Lido Market Buffet vs MDR

dalesyang

Just now, barb-ottawa said:

The one with the grill is the main station, the one with the stir fry is maybe Distant Lands?

Thanks.  I've for sure seen the distant lands except they never used to make it individually.  You had a daily selection and that was it.  Its been a few years though, because I get my fill at the tamarind.  I've just never noticed any fresh grilled items.  I'd be tempted to do that after my long shore ex but no other time. 

4 hours ago, Roz said:

One issue I experienced, and other solos commented on, was finding a seat in the Lido.  HAL needs to do something about people parking themselves for long periods of time and just chit chatting, playing card games and board games, etc.  The tables don't turn over and some groups traveling together just occupied the same table and different people would come and go all day long.  Another issue is a couple sitting at a 6-top and then giving you the stink eye when you try to sit down.  People have got to understand that you have to share tables in the Lido.  I'm off my soap box.  

Thanks for the detailed info. Just want to say ditto about seating in the Lido. Our last cruise was not even fully booked, yet it was hard to find a seat at lunchtime in the Lido. It was a bit ridiculous. This was on an older ship, the Noordam.

• Like 2

I’m on the Eurodam right now.  I go for dinner around 8pm.  A bunch of the stations are already closed up for the night and the rest are closed promptly at 8:30.   I haven’t had trouble getting a table yet, breakfast or dinner.  I have offered to share with people walking by looking frustrated at not finding a table, only one took me up on it. 

Having a degree in Sociology that studied group behavior, I always find buffets “interesting.”  Lines at the beginning of a slide that passes multiple stations - why not queue at the station?  I saw this happen at a Club Med once - all the Americans dutifully waited in the long cafeteria-style line while the Europeans dove in where they food they wanted was located.  Second day, everyone did the “dive in” and things went so much better.  I got a stink eye last night because I went right where the salmon was to get my piece for my salad and not wait in the line that started back at the fruit.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I’m on the Eurodam right now.  I go for dinner around 8pm.  A bunch of the stations are already closed up for the night and the rest are closed promptly at 8:30.   I haven’t had trouble getting a table yet, breakfast or dinner.  I have offered to share with people walking by looking frustrated at not finding a table, only one took me up on it. 

Having a degree in Sociology that studied group behavior, I always find buffets “interesting.”  Lines at the beginning of a slide that passes multiple stations - why not queue at the station?  I saw this happen at a Club Med once - all the Americans dutifully waited in the long cafeteria-style line while the Europeans dove in where they food they wanted was located.  Second day, everyone did the “dive in” and things went so much better.  I got a stink eye last night because I went right where the salmon was to get my piece for my salad and not wait in the line that started back at the fruit.  

People were doing that on my cruise, going to where they wanted.  The only place I found confusing was the homestead  and the breadboard (I believe). Sometimes it was difficult to figure out who was waiting for what but then I just asked.  Easy peasy.  Never saw a stink eye once.

11 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Since we were in an inside cabin, we asked if we could get a balcony. Apparently there are 4 obstructed cabins they are holding for isolation. We moved to that as soon as it was ready for us the day DH tested positive.

It's interesting that you were allowed to go out into the ship.  When I had COVID, we were given the choice of moving me to a new cabin, allowing my wife to roam the ship, or both of us isolating in our assigned cabin.  Since we had a terrific aft Neptune Suite, we chose the latter.  Thankfully, DW never caught it from me.

Edited by sciencewonk

1 minute ago, sciencewonk said:

It's interesting that you were allowed to go out into the ship.  When I had COVID, we were given the choice of moving me to a new cabin, allowing my wife to roam the ship, or both of us isolating in our assigned cabin.  Since we had a terrific aft Neptune Suite, we chose the latter.  Thanksfully, DW never caught it from me.

Yes, I tested negative and they never tested again.  They have relaxed the protocols quite a bit.  However, they didn't want to give me a key to the new cabin.  They said I have to call Housekeeping every time I wanted to come into that cabin. Funny DH was always in the cabin, so he could have let me in.  Luckily I had a guy at Guest Services who remembered me from a prior issue and he issued both of us keys to the new cabin without any problem lol.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Yes, I tested negative and they never tested again.  They have relaxed the protocols quite a bit.  However, they didn't want to give me a key to the new cabin.  They said I have to call Housekeeping every time I wanted to come into that cabin. Funny DH was always in the cabin, so he could have let me in.  Luckily I had a guy at Guest Services who remembered me from a prior issue and he issued both of us keys to the new cabin without any problem lol.

For sure things have changed a lot.  What happened 6 months ago even isn’t relevant.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Here is the lido menu listed in navigator for my next cruise (for today).  It sounds like homestead is the only place for anything not pre prepped (not talking asian or pasta)  and that is only steak.  If they had a variety it seems odd not to list it.

lido_dinner_2.pdf 191.23 kB · 31 downloads

Thank you for providing  info directly from HAL which proves that there are at least some fresh grill options in the Lido.

It sounded to me like you didn’t think they existed because you said you had only seen “things that come in big trays”. Glad we got that straightened out even if it’s only fresh grilled sirloin on the menu you provided. 

Fresh grilled sirloin, made to order stir fry and made to order pasta will make my 35 nights on Koningsdam  much more enjoyable. I’m sure I will visit the MDR some evenings too, but it’s nice to have the option of freshly grilled meals in the lido that aren’t all “pre-prepped.” 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

I just looked up tonight’s lido menu on the app and it looks to me like they are offering freshly grilled New York strip, rockfish, and salmon. 

On this menu I’d probably go for the freshly carved rotisserie chicken to add to a big salad. yummmy! 

5D353F89-D9C8-4D84-B5EF-3247033E3513.thumb.jpeg.1da4b3e2257a795b4e0a02ac75f7eb0b.jpeg0F882629-8176-44D9-B26F-20A348BD8253.thumb.jpeg.f21ad0026ea28e0e1abc491ec04777ba.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 7:21 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

On the koningsdam in club orange there was one dude in his jammies complete with slippers.  It’s too hard to change footwear.  Lots of people in jammies on that cruise.  Thankfully no one like that on my recent cruise.

We saw that too on Koningsdam recently.   I think there was one guy who was in public in his bath robe practically all of the time. Maybe they lost his luggage. I get squeamish just putting our luggage in the hallway on disembarkation eve while wearing my bathrobe.  I dart out and back in again in a flash! 

I'm not likely to sit in the MDR for over an hour to eat three courses. In 25 years, I have NEVER got my coffee WITH my desert, even after asking. They like to serve the coffee first, then the desert. Guess it's a Dutch thing? I get to Lido ten minutes before they open and I'm usually one of the first few in line, before everything is all picked over. I can have whatever I want and all that I want. My two complaints:  1- the food sits in 'warm' trays for thirty minutes before it is available, so everything is dried out. 2-there is always a question of where the line begins; there is nothing to designate that, a problem which could be so easily resolved with a little sign somewhere, LINE FORMS HERE.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 10:14 AM, terrydtx said:

It boggles my mind too, but I think many people go to the buffet because they do not want to get out of their shorts and flip flops and clean up to go down to the MDR.

I also have no interest in sitting for two hours at dinner. I can manage my time in the Lido much better.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

2-there is always a question of where the line begins; there is nothing to designate that, a problem which could be so easily resolved with a little sign somewhere, LINE FORMS HERE.

So I have never been on a cruise before,  but when i'm at a buffet in Las Vegas or anywhere on land, I just form at the line where the clean plates are.   After that, if I see that people are in line for a particular section that I'm not interested in,  I skip over them.     Is that bad I wonder for a cruise?    No reason to wait in line at the sushi section when I dont eat sushi just to be polite.    Skipping over them only makes sense?     

Dalesyang, I wouldn't advise cutting the line, even for a single item. Imagine if ten people wanted just one thing. The line would get out of whack. It may be considered rude to do so. If you like a shorter line, go off-times; I go as soon as it opens to avoid long lines. It's kind of hit-and-miss, with the crowds. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dalesyang said:

So I have never been on a cruise before,  but when i'm at a buffet in Las Vegas or anywhere on land, I just form at the line where the clean plates are.   After that, if I see that people are in line for a particular section that I'm not interested in,  I skip over them.     Is that bad I wonder for a cruise?    No reason to wait in line at the sushi section when I dont eat sushi just to be polite.    Skipping over them only makes sense?     

That's always a good approach to line-up where the plates are stacked but that's a little more difficult in the Lido because the plates are stacked next to the server for most items in the Lido.   Since most items are plated by the server and are not self-serve there isn't any reason for the plates to be next to the passengers.

It's also not possible to cut into the lines at most stations because the server plates your food.  At most stations you are waiting for the server and not a particular food item.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 1

Just now, BobbiSox said:

Dalesyang, I wouldn't advise cutting the line, even for a single item. Imagine if ten people wanted just one thing. The line would get out of whack. It may be considered rude to do so. If you like a shorter line, go off-times; I go as soon as it opens to avoid long lines. It's kind of hit-and-miss, with the crowds. 

aaaaah,   okay.   good thing I came to this board.  I don't want to be the rude guy lol.

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just looked up tonight’s lido menu on the app and it looks to me like they are offering freshly grilled New York strip, rockfish, and salmon. 

On this menu I’d probably go for the freshly carved rotisserie chicken to add to a big salad. yummmy!

While I am no expert in Lido dinner offerings, I am pretty sure that the fish you mention are not grilled freshly but are pre-prepared. At least such seemed to be the case on the Westerdam cruise I was on when I did a couple of walk-throughs.

Keep in mind HAL has several very different categories of ships, and they are not known for their consistency across the line in how things are done.

Hope for the best but keep expectations reasonable would be a good motto.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, curtdesilets said:

We saw that too on Koningsdam recently.   I think there was one guy who was in public in his bath robe practically all of the time. Maybe they lost his luggage. I get squeamish just putting our luggage in the hallway on disembarkation eve while wearing my bathrobe.  I dart out and back in again in a flash! 

If his luggage was lost I'd have to assume he was wearing clothes but maybe not.  I always put the clothes on that I'm wearing the next day to put my luggage out.  That would be the time someone would walk past.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

While I am no expert in Lido dinner offerings, I am pretty sure that the fish you mention are not grilled freshly but are pre-prepared. At least such seemed to be the case on the Westerdam cruise I was on when I did a couple of walk-throughs.

Keep in mind HAL has several very different categories of ships, and they are not known for their consistency across the line in how things are done.

Of course it is, but let that be a surprise ;).  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thank you-I absolutely agree that keeping expectations low with HAL is wise. In fact, I think anyone with a future cruise should be prepared for even further cost cutting measures. It’s inevitable really.

I could certainly be wrong on the ability to get fresh grilled salmon daily. What a shame since I have been able to get fresh grilled salmon for dinner in the lido on every cruise I’ve taken in the last decade or so (pre covid).

Ironically, a fresh grill was not available on my January Celebrity cruise as part of massive cost cutting measures, but I have since read they brought back the fresh grill station due to popular demand. It is a very popular option for those looking for fresh, hot, and healthy meals. 

Side note- On a RCL cruise just before shutdown I mentioned that the grilled sirloin was tough earlier in the week. The grilling chef reached into his magic cooler and brought out small ribeyes. Of course, that was pre-covid, but I suspect HAL grilling chefs also have a magic drawer. 

At least we know that HAL currently offers fresh carved meats, fresh grilled New York strip, and made to order pasta and stir fry. Will they offer these next month?  No one knows, but given the current financials, I am keeping my expectations realistic.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

We saw that too on Koningsdam recently.   I think there was one guy who was in public in his bath robe practically all of the time.

We saw dozens of people in their robes most sea days on the Kongingsdam last week. There are a few reasons that might be okay, but I don't think I could do it.

• Like 1