O Life is changing

LHT28

I tracked down an article summarizing Mr. del Rio’s comments and it concerns me somewhat.  My wife and I like the niche that Oceania has carved out, allowing us to customize our cruise. We don’t like the all inclusive lines such as Regent because we end up paying for things we don’t want.  We don’t drink enough alcohol, we don’t take enough cruise company excursions, and we usually enjoy booking our own air because we like to go early and stay late.  The O Life program allows us to pick and pay for what we want. 

I get that others may like the all inclusive package, but I hope Oceania doesn’t remove all the choices for the rest of us.

Jim

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

One of my biggest issues with Viking as well. We also are not shore excursions except when the port truly does make the most sense….and it was never the included Viking excursion - unless we used it as transportation which only works with walking tours. Now their pricing has really taken a jump. 
Their “included” drinks package always needs the upgraded package for us, but that charge was reasonable compared to other lines. 

And what you are basically describing is the big difference between Oceania and its sister line, Regent. A menu of inclusions (Oceania) vs all-inclusive (Regent). On Regent, you get what you pay (extra) for - even if you don’t want it.

• Like 1

Just now, Flatbush Flyer said:

And what you are basically describing is the big difference between Oceania and its sister line, Regent. A menu of inclusions (Oceania) vs all-inclusive (Regent). On Regent, you get what you pay (extra) for - even if you don’t want it.

Which is also my hesitation there. If O changes this up, then that will impact pricing and decisions as they will be similar to several other lines. 
We have an upcoming trip on Seabourn (first time) that had a sale I couldn’t skip last summer. We will see how we feel about them for future cruises.  O has an itinerary next April in the Med that I am strongly looking at on Vista. Not going to book anything until after this trip though. 

11 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Which is also my hesitation there. If O changes this up, then that will impact pricing and decisions as they will be similar to several other lines. 
We have an upcoming trip on Seabourn (first time) that had a sale I couldn’t skip last summer. We will see how we feel about them for future cruises.  O has an itinerary next April in the Med that I am strongly looking at on Vista. Not going to book anything until after this trip though. 

You may want to do a book onboard which gets you a lower price match guarantee as long as there’s cabin availability. 

13 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I cannot post a link as it was  a travel site

here is part of the quote from FDR JR

"a new promotion will be launched in mid-July that will offer updates and replace the O Life program that offered a choice of free shore excursions, onboard credit or beverage packages.

“We’re making it easy because instead of making choices, you’re just going to get it all,” Del Rio said."

Time will tell but I am hoping that last sentence does not mean that cruise only fare will be going away.  As we don't really drink and are generally not interested in most shore excursions (at least at this time,) cruise only kept Oceania within reach financially for us as opposed to the more all inclusive luxury lines.  As we all know, usually included does not mean free but rather that you paid for it up front.  Still, as long as prices remain mostly similar, we might enjoy trying a few glasses of wine here or there.  Prefer excursions stay separate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Woofa said:

Time will tell but I am hoping that last sentence does not mean that cruise only fare will be going away.  As we don't really drink and are generally not interested in most shore excursions (at least at this time,) cruise only kept Oceania within reach financially for us as opposed to the more all inclusive luxury lines.  As we all know, usually included does not mean free but rather that you paid for it up front.  Still, as long as prices remain mostly similar, we might enjoy trying a few glasses of wine here or there.  Prefer excursions stay separate.

I am guessing  the cruise only fares  will still be an option

🤞

• Like 4

This entire release is bizarre.

To start, FDR is leaving the end of June. Why another poorly descriptive release from him now concerning what will happen after he leaves? 

Second, we have been told that the new cruise releases would happen in August, for Allure, and September for the rest of the fleet. Therefore, while Oceania is currently conducting an ESS sale, did FDR just announce they’ll be a completely new sale in remaking cabins in mid July? Why would anyone do that?? 🙄

Bizarre!

I do hope the new guy’s written communication skills far exceed FDR’s! 

This may be just a poorly worded excuse to raise the base price of the cruises.  I just can’t imagine how Oceania (or any other cruise line) can sustain its bottom line if they have to resort to this kind of discounted sales indeinitely.

• Like 2

Nice article on another site re: O changes.  Not saying what site, because when I previously posted a comment and link to an article from that site, the entire thread taken down.  Do not know why.

Edited by FetaCheese
addl info

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

can you just paraphrase some of the highlights?

It was a presentation aboard the Vista from top execs, FDR, Jr., Niki Upshaw and Harry Somer, with the website. They provided the site with an update on travel agent policies and changes, new itins. and ships

They are testing No Non-Commissionable Fares. The new promotion, coming in July, will be simpler and clearly convey the value.  They mentioned the Extr. Savings sale, and said it was filling berths.  They will test the program with the top 50 producer agencies, with better marketing material, and a global policies platform.  I'd like to provide the article link, but will not this time.

Hard to paraphrase, as its a long article.  You should be able to find it; a major news site about cruise the industry.

Thank you for this.

That's a major shift in doing business.

Right now we book with an O rep and then turn it over to an agent that gives us a hefty rebate.

What will happen to those Agencies? They will continue to collect commissions from other cruiselines but not O.

Edited by jonthomas

The  statement

"A no-NCF policy generally will pay commission on non-commissionable parts of the fare, such as port charges or beverage packages."

In the past  companies  never paid  commissions on port fees  so now they are trying a pilot program to see how it goes

Ah so they will still pay commission, but reduced.

I think Viking does something like this and a result TAs can only give max 200 per booking  as a rebate.

If the rebate is this small, might be better to just stay with O or turn over to top agencies that may not give rebates but be part of the silent sales.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Ah so they will still pay commission, but reduced.

I think you have it backward:  a no-NCF policy means they collect the commission on the entire fare paid by the customer, meaning the base fare plus all other charges – so the commission is higher.  This is why they are touting this in a trade channel as a good thing for travel agents.

• Like 2

Here is a link to the article, which is in SeaTrade Cruise News:

Oceania Cruises tests no NCFs, plans new promotions, eyes next ship class

[Note that it is perfectly fine to post such links on Cruise Critic.  What can cause problems is quoting form the article, as the link between 'fair use' and 'copyright violation' is subjective.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think you have it backward:  a no-NCF policy means they collect the commission on the entire fare paid by the customer, meaning the base fare plus all other charges – so the commission is higher.  This is why they are touting this in a trade channel as a good thing for travel agents.

Exactly the opposite of what I thought.

I was also told by someone else in the know, that O plans to reduce commissions paid to agents.

I was also told by someone else in the know, that O plans to reduce commissions paid to agents.

Don't know about that.  The article is clearly telling Travel Agents that Oceania is committed to keeping and expanding their business, which to me means they will be supporting them with commissions [because as someone posted on another thread recently, People say it's about principal not money, but it's always about the money.]

• Like 1

Obviously  "not in the know"   🙄

15 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Obviously  "not in the know"   🙄

Actually, Obviously we haven’t a clue.

Oceania could increase the commissionable categories while meanwhile reducing the overall commissionable rate/percentage . Some Agents win, some lose. Far too early to make any predictions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GICNJC said:

We received a Mediterranean brochure where all cruises were the Ultimate on Friday.  Maybe this is what is coming?

What starting dates are the cruises ?

Maybe this is part of the new program