Connecting stateroom vs. non connecting

Are there any differences between connecting and non connecting staterooms?  We're in a GS and I noticed it's connecting.  It looks a tad bigger but might be optical illusion.  Thanks for information.  If there is a difference, is it hard to change staterooms?

7 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

on some ships if there is a connecting room, then there is NO sofa.

Does anyone have experience with connecting balcony rooms on Quantum? Don’t want to switch rooms, since my kids will be in the connecting room, but interested to know if we’ll be missing sofas. What’s in place of the sofa, aside from (obv) the door? A chair? Or just a bit of extra open space? No big deal either way…just curious.

Just now, alaska2023 said:

Does anyone have experience with connecting balcony rooms on Quantum? Don’t want to switch rooms, since my kids will be in the connecting room, but interested to know if we’ll be missing sofas. What’s in place of the sofa, aside from (obv) the door? A chair? Or just a bit of extra open space? No big deal either way…just curious.

I suggest you look up on cruisedecksplan.com   and wander around to the connecting and see how the layout is.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I suggest you look up on cruisedecksplan.com   and wander around to the connecting and see how the layout is.

Thanks, I’ve looked before on that site and a few others. All I could find were generic balcony room diagrams with disclaimers that the actual layout may be different than the diagram shown. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

6 minutes ago, alaska2023 said:

Thanks, I’ve looked before on that site and a few others. All I could find were generic balcony room diagrams with disclaimers that the actual layout may be different than the diagram shown. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

hm okay but sometimes there is a little indicator that someone did a you tube video as well.

keep looking.

27 minutes ago, alaska2023 said:

I found this answer in 5 seconds by typing the following into my google searc

"quantum of the seas connecting balcony"

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Connecting rooms have the potential to be more noisy than non-connecting rooms. 

This is true.  Had one once where a guy verbally abused his wife all week.  It was horrible and we could hear it well due to the door In between.  Finally saw them 5-6 days in and they were an older couple.  

I really wanted to give that guy a taste of his own medicine, but I just gave him my best Clint Eastwood stare and left it at that.  It had clearly been going on for decades and wasn’t physical that we ever heard.  It was a horrible thing to hear daily. Last connecting we ever had without it being our group in both cabins.  I’d switch cabins if possible.  

2 hours ago, alaska2023 said:

On Q class the connecting doors between the rooms are as soon as you enter the cabin and do not affect whether there is a sofa or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have connecting rooms on the Odyssey coming up in Aug.

Does anyone know if there is a "step" in the door between rooms? and if the door can be left open. I ask because our toddler will wander out half asleep to our bed in the middle of the night.

2 minutes ago, jeffporfirio01 said:

Does anyone know if there is a "step" in the door between rooms? and if the door can be left open.

The floor should be fairly flat between the cabins with just a very minimal threshold. Yes, the door can usually be left open.

• Thanks 1

Connecting cabins usually mean a chair instead of a sofa.  

Connecting cabins CAN mean more noise:  we once had a balcony connected to our children's cabin, and the beds were "head to head" through the wall.  When we were in bed, we definitely heard them moving around or watching TV.  On the other hand, our last cabin was a connecting promenade room, and I think I heard our neighbor sneeze once.  Maybe we just had better neighbors?  (Don't tell my kids I said that.)  The connecting door was on the blank wall (not our bed wall).  Maybe that made a difference?  

Op stated she was in a Grand Suite.  Usually the connecting door is near the front or back of the those cabins and doesn’t interfere with furniture.  They’d be on the side with the sofa not the bed.  We’ve had one in an OS and didn’t hear anything.  Smaller cabins they can get noisy but honestly we’ve never had a problem although I avoid them when I can as the potential is there. 

18 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Connecting rooms have the potential to be more noisy than non-connecting rooms. 

I would agree with this.  Anytime I would choose a stateroom guarantee, I would always get a connecting stateroom.  After about four-five times, I changed my booking process and made sure I would never get a connecting stateroom again.  I may have just had really bad luck, but you hear everything.  Fighting, kids yelling, above normal conversational volume, bathroom/closet/balcony doors slamming, TV, and even adult fun time (which may be a plus depending if you are into that sort of thing 😉).  If those things bother you, just bring some noise cancelling earbuds or some earplugs just in case.  Unfortunately you never know who your neighbor will be, so be prepared just in case.

Edited by TheBucketLister
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, roupa said:

Is there a partition of any sort between the 2 balconies of a connecting room?

There are partitions between every staterooms balcony.  Some can be opened up if you have both of the staterooms to make one large balcony.  Just ask your stateroom attendant.

Edited by TheBucketLister
  • Thanks 1