Norwegian Fjords cruise?

Sigyn

Has anyone sailed with Celebrity to the Norwegian Fjords and want to share their experience? It sounds like a pretty amazing cruise itinerary and I'm starting my research on it. Looking at this one: Celebrity Apex,12 nights, Norwegian Fjord and Arctic Circle. I'm assuming we'd miss any northern lights going in July, but that's the only time of year we could manage it in 2024. But it seems like it would still be pretty remarkable. 

• Like 2

If you want to see deep fjords, this itinerary has only one, Flam.  I looked into Celebrity but chose HAL for their ports.  I have to see Geiranger.   If you hop over to "Europe/North Baltic" ports of call, there is a poster who knows all about the stops.  Happy planning.

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Like 1

Did British Isles,Norwegian Fjords in 2008 on Connie. Amazing. The sail out of Geiranger is one of my most special travel memories, Norway is breathtakingly beautiful. 

• Like 1

Definity include Geirianger. You can also take a small boat trip from the town but make sure you are on deck for the sail in and sail out. The waterfalls might be flowing more swiftly at the beginning of the season but spotting homes in the most incongruous places is part of the adventure.

I agree with fellow cruisers. The Fjords rival Alaska to me.  Breathtaking views and amazement of how a cruise ship can sail into some of the ports.  As mentioned Flam and Geiranger are great ports.  And if the cruise goes north to Tramso, Norway you cross the Article Circle.  Amazing trip! 

On 5/9/2023 at 8:09 PM, njsmom said:

Has anyone sailed with Celebrity to the Norwegian Fjords and want to share their experience? It sounds like a pretty amazing cruise itinerary and I'm starting my research on it. Looking at this one: Celebrity Apex,12 nights, Norwegian Fjord and Arctic Circle. I'm assuming we'd miss any northern lights going in July, but that's the only time of year we could manage it in 2024. But it seems like it would still be pretty remarkable. 

If you really want to see the Fjords the 12 night Classic Roundtrip voyage on Hurtigruten - departing almost every day from Bergen - is the prefect cruise.

Travel at the right time and if the Northern Lights don't appear you will also get a free 7 night voyage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We are doing the fjords this June, but on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas. Goes to Geiringer, Honninsvag (overnight), Flam, Olden, Alesund and Molde. Should be fun spending overnight above the Arctic Circle !!! 

Would love to do and E-class but I like this itinerary.

mac_tlc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm wondering if I should do it when I could see the aurora borealis. Which means not summer. If so, I'll have to wait until at least fall 2026 when my son begins college. 

Piggybacking if I may...

Which is better between these two:

Bruges, Belgium; Flam. Geiranger, and Bergen, Norway

-or-

Stavanger, Geiranger, Flam, and Haugesund, Norway

Debating between those two itineraries for 2024. Pricing roughly the same. First one departs Southampton on my birthday. Second would be a couple of weeks before school starts back.

3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Piggybacking if I may...

-or-

Debating between those two itineraries for 2024. Pricing roughly the same. First one departs Southampton on my birthday. Second would be a couple of weeks before school starts back.

Whichever you choose you actually do very little "scenic" cruising in the Fjords.

I know the experience, accommodation and onboard entertainment etc are very different but as a comparison the Hurtigruten Classic voyage includes 34 ports in 12 days. Every port you stop at in the day going north you stop at at night going south and vv.

The ship cruises/visits 100 fjords with many hours of scenic cruising. Excursions are offered in numerous ports and you can even leave the ship at some ports do a full day coach tour before rejoining the ship further along the route.

The tours also include dog sledding, private concert in Tromso, the North Cape, etc 

We have done the cruise on Celebrity, most recently in 2022, and the Christmas/New Year on Hurtigruten . All enjoyable in their own way but for the true authentic experience Hurtigruten wins by a mile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Whichever you choose you actually do very little "scenic" cruising in the Fjords.

I know the experience, accommodation and onboard entertainment etc are very different but as a comparison the Hurtigruten Classic voyage includes 34 ports in 12 days. Every port you stop at in the day going north you stop at at night going south and vv.

The ship cruises/visits 100 fjords with many hours of scenic cruising. Excursions are offered in numerous ports and you can even leave the ship at some ports do a full day coach tour before rejoining the ship further along the route.

The tours also include dog sledding, private concert in Tromso, the North Cape, etc 

We have done the cruise on Celebrity, most recently in 2022, and the Christmas/New Year on Hurtigruten . All enjoyable in their own way but for the true authentic experience Hurtigruten wins by a mile.

Thanks for shilling a line I didn't ask about, but there's no Norway cruise that meets my time frame OR budget.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

36 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thanks for shilling a line I didn't ask about, but there's no Norway cruise that meets my time frame OR budget.

A pleasure. With regard to time each 12 day cruise can be done as "half cruises" either north bound starting  in Bergen or south bound ending in Bergen. Ship's depart almost every day. For budget just make sure you are not looking at an "expedition" departure as these are much more expensive. 

11 minutes ago, the penguins said:

A pleasure. With regard to time each 12 day cruise can be done as "half cruises" either north bound starting  in Bergen or south bound ending in Bergen. Ship's depart almost every day. For budget just make sure you are not looking at an "expedition" departure as these are much more expensive. 

I looked at whatever showed up with "search for cruises" for July and August 2024.

I looked carefully at those 2 for myself and chose the first one.  There's a thread over on the Northern Europe page where you might get more responses, but I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth here. 

I've been to Stavanger and it was fun, but the Geiranger and Flam fjords are considered much better.  And Haugesand doesn't appeal to me as much as Bruges, I guess?  With the first one you will cruise for hours down those 2 fjords. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Piggybacking if I may...

-or-

I literally booked the first option last night

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I looked at whatever showed up with "search for cruises" for July and August 2024.

I find a lot of the smaller lines don't show up using such a general search. Apart from Hurtigruten there are numerous more traditional lines featuring Norway including: Fred Olsen, P & O, and  Ambassador. 

14 minutes ago, MMMCruiser said:

I looked carefully at those 2 for myself and chose the first one.  There's a thread over on the Northern Europe page where you might get more responses, but I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth here. 

I've been to Stavanger and it was fun, but the Geiranger and Flam fjords are considered much better.  And Haugesand doesn't appeal to me as much as Bruges, I guess?  With the first one you will cruise for hours down those 2 fjords. 

Hope this helps.

10 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I literally booked the first option last night

Thanks! Given embarkation day would be my birthday I have been leaning towards that one. It may come down to which - if any - have solo staterooms left when I'm on the Summit in July (over my birthday).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I find a lot of the smaller lines don't show up using such a general search. Apart from Hurtigruten there are numerous more traditional lines featuring Norway including: Fred Olsen, P & O, and  Ambassador. 

I meant "search for cruises" ON the Hurtigruten site. Being solo complicates things with the price - that's why the 2 Apex itineraries are ideal since they have solo staterooms with IV (which I love).

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thanks! Given embarkation day would be my birthday I have been leaning towards that one. It may come down to which - if any - have solo staterooms left when I'm on the Summit in July (over my birthday).

I get that, when I was looking I had two options but one meant I would spend my birthday in an airport/on a plane so I picked a July date instead of August. I mean on a cruise for my birthday I would be ok with but not in an airport 🤣

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I get that, when I was looking I had two options but one meant I would spend my birthday in an airport/on a plane so I picked a July date instead of August. I mean on a cruise for my birthday I would be ok with but not in an airport 🤣

Having a trip over my birthday makes it a lot easier to turn down administration when they start begging for people to work summer school too. 🤣 "So sorry! I have a non-refundable trip planned over my birthday" somehow comes off better than "No, I need a mental break."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1