New or old news?

Wonky

19 hours ago, wowzz said:

Whilst it is good news for those who like adult ships, the refurbishments announced seem to relate to mainly cosmetic changes such as furniture, soft furnishings etc. rather than structural improvements. 

As you said some time ago, bathrooms,  for example are designed to last the life of the ship, and replacing them is really not feasible.  And the bathrooms on Arcadia are already showing their age !

We were thoroughly disappointed with our cruise on Arcadia last year - so, much as we like the idea of adult cruises,  we are not prepared to cruise on her again, despite the adult only benefit. 

Goodness knows what state Arcadia and Aurora will be like in five years time.

Aurora was in really good nick last Summer when I sailed on her. Public rooms all looked great as did my cabin. Decent mattress, cabinetry in a good state and bathroom all functioning well. Yes, a shower curtain but as the shower cabinets are a decent size, that wasn't really a problem.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I suppose anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. 

However,  if you were P&O management, how much money would you invest on a ship with only 6 or 7 years life left ?

If you never intend having another 2000 berth new build, then it could well be worth spending a significant amount, and giving them another 10 or 15 years life. Most luxury cruise lines have ships much older than Aurora still in service.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you never intend having another 2000 berth new build, then it could well be worth spending a significant amount, and giving them another 10 or 15 years life. Most luxury cruise lines have ships much older than Aurora still in service.

True, but fares would have to increase significantly to offset the expenditure. If P&O prices reach Oceania or Azmara levels, how many will remain with P&O? 

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

True, but fares would have to increase significantly to offset the expenditure. If P&O prices reach Oceania or Azmara levels, how many will remain with P&O? 

I can’t see that happening. P&O have repositioned their brand too much now and a luxury (expensive) ship wouldn’t fit. Older / traditional cruisers are still prepared to pay a premium to go on Aurora and Arcadia for the better itineraries and smaller ship experience, even though the ships are dated and don’t offer a luxury experience. However, these folk are either dying off or starting to move elsewhere, so even that model won’t be sustainable longer term!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I can’t see that happening. P&O have repositioned their brand too much now and a luxury (expensive) ship wouldn’t fit. Older / traditional cruisers are still prepared to pay a premium to go on Aurora and Arcadia for the better itineraries and smaller ship experience, even though the ships are dated and don’t offer a luxury experience. However, these folk are either dying off or starting to move elsewhere, so even that model won’t be sustainable longer term!

My bold - Fred Olsen, Saga and Ambassador are nipping at P&O's heels (well biting big chunks I would surmise) for the smaller ship, adult only market. 

I have done 2 Ambassador cruises with a third one coming up. In most areas, especially value for money, they are beating P&O hands down at the moment.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

My bold - Fred Olsen, Saga and Ambassador are nipping at P&O's heels (well biting big chunks I would surmise) for the smaller ship, adult only market. 

I have done 2 Ambassador cruises with a third one coming up. In most areas, especially value for money, they are beating P&O hands down at the moment.

Not on price. Far more expensive, especially for solos, than P&O. Arcadia and Aurora are expensive but still better value than Fred and Ambassador ( whose ships are old too!) 

29 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

I would agree about Ambassador after taking two cruises on Ambience, plus Ambition ready for her maiden. We had a 40 night cruise on Arcadia inbetween the 2 Ambassador cruises and there was little to choose overall, the Arcadia was 40% more expensive for similar grade cabin. The food on the second Ambassador was the best overall. Saga and Fred are considerably more expensive but fill their own niche and would fill the gap when Aurora and Arcadia go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I don't think you can compare Fred with Saga,  I would hope that Fred  is considerably cheaper per day, with their old ships and lack of inclusions.

Every time I look at the price of a balcony cabin on Fred, I get an attack of the vapours !!

So expensive.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I read on social media that P&O are putting up the Drinks Package or maybe adding another at £64.49pd to include premium brands and cocktails. It maybe a load of nonsense, hope Moley will comment. 

As much as I like a beer or three, The Ole Lady likewise with wine,  even at £39.95 pppd it wasn't worthwhile for us every day. 

Princess currently have a promotion on their Princess Plus package.  From £25pppd on selected 2024 sailings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Not on price. Far more expensive, especially for solos, than P&O. Arcadia and Aurora are expensive but still better value than Fred and Ambassador ( whose ships are old too!) 

I've found Ambassador's solo prices pretty similar to those of Aurora.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Every time I look at the price of a balcony cabin on Fred, I get an attack of the vapours !!

So expensive.

They are and I am amazed that people pay some of their prices, saying that I have seen a couple of reasonable offers for insides over the next couple of months, but when you look at balconies they have not dropped much. 

I was put off Fred because last time I asked (admittedly some years ago) as they still allowed smoking on balconies. I presume that’s not the case now? As with Ambassador, my perception is that they offer a product that is no better than P&O, on older ships, but at much higher prices. Am I missing something by not looking at them seriously?

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I was put off Fred because last time I asked (admittedly some years ago) as they still allowed smoking on balconies. I presume that’s not the case now? As with Ambassador, my perception is that they offer a product that is no better than P&O, on older ships, but at much higher prices. Am I missing something by not looking at them seriously?

Pricewise, we have snagged some very good deals. £100 pppd including drinks and gratuities for 11 days round Britain at Easter. We are doing Norway and North Cape next month for about £150 pppd inclusive.

Their solo prices do seem high though (possibly because they market some cabins as solo?).

Food is better on Ambassador, entertainment is better. They seem to have mainly sorted the 'hardware problems' on Ambience. I think you may be missing something.

3 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Another problem with Ambassador, et al, is that they do not sail from Southampton, which is most convenient for me. 

I live in Central London so Tilbury is easy, especially with the coach from Victoria coach station.😀

I guess 'our friends in the North' (and West) could now start looking at Ambassador Ambition as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Ambassador launch prices are similar to P&O when comparing similar cruises which isn't always easy. I prefer Ambassador itineraries and their choice of longer cruises as that is what we typically go for, apart from the P&O 35 nights to Caribbean. Having travelled on Ambassador 2 x 21 nights and Arcadia 40 nights all inside cabins my vote would go to Ambassador, the food and entertainment were very similar on both. Seemingly the air con and toilets have the same issues on both, we didn't have any problems on either. We used to cruise quite a bit with Fred in the past but the prices got silly when comparing to P&O and Ambassador. Ambassador have the Hidden Baltic cruise 16 nights from 16th May at £399 = £25 pnpp, I don't know how much balconies are or whether there are any available but we couldn't live at home for that price, sadly we will be in Japan or I would have already booked this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

Pricewise, we have snagged some very good deals. £100 pppd including drinks and gratuities for 11 days round Britain at Easter. We are doing Norway and North Cape next month for about £150 pppd inclusive.

Their solo prices do seem high though (possibly because they market some cabins as solo?).

Food is better on Ambassador, entertainment is better. They seem to have mainly sorted the 'hardware problems' on Ambience. I think you may be missing something.

Was that £100 pppd for a balcony cabin, and was that Ambassador or Fred Olsen? That’s our price cap now for P&O for a balcony cabin, as we feel comfortable paying up to that for what is now offered. Would we get a balcony cabin for a max of £100 pppd on either line?

Edited by Selbourne

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Was that £100 pppd for a balcony cabin, and was that Ambassador or Fred Olsen? That’s our price cap now for P&O for a balcony cabin, as we feel comfortable paying up to that for what is now offered. Would we get a balcony cabin for a max of £100 pppd on either line?

£100 pppd was for a Premium Oceanview on Ambassador, but that included their top drinks package and gratuities. The P&O drinks package is not really a value proposition to us (and we both like a drink!).

To be fair, there was a small discount because we booked on board for a last minute fare, but the deals are definitely there to be had.

We found the atmosphere on board to be very good as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveH2508 said:

£100 pppd was for a Premium Oceanview on Ambassador, but that included their top drinks package and gratuities. The P&O drinks package is not really a value proposition to us (and we both like a drink!).

To be fair, there was a small discount because we booked on board for a last minute fare, but the deals are definitely there to be had.

We found the atmosphere on board to be very good as well.

Thanks. We only do balconies (unrestricted view). Will have to see how the prices compare for those. I quite fancy an included drinks package, but agree the P&O one is very poor value for money with all the restrictions. 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Just looked as Fred's website and it seems that smoking is still allowed on balconies. That's what has put me off cruising with Fred.

• Like 1

I've just booked a 6 night cruise on Ambassador for the end of this year (not Christmas/New year) at £858 for the top inside single grade (which is a double for sole use). That was with a 5% group discount. It includes gratuities and all-inclusive drinks plus free parking (which otherwise would have been in the region of £66) and £40 obc which can only be used towards a shore excursion. It is on the newer of their two second-hand ships which carries 1200 pax at normal operating capacity.

I'm quite happy with that fare for sailing solo on a smaller ship.

• Like 2