Thoughts on taking entire pizzas from the buffet

Last week on the Prima, a group cut the buffet line to say that they had "pre ordered" several pizzas during lunch. It seemed like their order wasn't ready when they wanted it to be, so they just took whole pizzas that were ready. 

My question is - is it common knowledge that you can pre order buffet pizzas, and is it socially acceptable to take a whole pizza when others behind you are in line for pizza? I had never before heard of ordering buffet food. 

They told me, by way of apology (?) that they needed enough lunch pizza for their group of 21. 

If you want an entire pizza to take to your balcony (on Breakaway) at lunch, is there an "acceptable" way to do so?  That cutting the line thing would be annoying.  If one group can do it then several could and then the line would never move.

Edited by happy cruzer

they made up a story to justify line cutting and getting what they need quickly. there is no such thing as preorder

there is one cruise line that i know of that you can order a entire pizza  that  is delivery only and you have to pay a fee

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

The only action I see wrong is that they cut the line. If they want an entire pizza, then go ahead. There'll be more coming. And, even better, it'll be freshly made just for you! 

So, you're politely waiting your turn at the buffet to put a few chicken wings on your plate and a dude cuts in front of you and takes the whole tray so he and his buddies can continue the pool-side party... no problem, more wings will eventually show up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Last week on the Prima, a group cut the buffet line to say that they had "pre ordered" several pizzas during lunch. It seemed like their order wasn't ready when they wanted it to be, so they just took whole pizzas that were ready. 

My question is - is it common knowledge that you can pre order buffet pizzas, and is it socially acceptable to take a whole pizza when others behind you are in line for pizza? I had never before heard of ordering buffet food. 

They told me, by way of apology (?) that they needed enough lunch pizza for their group of 21. 

That is incredibly rude and entitled and takes a hell of a nerve! 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

So, you're politely waiting your turn at the buffet to put a few chicken wings on your plate and a dude cuts in front of you and takes the whole tray so he and his buddies can continue the pool-side party... no problem, more wings will eventually show up.

Please re-read my first sentence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Please re-read my first sentence.

OK... I believe you expressed the opinion that the only action you saw that was wrong was cutting the line.  If that's the case, then I don't agree with you.

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

OK... I believe you expressed the opinion that the only action you saw that was wrong was cutting the line.  If that's the case, then I don't agree with you.

That is correct. You're free to disagree. I just didn't want the disagreement to be over cutting the line which I believe is wrong. 

As far as I'm concerned nobody cut a line, if you paced an order at a set time you go straight to the front to collect just as you don't wait in line for a table if you have a reservation. The order was coming out separate from the food all the people were waiting for.

The fact the chef did not have the order ready and had to substitute pre made pizza is also not the customers problem, it's the chefs error.

26 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

As far as I'm concerned nobody cut a line, if you paced an order at a set time you go straight to the front to collect just as you don't wait in line for a table if you have a reservation. The order was coming out separate from the food all the people were waiting for.

The fact the chef did not have the order ready and had to substitute pre made pizza is also not the customers problem, it's the chefs error.

I know we are supposed to be all nice & civil, but this is literally the dumbest thing I have read on here today.  Thanks for the chuckle.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

We have a ton of pizzerias here, the one that doesn’t deliver always has a huge line, if you place an order by phone you still have to wait in the same line as folks who walked up to buy a slice. If the pie you ordered is still in the oven you can’t just buy a slice pie sitting out. Well I guess you cancel the pie you ordered and ask for a slice pie, but you can’t cut the line.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

We have a ton of pizzerias here, the one that doesn’t deliver always has a huge line, if you place an order by phone you still have to wait in the same line as folks who walked up to buy a slice. If the pie you ordered is still in the oven you can’t just buy a slice pie sitting out. Well I guess you cancel the pie you ordered and ask for a slice pie, but you can’t cut the line.

But that is not a buffet that is self service where those people in line are happily helping themselves to food. going to the front and talking to a chef does not stop anyone helping themselves to food from the buffet.

31 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

But that is not a buffet that is self service where those people in line are happily helping themselves to food. going to the front and talking to a chef does not stop anyone helping themselves to food from the buffet.

And the pizza placed on the buffet is for folks who are waiting their turn to grab a slice, the person who pre-ordered should have waiting for their pizzas to be ready. Everyone is eating the free pizza.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

And the pizza placed on the buffet is for folks who are waiting their turn to grab a slice, the person who pre-ordered should have waiting for their pizzas to be ready. Everyone is eating the free pizza.

Thank you for helping me distil this in my mind. I think this is the crux of my issue. IF this group had pre ordered pizza (through some method not known to most of us), they should have waited until their order was ready. They should not have cut in and taken all the pizza that was out, by saying "Guess our order isn't ready yet, so we will just take all that is here."

That's truly the issue. They should have waited, they should have not pre emptively depleted. 

• Like 14

5 hours ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

I would've followed them to their table, sneezed on the pizzas and then said "oh sorry, my bad, it's the Covid." 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

Thank you for helping me distil this in my mind. I think this is the crux of my issue. IF this group had pre ordered pizza (through some method not known to most of us), they should have waited until their order was ready. They should not have cut in and taken all the pizza that was out, by saying "Guess our order isn't ready yet, so we will just take all that is here."

That's truly the issue. They should have waited, they should have not pre emptively depleted. 

Agree......if in fact they were able to preorder pizza and it was not ready, they should not have felt so entitled to cut the line and grab what was available at that time.   I do not believe they were able to preorder pizza.   If that is a thing, I believe a lot of passengers would be doing it.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lgdesign said:

That is incredibly rude and entitled and takes a hell of a nerve! 

I went on my first cruise last summer with my best friend. She, along with a group of folks, were waiting on a fresh batch of cookies. The minute the cruise employee placed the cookies for everyone, a woman cut ahead of them and started piling the cookies on a plate. She took most of the cookies leaving only a few. Had no shame at all. 

Edited by Stitch97

9 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I interrupt the line-jumping discussion for the following:

I may be in the minority, but in my humble opinion, NCL pizza is hardly worth ordering ahead...or waiting in line for.

Now back to the line-jumping argument...

The Prima has focaccia & fresh mozzarella pizza at lunch only that really blew my mind - I haven't seen it on any other ship, and this is the pizza to which I'm referring. 

1 minute ago, OrangeCatRamblers said:

The Prima has focaccia & fresh mozzarella pizza at lunch only that really blew my mind - I haven't seen it on any other ship, and this is the pizza to which I'm referring. 

We had those pizzas on the Prima. Didn't come close to mind-blowing...unless we caught them on a bad day. Like they say on CC...YMMV.