Carnival booking a cruise

beshears

You may see me posting more than one question in a couple cruise sights, and I have another question here.

Within the past year when booking a Carnival cruise, did you use an agent that you knew, booked it on line, or called and got a personal Carnival agent?

2 hours ago, beshears said:

You may see me posting more than one question in a couple cruise sights, and I have another question here.

Ask away!

2 hours ago, beshears said:

Within the past year when booking a Carnival cruise, did you use an agent that you knew, booked it on line, or called and got a personal Carnival agent?

I booked online but you should call a Carnival PVP. It was too late for me to book through her but she said that if you book through them, they can lower the price if there is a discount

Edited by CarnivalShips480

I used to have a GREAT PVP that was invaluable, then he got promoted.  Before him I always booked myself (10 years or so).  Took me about 6 months to find another pretty good PVP, during that time I called the Diamond desk to book.

I think PVP's are invaluable when ever you have a problem, that is why I book with them.  I can do it myself, but when something does go wrong, I have to change stuff, want a price adjustment or have a problem a good PVP is worth their weight in gold.  And it wouldn't be right to expect a good PVP to help me if I didn't book it with them so they got the credit too.

• Like 1

I have always used a PVP but sure could do myself.  When Covid happened and I had 5 cruises cancel, my PVP got everything moved and credited really quickly while I was seeing folks talk about being on hold for hours.

• Like 2

Thank you EVERYONE for your replies to my question. I have used a TA here in KC where I live and have not had a problem, and then a few years ago I had a PVP with Carnival, and she was very good, and I believe in the long run, she was a little cheaper than the TA. I know the TA here in KC is good, but they do charge $35 per person's booking.

I did received an email from someone that may have seen my name when I posted, and that is how they got my email address. I think they were a PCVP as well. I did note that on their email there as a "highlighted" area that said, Caution: This email originated from outside of the organization.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to find someone I can trust, and STILL save money too.

I've booked all our cruises online myself.  I've called Carnival if I see any prices have changed close to when I booked and they've been good about giving me that price or OBC.   No PVP. 

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Thank you EVERYONE for your replies to my question. I have used a TA here in KC where I live and have not had a problem, and then a few years ago I had a PVP with Carnival, and she was very good, and I believe in the long run, she was a little cheaper than the TA. I know the TA here in KC is good, but they do charge $35 per person's booking.

I did received an email from someone that may have seen my name when I posted, and that is how they got my email address. I think they were a PCVP as well. I did note that on their email there as a "highlighted" area that said, Caution: This email originated from outside of the organization.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to find someone I can trust, and STILL save money too.

Is the reason the TA was more because of the $35 booking fee? That’s the only reason I can figure. TA would be more money.

what exactly is a PCVP?

I would never book a cruise through an agency that charges a fee.  We sometimes book certain cruise lines directly and then transfer it to a TA so we get a discount or OBC.  With Carnival I book it directly with a TA I've used for years that has great pricing so I get a good discount and of course I pay for everything with gift cards obtained at a 10% discount so that just adds to the bottom line savings.

• Like 1

I book my own cruises, but I like doing so. But, as others have said, I would not pay someone to do it. If I’m going to book with someone, I would ask around for recommendations on a good PVP with carnival. I don’t believe those recommendations are allowed here. But, I do know if you book with a travel agent, you would not be able to call and have changes made. Only your travel agent can. So consider that when you book. 

I used to use my PVP exclusively with great success. However it was when we could put a hold on a cabin, she could complete the booking and get credit for it. I have been booking online myself for the last few cruises now. I am upset that Carnival took the revenue stream from their PVP’s. 

I would never pay a booking fee to a TA. If the commission they receive from the cruise line isn't sufficient then they need to be in a different line of work.

In fact my TA has always been able to give me the exact same price as what I could get booking direct from Carnival or any other cruise line. That is why I use them, it's the same person on the other end of the line whether I'm booking a Carnival cruise, a week at Disney World, or an all inclusive.

Edited by mz-s

20 hours ago, beshears said:

We have had the same PVP with Carnival since the early 2000's.

I will say in regard to some of your comments of NOT paying a fee to the TA I have had for several years, I do agree. When I started out with the company they were NOT charging a fee for each person they were booking, but some way or another they are doing that now.

I DID take the plunge and called Carnival about getting PVP, and spoke to her, and got the information I need at this point (still have to check with the other 7 as well), so when we're ready, I can call her directly.

So we book about 80% of our Carnival cruises via our PVP. The other 20% is when our TA has some extraordinary offer available for us that Carnival can't come close to touching.