to go the bar and pick it up

It should be automatically credited back. Some people with Cheers or similar sometimes have issues. Or if the cabin steward needs training.

A phone call could also resolve the issue. Or letting the cabin steward know what you did.

For the record - it is stated in the benefits

Complimentary 1.5 liter bottle of water
Redeemable at any bar, restaurant or stateroom

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

It would be too cumbersome and confusing for the guest services rep to rattle off all of the amenities that a particular cruiser is entitled to based upon whether they were red, gold, platinum or diamond.

Instead of having a QR code in the cabin, there should be a printed letter prominently displayed so that the cruiser knows what amenities they're entitled to and how they should be obtained.  This way there is no confusion as to what the cruiser should receive and where these benefits can be received or how they can be received.  Not all cruisers have smart phones, so those that do not have them are left in the dark regarding benefits that they could receive.

Printing a letter is a waste of paper and resources which is one of the reasons for going paperless.

One could simply ask the steward or call guest services if they don't have a smart phone. The use of QR codes is becoming universal, worldwide. The times are changing and everyone needs to change with them or lose out. This is not a Carnival issue.