Holland America Drinks Packages Confusion

Super appreciative of those who answered my previous question re: stateroom choices. Since everyone was so helpful I thought I'd ask another question, if I may.

This time re: the HAL drinks package options. The Alaska cruise we are considering offers the Have It All package, which includes one of the drinks packages. I've gotten conflicting information, however, regarding how those drinks packages actually work.

My husband is a scotch whiskey drinker and also likes other top-shelf spirits. I notice that the drinks package included in the Have It All package allows for drinks under $11. Here's where I am confused (and have heard conflicting reports): If one orders a drink that is over the allowed $11, does that drink simply not count at all towards the package (and must one pay the full $11 for it) OR would the allowed $11 be deducted from the total price of that particular drink? I would hate to sign up for the package and then find out none of the drinks we plan to order are even allowed...  

Could anyone offer any insight from your own experiences?

Thanks so much!

You would only pay the difference.  If the drink it $12 you pay $1 plus the 18% gratuity.  This changed around 6 months ago, give or take.  The only conflicting info is people that haven't been on a ship for 6+ months or don't have a package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You would only pay the difference.  If the drink it $12 you pay $1 plus the 18% gratuity.  This changed around 6 months ago, give or take.  The only conflicting info is people that haven't been on a ship for 6+ months or don't have a package.

Quick question.  Since you deduct the $11 from the drink, does that mean it then counts towards the maximum 15 per day?

-gregma

23 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

Quick question.  Since you deduct the $11 from the drink, does that mean it then counts towards the maximum 15 per day?

-gregma

If you upgrade to the elite drinks package your limit increases to $15 drinks. Also the 15 drinks per day now becomes 15 alcoholic drinks and non alcoholic beverages are not included in this limit. 

It is easy to upgrade a package once onboard and before any drinks are purchased. 

Certainly worthwhile if someone is interested in high end beverages.

Rochelle

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vetteguy91 said:

Are the non alcoholic drinks not included in the 15 drink per day limit on both the Signature and elite packages?

They are on the signature, not sure about elite.  There seemed to be confusion on the elite.  I’ve never heard for sure because reality seemed different than Hal’s info.  Since you can pay only the difference I see very little reason to buy the elite.

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

They are on the signature, not sure about elite.  There seemed to be confusion on the elite.  I’ve never heard for sure because reality seemed different than Hal’s info.  Since you can pay only the difference I see very little reason to buy the elite.

The description for the elite says that it includes all that is on Quench and Signature plus the additional items.  See

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Beverage-Packages-2021.pdf

as well as

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Beverage-Packages-2023.pdf

1 hour ago, Shalandara said:

The description for the elite says that it includes all that is on Quench and Signature plus the additional items.  See

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Beverage-Packages-2021.pdf

as well as

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Beverage-Packages-2023.pdf

Yes I’m well aware what it says.  Hal has been known to have mistakes just as I mentioned in my last post. Both of the items you posts are from hal. There have been previous discussions on this board to say it’s not true.  I’d like to hear real world experience.  It’s not something I need because I’ve never reached my 15 limit in one day for the signature package even when one of the bartenders put aside 6 sparkling waters for me one day.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

16 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

So if the drink is $12 you pay just the 18% on the dollar or on the $12?  I understand if $11 or below the 18% is taken care of in the package 

3 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

So if the drink is $12 you pay just the 18% on the dollar or on the $12?  I understand if $11 or below the 18% is taken care of in the package 

For a $12 drink, you would pay $1.18. 

14 hours ago, rochelle_s said:

If you upgrade to the elite drinks package your limit increases to $15 drinks. Also the 15 drinks per day now becomes 15 alcoholic drinks and non alcoholic beverages are not included in this limit. 

It is easy to upgrade a package once onboard and before any drinks are purchased.

Not sure you can upgrade the SBP in HIA anymore, last year on the Oosterdam we could not do this once we boarded. I had been able to upgrade pre covid but I couldn't last year, and I took it up the chain to the food and beverage manager before we ordered any drinks when we boarded. I was told if you bought the SDP and not part of HIA you could upgrade, but if it came with a promo or HIA you couldn't anymore. This was also a month before the new policy of paying the difference for a higher price drink started.

• Like 2

We had the lower of the 2 drink packages (the one offered with AI). We never had an issue with what we wanted (besides when they ran out of a specific beer brand) and there were a few times we tried speciality drinks in the Half Moon Bar and only  paid the difference whatever it was.

We found that it is hard to drink 15 drinks in a day especially when you are on excursions or at Half Moon Cay which does not participate/count.  You have to pay for those  drinks on Half Moon Cay at full price.

As to the 15 drink count, We tended to have 1-2 lattes in morning, would get 4-5 cans of water during the day.  Then a beer for lunch, a painkiller for after lunch, then wine pre dinner, wine at dinner  a specialty drink at Half Moon Bar post dinner and a martini at the BillBoard Onboard/ Rock Roll musical entertainment area.

For us we never hit 15 and to be honest, we starting cutting back on the drink after dinner or the glass of wine at dinner. And made a choice of beer at lunch or the painkiller after lunch. If you do not get the waters,  I can't imagine someone reaching/exceeding the 15 drink limit day in/day out.  Again, on a sea day it is much easier, but if you throw in your time on excursions and your day at Half Moon Cay, you would have to be focused on drinking IMHO.  

Wishing you a great cruise!

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Not sure you can upgrade the SBP in HIA anymore, last year on the Oosterdam we could not do this once we boarded. I had been able to upgrade pre covid but I couldn't last year, and I took it up the chain to the food and beverage manager before we ordered any drinks when we boarded. I was told if you bought the SDP and not part of HIA you could upgrade, but if it came with a promo or HIA you couldn't anymore. This was also a month before the new policy of paying the difference for a higher price drink started.

That was our experience in January 2023.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

That sort of makes sense as the HIA is a discounted bundle of amenities.  It would be difficult to get a starting cost for the SBP upon which to charge the upgrade cost to the Elite package.  

Just now, cbr663 said:

That sort of makes sense as the HIA is a discounted bundle of amenities.  It would be difficult to get a starting cost for the SBP upon which to charge the upgrade cost to the Elite package.  

I am sure that is their reasoning, but with the new policy of only paying the difference it is not that much of an issue anymore. However, with the HIA surf Wi-Fi we were able to upgrade to premium for very little. We booked our August 2024 Volendam cruise with the early booking premium HIA, so we have Premium drinks and Wi-Fi for that cruise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I am sure that is their reasoning, but with the new policy of only paying the difference it is not that much of an issue anymore. However, with the HIA surf Wi-Fi we were able to upgrade to premium for very little. We booked our August 2024 Volendam cruise with the early booking premium HIA, so we have Premium drinks and Wi-Fi for that cruise.

Your WI-FI example continues to confirm that if there is one thing that is consistent with HAL - it is inconsistent.  😆

Edited by cbr663
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Shalandara said:

as well as

So I asked crew news (aka Roger Jett) about this as he is on a cruise right now.  He is getting conflicting info.  One manager says non alcoholic doesn’t count in the elite, the other one says it does 🙄.  If people upgrade be very specific before you do as I suspect both packages count making the elite worthless.  You are better off the pay the difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

So I asked crew news (aka Roger Jett) about this as he is on a cruise right now.  He is getting conflicting info.  One manager says non alcoholic doesn’t count in the elite, the other one says it does 🙄.  If people upgrade be very specific before you do as I suspect both packages count making the elite worthless.  You are better off the pay the difference. 

Disappointing if true.  We have the elite through an early promotion on one of our upcoming cruises -- and husband is dearly fond of smoothies but not a big alcohol drinker.  We never would have willingly chosen elite -- it was just part of the package.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 9:06 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

Signature is 15 total beverages, including alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Elite is 15 alcoholic drinks and unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. It's on the HAL site under the description of each.

Once you have booked, it's spelled out clearly in the Navigator app as well.

@Crew Newsjust posted this updated beverage package list with answers to most FAQs.  He's currently on Volendam.  Thanks again Roger!

Beverage-Package-Contents.pdf (rogerjett-photography.com)

My favorite after dinner drink, Tia Maria is no longer on the list but I can certainly make do with Kahlua!!  😉

~Nancy

11 minutes ago, oakridger said:

@Crew Newsjust posted this updated beverage package list with answers to most FAQs.  He's currently on Volendam.  Thanks again Roger!

Beverage-Package-Contents.pdf (rogerjett-photography.com)

My favorite after dinner drink, Tia Maria is no longer on the list but I can certainly make do with Kahlua!!  😉

~Nancy

Just to make you happy, HAL has included Tia Maria in the new Ocean Bar and the Crows Nest bar menus:  Crows Nest Bar Menu

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ah ha!  I feel so much better now Roger!!  LOL    If the Crow's Nest has it then it might/should actually be available in other bars also.  I have mixed feelings about the different bars having different menus.  In one sense, it highlights some special drinks to try for people who don't already know what they want, but then may seem like the unlisted drinks aren't available there.....which I would hope they are!  After dinner I enjoy the Ocean Bar to listen to live music while sipping a Tia Maria on the rocks!

Can you think of other benefits for passengers or HAL to have different menus at each bar?

~Nancy