NCL Prima passenger fined for cocaine possesion

Charles4515

Well that turned into an expensive cruise.  Maybe the Rich Little Piggies slot (my recent fav) will help her re-coup her fine.  On a lighter note.  At 62… did she “forget” to do a nose-check…or did she still have the $100 bill in a roll?  Happy for her it wasn’t in an Asian country.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ellipooh said:

They found it inside her cabin? After she disembarked?

😣

She needed a better lawyer…

She needed better sense than to bring cocaine into a foreign country. She was in Bermuda. Their rules, their laws. I would guess you could get a lawyer but you would probably be stuck in Bermuda for a while.A lawyer and accomodations would be expensive. Most passengers caught with drugs probably pay the fine to be done with it.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 4

Just now, laudergayle said:

I am curious if NCL is also fined in some way for bringing a passenger with illegal drugs.

I doubt it. Usually someone from the ship tips off the authorities. They do have sniifer dogs though so a dog might have sniffed something in her bag so then they checked her cabin. 

It wouldn't surprise me if NCL did get a fine for bringing it in, and it would surprise me even less if they passed that right along to the person, along with notifying US CBP that she boarded with drugs.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes. 

Bermuda doesn't play around. On cruise boards on Reddit, so many people ask if they can bring marijuana on the ship. Because it's a multi day stop most itineraries, Bermuda officials can and do bring drug dogs on board and will prosecute. Do many people bring it on and not get caught? Sure. But why take that chance? 

There were drug dogs on ship during our stop at NCL Harvest Caye this last February.

I asked on shore if I could buy an old Belize license plate.  (something I like to do at other countries) The vendor says they are very hard to get, Belize says you have to turn them in when they expire.  Drug runners from other countries like to use them to evade local stops.

Pre-Covid, as I recall, NCL put out a stiff warning on the Freestyle Dailies, alerting - informing - advising passengers on their cruise ship(s) bound for Bermuda that bringing anything illegal, including drugs, can have serious & personal consequences, including fines & arrests ... that trained dogs will board the ship and conduct searches, random searches & profiling of all passengers exiting into the building at the cruise terminal / wharfs at Dockyard.  

P.S.  I've personally seen canine unit coming onboard the ship with their handler, not to horse around but to - apparently - conduct searches.  

Edited by mking8288

On 5/12/2023 at 6:16 PM, Charles4515 said:

Bag searched getting off in Bermuda by Bermuda security. Then they searched her cabin and found cocaine. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/court/news/article/20230512/cruise-ship-passenger-fined-for-cocaine-possession/

2,500 is a TINY fine for such a violation.  I would not be surprised if that is a typo and the fine was actually 25,000.

On 5/12/2023 at 7:15 PM, Ellipooh said:

They found it inside her cabin? After she disembarked?

😣

She needed a better lawyer…

She was not disembarking the cruise at the final port, she was going ashore at the port stop.

For those not familiar for cruise procedures in Bermuda, security checks can be made as you leave the ship (drugs and food are checked for).

Drug dogs routinely  search the ships in Bermuda for any illegal substance bought on board by passengers (and probably crew).

This has been the routine for as long as I have cruised to Bermuda (first time in 1986).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

She was not disembarking the cruise at the final port, she was going ashore at the port stop.

There is only one port stop on the itinerary. And if she was detained, then she was disembarked from the cruise. 

3 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

2,500 is a TINY fine for such a violation.  I would not be surprised if that is a typo and the fine was actually 25,000.

I don't think 2,500 is tiny. I must be broke. Makes me wonder if they will face further consequences in the US.

1 hour ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I don't think 2,500 is tiny. I must be broke. Makes me wonder if they will face further consequences in the US.

NCL may ban her or something but it's incredibly unlikely she'd face legal problems here (US) given the crime didn't happen here.

19 minutes ago, macewank said:

NCL may ban her or something but it's incredibly unlikely she'd face legal problems here (US) given the crime didn't happen here.

I would think that she could face drug charges in the US-- she board the ship in New York City with the drugs in her posession.  Bringing drugs on board a cruise ship is illegal.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

I would think that she could face drug charges in the US-- she board the ship in New York City with the drugs in her posession.  Bringing drugs on board a cruise ship is illegal.

I would think it's not worth the US time and effort.  They would have to prove she brought it on board.  She could always say she got it from someone on board.  At least that's what her lawyer would probably argue.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jimsig said:

I would think it's not worth the US time and effort.  They would have to prove she brought it on board.  She could always say she got it from someone on board.  At least that's what her lawyer would probably argue.  

Yeah.  That's funny.  So NYC is going to go after somebody who took drugs OUT OF NYC?  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Would be incredibly difficult for law enforcement to prove that unless she outright admitted it, and even then, would it be worth their time?

could any one human be any dumber? she's lucky she's not sitting in some foreign jail as this is being written. it wouldnt be that hard to prove "possession" if the coke was found in her cabin.

she's also lucky she wasnt kicked off the ship.

ncl doesnt even allow medical marijauna to be brought on board.  maybe she just should have told them she thought it was talcum powder left by the previous passenger.

• Like 1