O Life is changing

LHT28

Brochure titled European Connoisseur 2023 Voyages.  Sailing dates Jun 12, 2023 to Nov 3, 2023.  The brochure focused on food related issues and associated food related shore excursions.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GICNJC said:

Brochure titled European Connoisseur 2023 Voyages.  Sailing dates Jun 12, 2023 to Nov 3, 2023.  The brochure focused on food related issues and associated food related shore excursions.  

Of course, this current set of brochures and promos (ultimate O Life, “ESS” and comp land stay) are all designed to fill the ships for the remainder of 2023 and then close a difficult Covid chapter for O in the history of the cruise industry.

The addition of two Allura class ships to the O fleet (and their expected emphasis on the shorter “milk run” cruises favored by mass market lines) will allow O to focus its R ship efforts on a mix of more unusual/exotic mult-segment options that can be far more profitable with increased pricing tied to an emphasis on ultimate O Life as the regular deal. And the only way that O would shoot itself in the foot would be if it eliminated the “cruise only” fare and “air credit” options that have long served as a distinguishing characteristic of the cruise industry’s “premium” segment (the definition of which began with O two decades ago).

BTW, I predict that, when the dust settles, we’ll see a lot more of Marina on the Pacific Rim.

Oceania’s biggest challenge is going to be transitioning from the antiquated R ships to a new model. O has a gradually decreasing number of patrons that enjoy listening to all Perry Como and 1950 music, the same as they have R ship fans. Still there,  but disappearing. Even among Oceania cheerleaders aboard ship, I’m hearing “ we’ll no longer sail R ships!” 

You can’t build new 700 passenger ships and charge Premium Line prices. You have to go luxury, which Oceania isn’t. The two new 1200 passenger A ships are a nod in that direction. 

I believe, in one of the releases, FDR hinted at a near future ATW on an A ship. A search for those potential ATWers, having no interest in doing one on 25+ year old ship. As the new ships come online, it will be interesting to see how they transition the old ones out. It’s something the old line companies have been doing for decades and something the now 20 year old will have to learn.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Flatbush;

They have already moved the Riviera to the Pacific Rim. I’m sailing her there April  2024.

Not what I am talking about. Look at pre-post your cruise. The ship will concentrate a period of time in Asia but come from and return to Europe.

I’m talking about an O ship home based in the Pacific and serving it’s four main marine quadrants (hemispherically) year ‘round. The only question that would remain is would there be a hub (like MIA in the Atlantic). Though not a given, my money then would be on L.A. because of the strength of the US cruising market.

17 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not what I am talking about. Look at pre-post your cruise. The ship will concentrate a period of time in Asia but come from and return to Europe.

I’m talking about an O ship home based in the Pacific and serving it’s four main marine quadrants (hemispherically) year ‘round. The only question that would remain is would there be a hub (like MIA in the Atlantic). Though not a given, my money then would be on L.A. because of the strength of the US cruising market.

Did you make the Orient during your military stint way back when?  There are a couple of things called Typhoon Season and Monsoon Season which make certain areas, during certain periods, as unattractive to cruise as the Baltic in December. China, meanwhile, will remain a huge question mark for any activities.

Oceania stopped sending Marina to the FP for the sole reason they were consistently running at 70 or so percent capacity. I would love for the OZ circumnavigation to be on an O or R ship. It’s all those in between segments O suffers with.

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Oceania’s biggest challenge is going to be transitioning from the antiquated R ships to a new model. O has a gradually decreasing number of patrons that enjoy listening to all Perry Como and 1950 music, the same as they have R ship fans. Still there,  but disappearing. Even among Oceania cheerleaders aboard ship, I’m hearing “ we’ll no longer sail R ships!” 

You can’t build new 700 passenger ships and charge Premium Line prices. You have to go luxury, which Oceania isn’t. The two new 1200 passenger A ships are a nod in that direction. 

I believe, in one of the releases, FDR hinted at a near future ATW on an A ship. A search for those potential ATWers, having no interest in doing one on 25+ year old ship. As the new ships come online, it will be interesting to see how they transition the old ones out. It’s something the old line companies have been doing for decades and something the now 20 year old will have to learn.

Certainly, the R ships will eventually succumb to the ravages of mechanical old age. But, I wouldn’t count them out just yet. Nor would I count out a passenger demographic more defined by travel style and preference than by age alone.

And, if anything, the next step for O should be an Expedition Ship.

As simply put as it can be (at least for the next decade), O’s best direction will be anchor (hub) points in the Atlantic and Pacific and a currently sized A/O/R fleet to which will be added an Expedition component.

BTW, as regards the blossoming ocean expedition business, look at the current expansion of the small/expedition ship offering being done by the higher end (primarily land focused) Tour businesses most premium/luxury cruisers could name in a second (but I doubt I would be allowed to name here). These premium/luxury Tour outfits  are increasing their small ship chartering offerings using marine outfits like Ponant and Silverseas.

…. Which reminds me of a question I need to ask all O regulars reading this: Has anyone cruised on Isabella II in the Galápogos? We just deposited a land/sea trip for a bucket list  Galápagos/Machu Picchu “expedition.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Did you make the Orient during your military stint way back when?  There are a couple of things called Typhoon Season and Monsoon Season which make certain areas, during certain periods, as unattractive to cruise as the Baltic in December. China, meanwhile, will remain a huge question mark for any activities.

Oceania stopped sending Marina to the FP for the sole reason they were consistently running at 70 or so percent capacity. I would love for the OZ circumnavigation to be on an O or R ship. It’s all those in between segments O suffers with.

The Pacific is huge enough that a desirable annual calendar could be worked out. As for Marina in the Pacific years ago, it was the right  idea - just a bit premature.

In any case, we can agree to disagree. But, while we’re doing that, take a peek at United Airlines’ current Pacific expansion. 

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Oceania would have done better in FP if they hadn't insisted on being there during the rainiest/muggiest time of the year. I would roll my eyes at their FP itineraries every year.

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Certainly, the R ships will eventually succumb to the ravages of mechanical old age. But, I wouldn’t count them out just yet. Nor would I count out a passenger demographic more defined by travel style and preference than by age alone.

And, if anything, the next step for O should be an Expedition Ship.

As simply put as it can be (at least for the next decade), O’s best direction will be anchor (hub) points in the Atlantic and Pacific and a currently sized A/O/R fleet to which will be added an Expedition component.

BTW, as regards the blossoming ocean expedition business, look at the current expansion of the small/expedition ship offering being done by the higher end (primarily land focused) Tour businesses most premium/luxury cruisers could name in a second (but I doubt I would be allowed to name here). These premium/luxury Tour outfits  are increasing their small ship chartering offerings using marine outfits like Ponant and Silverseas.

…. Which reminds me of a question I need to ask all O regulars reading this: Has anyone cruised on Isabella II in the Galápogos? We just deposited a land/sea trip for a bucket list  Galápagos/Machu Picchu “expedition.”

We did the galapagos plus 3 days in Quito, on the celebrity,  Expedition. 90 passengers. Our best experience by far, out of 55 cruises or so. Stopped counting a while ago.

51 minutes ago, avalong said:

Oceania would have done better in FP if they hadn't insisted on being there during the rainiest/muggiest time of the year. I would roll my eyes at their FP itineraries every year.

Thank You, my point exactly! If you to sail cruises, if have to sell it for when people want to be there.🥂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

We did the galapagos plus 3 days in Quito, on the celebrity,  Expedition. 90 passengers. Our best experience by far, out of 55 cruises or so. Stopped counting a while ago.

The ship that will do our 6 Galapagos days, Isabella II, is 40 passengers and is a “local” company for which I’ve seen only great reviews. The 11 land days (mostly Belmond hotels) will include Lima/Miraflores, Cusco, 2 days at Machu Picchu, Quito and Guayaquil. We know Lima and always enjoy returning there. Aah! - Pisco Sours!

12 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Flatbush;

They have already moved the Riviera to the Pacific Rim. I’m sailing her there April  2024.

And I’m on her the following year, APR 2025. Tokyo to Vancouver.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 11:01 AM, Vineyard View said:

Which is also my hesitation there. If O changes this up, then that will impact pricing and decisions as they will be similar to several other lines. 
We have an upcoming trip on Seabourn (first time) that had a sale I couldn’t skip last summer. We will see how we feel about them for future cruises.  O has an itinerary next April in the Med that I am strongly looking at on Vista. Not going to book anything until after this trip though. 

We had our first Seabourn cruise on March 17-29 (Brazilian Coast and Amazon expedition); the cruise was very good, and food was the best (including food unlimited 24-hour black caviar) among all our cruise during 24 years!

The most recent brochure I've received in the UK was devoted to cruises to which a short land programme is included in the cruise price. For example, take a cruise ending in Cape Town and you get a 3 (?)  day safari as well. Not seen that before in the several years I've been getting promotions from O. I can see how it may well appeal.

On 5/11/2023 at 6:57 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

The ship that will do our 6 Galapagos days, Isabella II, is 40 passengers and is a “local” company for which I’ve seen only great reviews. The 11 land days (mostly Belmond hotels) will include Lima/Miraflores, Cusco, 2 days at Machu Picchu, Quito and Guayaquil. We know Lima and always enjoy returning there. Aah! - Pisco Sours!

Did a land tour of Cusco and Macau Picchu through Belmond. Their hotels in the Sacred valley and at Mach Picchu. ($1,400 per night) were outstanding.  Chose to stay at a Marriott in Cusco.  They arranged the train and tours.  

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

We had our first Seabourn cruise on March 17-29 (Brazilian Coast and Amazon expedition); the cruise was very good, and food was the best (including food unlimited 24-hour black caviar) among all our cruise during 24 years!

Thank you for confirming that you very much enjoyed Seabourn. We are excited to experience them.  Looking forward to enjoying caviar a couple times as well. 

Sadly the toxicity of some posts on this thread have totally derailed it, and apparently no one has an answer to OP's original question – so the thread is locked.  When someone finds out something definite about changes to O Life, please start a new thread.