Technolgy impaired... questions.

spearmint

I don't have a cellphone.  I know,I am a dinosaur and a rarity.  How inconvenienced am I going to be on my Equinox cruise in November? As an Elite member of Captain's Club, I used to have free time in the ship's internet computer room  If I recall properly, I could print off my plane ticket before leaving the ship and heading to the airport.  Now I see on the Celebrity site, that I will get a percentage off a package. Should I take the package?  Is not WiFi available everywhere on board? Is there a charge?  I was going to bring my laptop, (yep, dinosaur) but am wondering if it will work on board, and what I have to do to access it? Do I need to download something prior to sailing? I ask, as I assume that all you modern people (like some family members) will be married to your phones, and you must have to connect some way while aboard and will be able, as usual, to give me the best advice.

Thanks,

Bill

Just now, spearmint said:

I don't have a cellphone.  I know,I am a dinosaur and a rarity.  How inconvenienced am I going to be on my Equinox cruise in November? As an Elite member of Captain's Club, I used to have free time in the ship's internet computer room  If I recall properly, I could print off my plane ticket before leaving the ship and heading to the airport.  Now I see on the Celebrity site, that I will get a percentage off a package. Should I take the package?  Is not WiFi available everywhere on board? Is there a charge?  I was going to bring my laptop, (yep, dinosaur) but am wondering if it will work on board, and what I have to do to access it? Do I need to download something prior to sailing? I ask, as I assume that all you modern people (like some family members) will be married to your phones, and you must have to connect some way while aboard and will be able, as usual, to give me the best advice.

Thanks,

Bill

You still have those free minutes and in reality there is no change for you. WiFi is still available all over the ship.

• Like 1

You mean you don't have a cell phone bill.

You can still go to the iLounge and use your free minutes on the computers in there like the old days.

Wi-Fi is available throughout the ship and you can use your Elite free minutes to access it or purchase an unlimited Wi-Fi package with a loyalty discount.  As long as you log in to the Wi-Fi one device at a time, you can use your package or free minutes to connect your laptop, iLounge computer, iPad, etc during the cruise

If you bring your laptop, you simply need to connect to the ship's Wi-Fi which will bring you to a login page.  With your purchased Wi-Fi package, the log-in process is pretty trivial.  You do not need to download anything in advance.

Edited by mahdnc

One thing not mentioned yet is that you need to make sure you log out as soon as you are done our your minutes will continued to be consumed.

Depending on what you want to use your laptop for will determine is you really need a package or if your free Elite minutes will be enough.

• Like 1

RTShaker and mahdnc and mahdnc: From the website, under Elite perks, I did not even know that I still had those free minutes!  Thanks! Then I probably don't even need the laptop if the iLounge is still available to me.  I did not ever use it much in the past, but it did come in handy to drop a quick note to family at home, and to print off pre-boarding stuff for the airport.

DaKahuna: Thanks for the reminder; I had forgotten about that little nugget of good info and I was always aware of it. It has been seven years since my last cruise and more than 10 years since I was last on Celebrity (18 cruises)  and I feel like such a newbie this time.

Bill  (and yes, mahdnc, I rreeeaaaalllly don't have a cellphone.😁)

• Like 2

DaKahuna makes a good point.  Depending on your usage of the Wi-Fi, you may not need to buy a package as they are pretty pricey.  You can also decide to buy a Wi-Fi package or a day's worth of Wi-Fi after you get on board so you don't have to commit financially in advance.

2 minutes ago, spearmint said:

Bill  (and yes, mahdnc, I rreeeaaaalllly don't have a cellphone.😁)

I just meant that you are financially better off for not having one (hardware costs and cell phone plan)!

Edited by mahdnc

mahdnc:  Am thinking that you are correct and this is the way to go and I don't need a package at this point.

Am chuckling away over the cellphone bit....  yep, I'm sure I am saving a bunch. The damned things are too small (writing) for me to even consider using as a computer or texting,  and I don't call people all that much anyway. Like I said... dinosaur....🙂

11 minutes ago, spearmint said:

mahdnc:  Am thinking that you are correct and this is the way to go and I don't need a package at this point.

Based on how you described your past usage (go to the iLounge and use their computers), I would agree with you. 

But It's your laptop that prevents me from being 100% sure.  If you are going to the trouble of lugging it on board, are you just going to use it mainly for off line usage like Solitaire or do you intend to surf the web with it (news, check on your stock portfolio, post on Cruise Critic etc)?  You can go through 90 free minutes pretty fast depending on your browsing style.

Like I said earlier, you can buy more Wi-Fi time after you get on board if you find that 90 minutes is not enough.

Edited by mahdnc

we have cell phones but turn  them off they stay  locked in the safe for the cruise..we get by  fine without them although I do use my tablet  on board.

if you want to use your lap top,  go to the Computer area asap, and they will assist you in signing up and  explain how to log on and OFF ( very important after each use)   

AS E +  , we always have enough free minutes so we do not buy more or upgrade.

you can print out boarding passes at the Computer area. they will help you 

OR you can  sign up on line and print at airport

good luck..

hcat..queen of tech challenged!

There really isn't a night to print your boarding pass in advance as you can do so at the airport and if you're checking luggage you'll need to go to the ticketing counter anyways.  Same with checking-in unless you're on one of the few airlines that offer free seat selection during check-in or southwest

• Like 1

I too am a tech dinosaur. I print out all my Celebrity documents for boarding at home so don't use the  Celebrity App at all. I fly Southwest Airlines so I prearrange for a  family member or friend to check me in 24 hours ahead, and I pick up my boarding pass at the airport.

1 minute ago, blade3 said:

I too am a tech dinosaur. I print out all my Celebrity documents for boarding at home so don't use the  Celebrity App at all. I fly Southwest Airlines so I prearrange for a  family member or friend to check me in 24 hours ahead, and I pick up my boarding pass at the airport.

Now you've done it.  You had to go and mention the Celebrity App......

5 hours ago, spearmint said:

Thanks,

Bill

Here is an idea...perhaps someone you know has an old cell phone they no longer us. If it works just fine, borrow it and download the Celebrity app and use it on the cruise as a WIFI device only. I keep old phones sometimes and have done this with overseas travel by buying a sim card and using the old phone as a travel phone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

There really isn't a night to print your boarding pass in advance as you can do so at the airport and if you're checking luggage you'll need to go to the ticketing counter anyways.  Same with checking-in unless you're on one of the few airlines that offer free seat selection during check-in or southwest

sw .. print boarding pass and check in 24hrs in advance...no idea if it matters??

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Now you've done it.  You had to go and mention the Celebrity App......

let's not mention it....we do very well without it.. heard lots of times menus and event times are not accurate.

we open  our door, order drinks and make res without it..   others live it... for us ..no need to carry around a  deice!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

sw .. print boarding pass and check in 24hrs in advance...no idea if it matters??

With SW you'll want to check in as early as possible (right at 24 hours) to get a better boarding position...However that has nothing to do with the boarding pass which can be printed quickly at the airport

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

let's not mention it....we do very well without it.. heard lots of times menus and event times are not accurate.

we open  our door, order drinks and make res without it..   others live it... for us ..no need to carry around a  deice!

We just told the self proclaimed technology dinosaur that it was safe to come out and play. Telling it about the Celebrity app is like telling it that there’s an extinction level event meteor hurdling towards earth. 

4 hours ago, spearmint said:

Thanks, all.  My concerns have been met it would seem.... as I knew that they would be.🙂

Bill

Once you get on board 🚢 it will be like you never left ! Bon Voyage 👋 

I still have a flip phone. When I need to talk to someone (which isn't very often) I dial. When I hear hello I say hello  I talk. They talk. They hang up. I hang up. That's all I need.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

With SW you'll want to check in as arly as possible (right at 24 hours) to get a better boarding position...

With Southwest you can prepurchase EarlyBird, which automatically checks you in 36 hours before the flight. It costs $15-25 each way.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

With SW you'll want to check in as early as possible (right at 24 hours) to get a better boarding position...However that has nothing to do with the boarding pass which can be printed quickly at the airport

Not if they are A List preferred or bought Business Select tickets.

• Like 1