Icon too tall for Bayone

8 minutes ago, turtle1947 said:

I heard from a crew mwember on our recent Anthem trip that Icon of the Seas would not be based in Bayone because it is too tall to fit under the Verrazano bridge. Has anyone heard anything similiar?

It is scheduled to sail from Miami.  Never been suggested that it would sail from Bayonne

• Like 1

Unknown.  Air draft is not a precise number and not yet published for Icon.

However both Oasis and Allure were built in Turku, Finland and had to pass under the Great Belt bridge and so will Icon, also built in Turku, Finland.  A large ship can't get to the open ocean from Turku without passing under the Great Belt bridge.

In the video below Oasis is stated to have an air draft of 72m versus the Great Belt bridge clearance at 65m.  So how did Oasis make it under the bridge?  Watch the video.  

Allure:

The Verrazano Narrows bridge in the New York area is said to have around 69m of clearance.

Ultimately only Royal and the shipyard in Turku knows the answer to this question.  But if Oasis and Allure can clear a 65m bridge...

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3

Do we know how much taller the Icon will be than any other ship?  Remember that this area is tidal.  Back in the day, the QE2 had to take the tides into consideration when scheduling when she could sail under the Verrazano Bridge.  She drew roughly 32 feet - same as the Icon, but how much above freeboard is the Icon over the QE2?

• Like 1

A bigger issue I think is can the port handle an icon class ship? As is with 3 ships sailing, parking can be rough with overflow lots and lack of garage parking

Traffic is another big issue with getting to the port. It took me about 45 minutes of sitting in traffic on the the one and only one road to the terminal

Edited by shof515

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

Traffic is another big issue with getting to the port. It took me about 45 minutes of sitting in traffic on the the one and only one road to the terminal

It is a 1 lane road leading to the port that increases to 2 lanes when the terminal comes within sight & yes there will be a backup of vehicles for those arriving after 10:30 am. Never have I encountered traffic when arriving before 10:30 am. Once I arrived at 12;30 and breezed into the garage but I attribute that to the enforcement of ship boarding times, which no longer is being enforced at Cape Liberty.

4 hours ago, meadowlander said:

It is a 1 lane road leading to the port that increases to 2 lanes when the terminal comes within sight & yes there will be a backup of vehicles for those arriving after 10:30 am. Never have I encountered traffic when arriving before 10:30 am. Once I arrived at 12;30 and breezed into the garage but I attribute that to the enforcement of ship boarding times, which no longer is being enforced at Cape Liberty.

5 hours ago, shof515 said:

A bigger issue I think is can the port handle an icon class ship? As is with 3 ships sailing, parking can be rough with overflow lots and lack of garage parking

You must have had a bad day, they do occur. But two weeks ago, our wait was less than 5 minutes. I cruise from Bayonne six to eight times a year. My average wait is 10-15 minutes, and that's not an issue for me

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shof515 said:

Icon passenger load is about the same as Oasis and Bayonne has figured out how to deal with her, most of the time.

32 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Icon passenger load is about the same as Oasis and Bayonne has figured out how to deal with her, most of the time.

Sailed on Ossis out of Bayonne and never had an issue with traffic or the ship clearing the Verrazano bridge. Also, the Iasis had the Abyss slide which I think it’s the highest point other than the funnels. 

The disembarking process is even faster. 

• Like 1