Unfair Sanctuary Practice

SW.FloridaPhil

17 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

It is frustrating but even more so is that many people reserve a spot and then don’t show up or have the decency to cancel the reservation. Princess doesn’t charge them if they don’t show up and we have seen many empty loungers while in the Sanctuary. It is too bad that it is done that way. Cruisers are disappointed and Princess is losing money by also not charging no shows. 

Wait! Princess does not charge the people who book the spots and dont show up??? Now thats just plain wrong. If they book a full week  they should have to pre-pay the full week. Maybe that would reduce some of the early bookings. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ldtr said:

More likely to give the priority to suites with the direction of the Sun where the suites will have their own Sanctuary like area. Retro fit the existing ships and give the space to the suites.

I’m just the opposite.  Why do guests who already have a balcony need the Sanctuary?  I think first come should be for insides, then OV cabins.  EM

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Wait! Princess does not charge the people who book the spots and dont show up??? Now thats just plain wrong. If they book a full week  they should have to pre-pay the full week. Maybe that would reduce some of the early bookings. 

If you book a full week you do pay for the week on day one.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I’m just the opposite.  Why do guests who already have a balcony need the Sanctuary?  I think first come should be for insides, then OV cabins.  EM

I'm probably going to be skewered for this, but is it your suggestion that the people who paid the least for their cabins (inside and OV) should have priority for this area over the people who paid the most (suites)? 

• Like 3

I don't think that your cabin type (suite, inside, whatever) should have anything to do with getting a sanctuary reservation.  Nor do I think loyalty level should.   I have heard of people reserving an inside or OV with the thought that they would spend the day in the sanctuary, justifying the cost by saving on the fare.  

I'm not sure why I'm posting in this thread, as I've never used the sanctuary.  I don't mind laying near the pools or the sun deck.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I have heard of people reserving an inside or OV with the thought that they would spend the day in the sanctuary, justifying the cost by saving on the fare.  

BITD, when Sanctuary first came on the scene, that is what I used to say - we are booking inside and spend extra for full-voyage Sanctuary (it cost half of what it costs now back then) in the Caribbean.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

BITD, when Sanctuary first came on the scene, that is what I used to say - we are booking inside and spend extra for full-voyage Sanctuary (it cost half of what it costs now back then) in the Caribbean.

I think it's a smart thing to do!

11 hours ago, SW.FloridaPhil said:

When sailing on a ship with a Sanctuary area, you can book for single days or the whole cruise. Every time we sail, we rush to the Sanctuary to be able enjoy this area, only to be told that all spots are sold out. We were one of the first to board, and went straight to the Sanctuary even before going to muster station. Seems that the guests doing a b2b booked for both weeks and we were put on a cancellation list. 

How is this fair?

Maybe they should eliminate the "whole cruise" option.  Seems like it would be put to better use if people only booked the times that they plan on using it and it would increase capacity. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TYCruise said:

Maybe they should eliminate the "whole cruise" option.  Seems like it would be put to better use if people only booked the times that they plan on using it and it would increase capacity. 

Many who book the whole cruise may use it part of each day. Booking for AM and PM does not mean you have to actually be there 100% of the time you have paid for.

For example, if you have booked it for an afternoon from 1-5 PM, you may just want to use it from 3-5 PM. If that is the case, it will appear to others at 2 PM that there are no-shows and can't understand why they cannot have that space that afternoon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I think you should be charged if you no show.

But you have already paid for your bed. It is entirely your perrogative to then use it or not.

• Like 4

What do people think of say an “early access” pass for say $120 that is available for purchase 70 days out from the cruise enabling one to book sanctuary reservations online (they would need a seat map for every ship a bit like how you book seats at a cinema), arrival groups and dine my way dining times? Dine my way and arrival groups would then open up to everyone else 60 days before the cruise starts.

Just an idea….

30 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

What do people think of say an “early access” pass for say $120 that is available for purchase 70 days out from the cruise enabling one to book sanctuary reservations online (they would need a seat map for every ship a bit like how you book seats at a cinema), arrival groups and dine my way dining times? Dine my way and arrival groups would then open up to everyone else 60 days before the cruise starts.

Just an idea….

And how do you determine who gets priority to buy the early access pass ?

Plus, there is no need to book dining or arrival times  - you just turn up - so really a non starter. 

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I hate to say this but Princess needs to increase the price of Sanctuary until supply equals demand.  

Since those chairs are sold at a premium and the demand is so high, they should at least double the price to curtail the crowd from booking them. Princess is missing out an a chance to make more profits. 

10 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Personally, I like that there's such a demand for cruising "extras" because it helps subsidize my cruising.  

As do we. If people really want those chairs, they will pay the price, no matter what the charge.

• Like 5

Princess would need to sort out the Medallion App before attempting to do something like this !!  It crashes and has glitches so frequently that some people would miss out. 

Offering Dining requests, arrival times, check in, Sanctuary, drinks packages, speciality restaurants etc etc on booking might be simpler, so then it’s up to you when you book..as long as there was no opportunity to get your deposit back if you simply change your mind, want to swap cruises. ..obviously a different story for medical issues.

First time Princess cruiser. I’ll be on the Majestic Princess in a couple of months In Alaska. I’ve read the Sanctuary is a good place to observe the glaciers on rainy days. Is the Sanctuary on the Majestic the same as other Princess ships? Is there a charge? Do you need to make a reservation?

10 minutes ago, Traveler1977 said:

First time Princess cruiser. I’ll be on the Majestic Princess in a couple of months In Alaska. I’ve read the Sanctuary is a good place to observe the glaciers on rainy days. Is the Sanctuary on the Majestic the same as other Princess ships? Is there a charge? Do you need to make a reservation?

Normally, the answers to your questions would be that yes, you do pay for the Sanctuary and as referenced from the thread's original premise, reservations are mandatory as spots are highly sought after.

But Majestic Princess does not have a Sanctuary. It has what's called the Hollywood Conservatory and it's open to all passengers without charge. It's a completely different layout from the Sanctuary and doesn't have any "private service" like seen in the Sanctuary.

• Like 1

Just now, wowzz said:

And how do you determine who gets priority to buy the early access pass ?

Plus, there is no need to book dining or arrival times  - you just turn up - so really a non starter. 

So I would think anyone could buy them, but do you think they would be too popular and then it is pointless anyway?

Also what if you buy a pass to book the sanctuary and then you can’t book it because it gets booked up, not an easy solution really!

57 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

But Majestic Princess does not have a Sanctuary. It has what's called the Hollywood Conservatory and it's open to all passengers without charge. It's a completely different layout from the Sanctuary and doesn't have any "private service" like seen in the Sanctuary.

Thanks for the clarification. 

17 hours ago, SW.FloridaPhil said:

When sailing on a ship with a Sanctuary area, you can book for single days or the whole cruise. Every time we sail, we rush to the Sanctuary to be able enjoy this area, only to be told that all spots are sold out. We were one of the first to board, and went straight to the Sanctuary even before going to muster station. Seems that the guests doing a b2b booked for both weeks and we were put on a cancellation list. 

How is this fair?

Princess needs to adjust the price upward, until this isn't a problem.

Then when sales are slow, offer a special.

There are many posts by people explaining their planned scheme to be on board first, and then race to the sanctuary to book.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I don't think that your cabin type (suite, inside, whatever) should have anything to do with getting a sanctuary reservation.  Nor do I think loyalty level should.   I have heard of people reserving an inside or OV with the thought that they would spend the day in the sanctuary, justifying the cost by saving on the fare.  

I'm not sure why I'm posting in this thread, as I've never used the sanctuary.  I don't mind laying near the pools or the sun deck.

I dont mind the upper pool area/sun deck either, but on some of the Carribean cruises it is becoming increasingly difficult to find loungers, particularly with any shade. For that reason I thought I would give the sanctuary a try, but so far no luck with getting a spot on my last 3 Carribean cruises. Maybe Alaska would be easier.....lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mnocket said:

That's pretty disappointing.  I'm hoping you have success checking each morning/evening to see if there are cancellations.  There often are since if no-shows don't cancel in advance they get charged.

The best advice I can give is to try to not let this situation anger you to the point that it impacts your enjoyment of your vacation.  No, it's not right, but it is what it is.

Agreed. We don't let things like this, or rude passengers, or chair hogs etc. ruin our trip. What percentage of people in the world have the opportunity to take a cruise vacation??

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

But do they refund you on a day-by-day basis if you dont show up, or if you call to cancel that day?

Basically, your reservation is non-refundable. Use it or lose it.

However,  my understanding is that in inclement weather, when the entire Sanctuary is shut, you will get a refund. 

• Thanks 1