Excursions Uniworld Castles along the Rhine

PNFL

Well my river cruise is now right around the corner and I am trying to plan my excursions.  We are on the sailing that leaves Basel on June 10th. For anyone who has been on this cruise do you have any info and thoughts on the optional excursions?      Day 3 we are in Kehl (Strasbourg) and trying to decide between doing the included walking tour or spend the extra money and take the optional Black Forest tour.  Day 4 we are in Mannheim (Speyer) and I am torn between the Vinegar estate tour because it has gotten great reviews on this site or do I spend the extra money and do the optional Heidelberg.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  

I thought the vinegar estate was fun, but if you've never been to Heidelberg, it's well worth visiting.  How much is Uniworld charging for it?  That would help me decide. 🤑  I would do the Strasbourg walking tour if you've never been to Strasbourg.  I've not been overly impressed with the Black Forest when I've visited.

Thanks.  I am definitely going to sign up for Heidelberg.  It will be a long day since you do an included tour in the am and then Heidelberg in the pm.

Not about Uniworld, but my reading of the Black Forest excursion on many cruise lines is that people are often disappointed.  Except those who planned to buy a Cuckoo Clock.  Otherwise: long bus ride, overly touristy clock store, meh cake.

Strasbourg is quite nice, especially the Petite France area.  Try to be inside the Cathedral for the 12:30 pm performance of the Astronomical Clock, and have tarte flambée [or Flammkuchen in Alsatian] for lunch or a snack.

Does your Strasbourg tour not include the canal boat tour?  I think that would be a highlight (except that when we did it, the sun was so strong that I thought we would melt into the seats on the open boat!)

I would also do the Heidelberg tour.  We docked in Speyer and it was a long bus ride – Mannheim should be closer.  We started with a tour of the castle [very large and it gives you an idea of what was going on in all those other castles you will pass], and then walked through the old town before setting off on our own to visit the Church of the Holy Ghost (Lutheran) and the Jesuit Church (Catholic).  Both were impressive in different ways.  You should have plenty of time in Heidelberg, as we did all that and still had time to DIY Speyer after we got back from another long bus ride.  [I also recall visiting some student drinking halls on my first visit to Heidelberg – as a student – but those don't seem to feature in the river cruise excursions!  OR maybe I just remember watching The Student Prince...]

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not about Uniworld, but my reading of the Black Forest excursion on many cruise lines is that people are often disappointed.  Except those who planned to buy a Cuckoo Clock.  Otherwise: long bus ride, overly touristy clock store, meh cake.

Strasbourg is quite nice, especially the Petite France area.  Try to be inside the Cathedral for the 12:30 pm performance of the Astronomical Clock, and have tarte flambée [or Flammkuchen in Alsatian] for lunch or a snack.

Does your Strasbourg tour not include the canal boat tour?  I think that would be a highlight (except that when we did it, the sun was so strong that I thought we would melt into the seats on the open boat!)

I would also do the Heidelberg tour.  We docked in Speyer and it was a long bus ride – Mannheim should be closer.  We started with a tour of the castle [very large and it gives you an idea of what was going on in all those other castles you will pass], and then walked through the old town before setting off on our own to visit the Church of the Holy Ghost (Lutheran) and the Jesuit Church (Catholic).  Both were impressive in different ways.  You should have plenty of time in Heidelberg, as we did all that and still had time to DIY Speyer after we got back from another long bus ride.  [I also recall visiting some student drinking halls on my first visit to Heidelberg – as a student – but those don't seem to feature in the river cruise excursions!  OR maybe I just remember watching The Student Prince...]

Thanks for that information.  No the tour does not include a canal tour so that is something we might do.  Right now I think I will skip the black forest  but will  do Heidelberg. The included excursion though Uniworld sounds like just a walking tour. This is the description of the tour 

STRASBOURG PANORAMIC TOUR WITH CATHEDRAL AND OLD TOWN WALK

Controlled over the centuries by either France or Germany, Strasbourg is both cross-cultural and bilingual. Old and new, French and German all blend together in this wonderful city, which is also considered the legislative and democratic capital of the European Union. Get a glimpse of Strasbourg's grand political role as we drive by the European Parliament and the Council of Europe, where the European Court of Human Rights sits. Then get a feel for the cultural side of the city on a walking tour through its enchanting streets.

We done both tours in October 2022. The Vinegar tasting was great and was included. It's so different than what you might imagine. Google 'Vinegar tour Germany".  Heidlelberg was just like any other old town. Actually, not as good as many others. Too much money $75pp for a long bus ride, too much castle tour time, and not enough free time. Of course that is just my opinion, along with others on the tours. Regardless, you will enjoy your sailing.

• Like 1