best cruise line for Alaska

BAMCPM

Has anyone done cruised Alaska multiple times using different cruise lines/brands? Can you please tell me the pros and cons of each line; both ship itself as well as at port. Thank you!

Incredibly broad question. And subjective,  because  "best" to you might be worlds apart from what is "best" to me.

If you have sailed on any cruise line, anywhere, that product will be very similar to their product in Alaska. So if you have a favorite cruise line, you will probably like them in Alaska. 

But there are some idiosyncrasies in Alaska. If you do some reading around the board, you will see some key points, like routes, visits to Glacier Bay, etc.

• Like 1

thank you. what would I plug in for key words to find the idiosyncrasies? I have Never cruised. After 30 plus hours of research I had found out that only 3 lines goes to glacier bay (princess, HA, NCL) but that's the only details I know about the actual differences between lines in Alaska. Would you mind sharing more please? Does one get you closer to ports and therefore you're off the boat and on with your day faster than another? etc etc?

5 minutes ago, BAMCPM said:

thank you. what would I plug in for key words to find the idiosyncrasies? I have Never cruised. After 30 plus hours of research I had found out that only 3 lines goes to glacier bay (princess, HA, NCL) but that's the only details I know about the actual differences between lines in Alaska. Would you mind sharing more please? Does one get you closer to ports and therefore you're off the boat and on with your day faster than another? etc etc?

You are correct on Glacier Bay...3 cruise lines have most, but not all, access to Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is commonly described as a very desirable destination. Your hours of research HAVE given you some foundation to work on.

Time in ports is a key point. No, one cruise doesn't get the best docks. It varies by port, cruise line and time in port.

If this is your first cruise, finding a travel agent that can work with you to find your "best" is a good idea. Conversely, as you haven't cruised, I would be thinking you will be at least pretty satisfied with most any introduction to cruising. We don't know your demographic, budget, or anything else about you that goes into determining your "best".

• Like 3

Thank you. For me, best is; cleanest/newest ship with stuff for my kids. Good customer service on ship. A brand that has their act together who get us on and off the boat in a non chaotic manner. 🙂

35 minutes ago, BAMCPM said:

Thank you. For me, best is; cleanest/newest ship with stuff for my kids. Good customer service on ship. A brand that has their act together who get us on and off the boat in a non chaotic manner. 🙂

The "best" for kids stuff is Disney...but you will pay Disney prices. May or may not work for you.

It sounds like most of the main stream lines...Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean...would be a good place to start. They are more alike than different. Although Royal Caribbean doesn't have Glacier Bay access, and Carnival has limited.

On every cruise I have been on, there is a rush to get off the ship when first arriving at a port. Its human nature.

• Like 2

Just my opinion, best for kids would be the NCL Encore.  It does Glacier Bay, has plenty of things for kids (go carts, laser tag, VR center) along with the clubs.  The ship itself was designed for Alaskan cruising with a great observation lounge.  The only drawback is the size of the ship, 4000 passengers.  IMO, Glacier Bay is a must see for first time cruisers to Alaska.  In Glacier Bay you will cruise passed 6 or 7 glaciers.

Holland and Princess ships are great for adults in Alaska but for kids, not so much.  Those ships don't even have water slides.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Holland and Princess ships are great for adults in Alaska but for kids, not so much.  Those ships don't even have water slides.

They don't even have water slides? OMG, what is this world coming to? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

They don't even have water slides? OMG, what is this world coming to? 

Kids are supposed to have water slides?  Damn!  I made my kids go to the lectures and museums and write a five-page essay on the changing scale of economics in the Alaska gold rushes. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

No cruise line will be perfect at ports

That is the luck of the draw on the day and with the conditions of the day- and also where the ports schedule each ship

So I would not make that a criteria

You absolutely can make time in port a priority

All cruise lines have kids clubs and activities

Choose the itinerary you want first then choose the cruise line you want second

49 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Kids are supposed to have water slides?  Damn!  I made my kids go to the lectures and museums and write a five-page essay on the changing scale of economics in the Alaska gold rushes. 

Yes, kids should have water slides and video arcades.  I would never curse my kid to a cruise with mostly old people which is pretty much what Holland and Princess cruises are.  

On my last cruise there were so many old people that instead of a doctor in the medical center they had an archeologist.  😂

Edited by Oakman58
  • Haha 2

On 5/17/2023 at 4:53 AM, BAMCPM said:

cleanest/newest ship with stuff for my kids. Good customer service on ship. A brand that has their act together who get us on and off the boat in a non chaotic manner

To clarify, how old are the kids?  My vote...

• Disney if you can afford it for those under 13
  • Princess for more mature families as they have good kids clubs.  Royal, Majestic, Discovery ships are their newer ships.  Look closely at their routes around Vancouver Island.
  • Older kids are going to like the NCL Encore with their go-karts and Glacier Bay

Seattle sailings will be less chaotic with the larger cruise terminals compared to Vancouver.  But Vancouver sailings offer a lot more bonus port activities and you sail the calm scenic waters of the South Inside Passage (vs Seattle's Graveyard of the Pacific).

Edited by xlxo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 4:31 AM, BAMCPM said:

Not complete.  This is the list from the NPS site.  DON

"Cruise Lines

Viking

Cunard

Holland America Line

Norwegian Cruise Lines

Princess Cruise Lines

Seabourn Cruise Line Limited" 

On 5/17/2023 at 4:53 AM, BAMCPM said:

I would focus on ports, glaciers and time in ports. Some of the newest ships with the coolest things spend the least amount of time in Alaska and doesn't have long port time in Alaska.

If you are going to Alaska - you should probably try to see it.

I have done many Alaska cruises with a variety of different itineraries. I really enjoy NCL, however I would never recommend them if you have not done an Alaska cruise before or even a few times under your belt. NCL charges the most for port fees yet their docks are the furthest away. Also they have the shortest port times. Usually you will have to choose between doing an excursion or going into town. Not being able to do both. Holland America is fine for Alaska. May be bored on the ships. I think Princess is most likely to suit most folks for their first Alaska cruise. Longer port times, closest docks in town, naturlist onboard during Glacier Bay day, and decent food. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cruise line not specific, but to me, the size of the ship might make a difference.  The smaller ships to Alaska may go closer to the glaciers/ inlets.  All should have some sort of ranger/guide on board to describe what you’re seeing.  Ports may vary, but cruises usually include the main/ bigger towns, as well as smaller ones…all ports will give you an Alaska experience.  A pricey cruise, so go to experience this beautiful state and its stories.  In my opinion, it’s a great experience for all.  I would like kids to see, listen and learn!  They can have a theme park experience anytime!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

We have done Princess and Holland. We leave this weekend on Cunard.

So far.... No real difference in cruise lines. The weather on the other hand completely different. Both previous cruises were second week of September. The first one was warm the second cold and rainy. 

Let's see was happens next week!!

On 5/18/2023 at 12:47 PM, donaldsc said:

Not complete.  This is the list from the NPS site.  DON

"Cruise Lines

Viking

Cunard

Holland America Line

Norwegian Cruise Lines

Princess Cruise Lines

Seabourn Cruise Line Limited" 

NB - Viking doesn’t do kids.

13 hours ago, Ofmyheart said:

We have done Princess and Holland. We leave this weekend on Cunard.

So far.... No real difference in cruise lines. The weather on the other hand completely different. Both previous cruises were second week of September. The first one was warm the second cold and rainy. 

Let's see was happens next week!!

The best Naturalist is on Cunard. She is amazing - Rachel Cartwright. Definitely go to her sessions.

I have cruised to Alaska on Holland America (HAL) and NCL. Next month will be cruising to Alaska on Cunard.

If I were cruising to Alaska with children I would most likely choose NCL. HAL, in my opinion, would be boring for kids. Princess might be okay, but they are my least favorite line in general. 

My children enjoyed the activities on board more than the ports in Alaska and we did fun stuff in ports, like kayaking. They loved hanging out with other kids on board and of course the food. 

On 5/17/2023 at 12:01 PM, Oakman58 said:

Yes, kids should have water slides and video arcades.  I would never curse my kid to a cruise with mostly old people which is pretty much what Holland and Princess cruises are.  

On my last cruise there were so many old people that instead of a doctor in the medical center they had an archeologist.  😂

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your comment.  All my kids are adults, so, maybe, I do need the archeologist on board.  🤣