Best driving route to Brooklyn cruise port from North

smile145

13 minutes ago, smile145 said:

Which route is better for driving from the North to Brooklyn cruise port, coming in through Brooklyn or through Manhattan. 

See google map route options below.

Thanks

SCapture.thumb.PNG.f2434a608c586b52d270be975dad4fca.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.75a9896831ac8d2d3b78d9ed7ed17c42.PNG

They're about the same distance. It could be either and it depends on traffic when you're driving. You need to check Google Maps or Waze when you're about to start the trip to see what's best at that time.

• Like 1

I would go thru Queens to Brooklyn rather than across the Bronx, down Manhattan and thru the tunnel to Brooklyn. 

Once you get to Queens there are plenty of alternatives, if there would be a major traffic jam. You’d have to use Waze but you’d get there. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Waze and/or Google Maps with real time GPS assisted navigation is your best "live" guide as you leave - as a general rule, coming from points North & East, go thru Queens to Brooklyn via the highways would be my choice, unless there are known reasons ahead to avoid & use Manhattan - you will be avoiding two (2) East River crossings - once when coming from Upper Manhattan/Westchester/CT, etc. and a second time reversing or out of Manhattan into Brooklyn, whether it's via the bridge or Brooklyn Battery Tunnel ... not to mention - congestion pricing $$$ is coming sooner or later to NYC, especially if and when you will be going to the midtown Manhattan core corridors.  

If traffic thru Queens, whether it's the BQE or I-278 or via LIE (I-495) is really bad & near/at gridlock conditions, there are bypasses cutting thru on local streets - via the infamous "Kent Avenue" route that run thru Williamsburg neighborhood along the waterfront from LIC, connecting to Flushing Avenue that pass thru Brooklyn Navy Yard, along by the waterfront - and will take you very close to the Red Hook pier in Brooklyn ... this isn't going to be a faster or shorter route, might take you 45 to 60+ minutes to get thru, but it surely is better than sitting in gridlocked traffic on elevated "highways" going nowhere if there's a major road closure, construction or motor vehicle incidents shutting down the entire route.  

Approaching the Manhattan & Brooklyn Bridge on I-278 or BQE, you will almost surely run into traffic and slowdown as 3 lanes of traffic will be reduced to 2 lanes only of thru traffic, all the way to the Red hook section & exit for the pier/cruise terminal (this is a multi-year, long term reconstruction & "upgrade" that will not be done in a while)  But, on weekend mornings, traffic usually still flow, just watch for drivers cutting in last minute or driving on the "zebra" strips.  Otherwise, from the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge, passing LGA Airport and then continuing south toward Brooklyn - it should take as little as 20 minutes to reach your cruise port.