Arrival time at the terminal?

Cruising Juls

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Usually 30 to 60 days before embarkation.

But nobody at check-in cares what time you arrive.

From what I’ve heard this is Unless you travel from Southampton UK. They are getting stricter with boarding times. P&O and Princess. Can’t speak for other companies. If you turn up too early they put you in a separate queue & don’t release the queue until nearer the time you are meant to board

i think it depends how busy the ship is too though

must be a typical Brit queuing thing 🙄 (speaking as a Brit!)

• Like 1

Just now, wowzz said:

No evidence at all that Princess are getting strict.

It’s just what I’ve heard from the port regarding Princess, but I’ve not experienced it with Princess personally

I experienced it with P&O and the port staff said, while I was at the terminal, it was the same with other terminals and other cruise lines too - because its a decision taken by the port only. not a decision the cruise company

This was also told to me by cruise company staff over the phone with Princess and P&O recently

happy for myself and the people I’ve spoke to at the port & on the phones to be proven wrong when I sail-

People were turning up 30 min early & stuck in a separate queue- far too strict

3 hours ago, Cruising Juls said:

How far out can we select our arrival time at the terminal?

I'm 58 days out and just picked ours - I know it doesn't matter but the QR code appears when I have picked my time and I like that big green QR code.

1. Go to Personal information & Documents in the app

2. Scroll down to Suggested information and choose Arrivals

3.Pick your cruise (if you have more than one booked)

4. Pick your time and confirm.

19 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

It’s just what I’ve heard from the port regarding Princess, but I’ve not experienced it with Princess personally

I experienced it with P&O and the port staff said, while I was at the terminal, it was the same with other terminals and other cruise lines too - because its a decision taken by the port only. not a decision the cruise company

This was also told to me by cruise company staff over the phone with Princess and P&O recently

happy for myself and the people I’ve spoke to at the port & on the phones to be proven wrong when I sail-

People were turning up 30 min early & stuck in a separate queue- far too strict

I'm just going by my own experience last month, and the comments from various live blogs.

• Like 2

I think it's a process that Princess would like to use regardless of the size of the ship and the ability of the staffing and space within the terminal to handle a crowd.  Certainly the medallion has made the process quicker and terminals such as #2 at Port Everglades has the capacity to handle more volume, but there are terminals elsewhere that aren't as large or the staffing isn't as proficient as others that make everyone arriving at once a problem - so space the groups out.

In 7 sailings since the restart we have never had our arrival time checked.  And at least 7 cruises prior to the medallion infestation never had it checked as well (using paper travel itineraries, of course)

• Like 4

I am still baffled why people worry about arrival times, especially when one has a pre cruise Princess transfer.  When one arrives at the pick up location, the bus driver does not ask you about your arrival time.   When one arrives at the cruise port, the luggage porters or the people checking you in have  never asked us aboout our arrival time.  Sure you may have to wait a bit if they are regulating the amount of people getting on the ship.   We have never been turned away from a check in because we were too early.  When 1500 to 2500 people are getting on a ship in a 4 to 5 hour window, they are processed as they get there and board when they are allowed to.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, StrawberryHill said:

I am still baffled why people worry about arrival times, especially when one has a pre cruise Princess transfer.  When one arrives at the pick up location, the bus driver does not ask you about your arrival time.   When one arrives at the cruise port, the luggage porters or the people checking you in have  never asked us about our arrival time.  Sure you may have to wait a bit if they are regulating the amount of people getting on the ship.   We have never been turned away from a check in because we were too early.  When 1500 to 2500 people are getting on a ship in a 4 to 5 hour window, they are processed as they get there and board when they are allowed to.

Well composed.

We're always early, from our first Princess Cruise we have never paid any attention to these time slots. Show up early and board the ship in the first group or close to the first. But now with priority boarding, it is the first group. I know some will not like this, but if you take control of your own business, it always seems to work out.  Last boarding, we showed up at the port in San Diego 10:10am, we had a 10:30 boarding time. Security tried to tell us to go away, not boarding for at least two hours. We walked on the ship at 11:19am. Drop our carry on bags, did the muster drill check in and where at the MDR at noon for lunch. 

• Like 2