Security needs to monitor the foul language

BETSY DOLL

49 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I'm a Georgia Girl, too!  The worse thing my mother every said was damn.  My father wasn't much of a cusser, either.  That is how I was raised.

I think it iss a generational thing.  I certainly never heard anyone from my parents generation use the F bomb.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, icft said:

Apparently.

Actually no.  I had issue with how the line handles it, was very specific on agreeing on the nature of the foul language.  WAY different topic.  Glad we cleared that up   Apparently, anyways.

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I agree that it was classless and crude, there is a lot in our world today that is just that.  Now, in term of enforcement, what would you have them do?  Where is that line drawn on t-shirts and who decides where that line SHOULD be...

Sounds like questioning which side of the line the t-shirt with the "F" word is on; questioning if Carnival should consider it on the wrong side of their line making profanity against the rules.

Sounds like "I may think it classless and crude but should Carnival consider it profanity and enforce the rules against profanity?"

In terms of enforcement what would I have them do? I would have them unquestionably consider it profanity and enforce the rules. No question in my mind the "F" word is profanity.

There actually is a time and place for profanity but Carnival entices families saying profanity is not allowed, their children will not be exposed to that and Carnival is not the time and place for that. They have an obligation to enforce the rules.

13 minutes ago, icft said:

Sounds like questioning which side of the line the t-shirt with the "F" word is on; questioning if Carnival should consider it on the wrong side of their line making profanity against the rules.

Sounds like "I may think it classless and crude but should Carnival consider it profanity and enforce the rules against profanity?"

In terms of enforcement what would I have them do? I would have them unquestionably consider it profanity and enforce the rules. No question in my mind the "F" word is profanity.

There actually is a time and place for profanity but Carnival entices families saying profanity is not allowed, their children will not be exposed to that and Carnival is not the time and place for that. They have an obligation to enforce the rules.

OK, I agree, especially in a family environment.  SOOO, what would that enforcement be?  What if it were a different word, like ship with a different ending (so we keep this within the boundaries here), what then?  Is that ok?  Or something else, who or whom decides the words that are or not OK?  Is it just the one of George Carlins 7 dirty words, or something else?  We can take the hypothetical earlier version and say someone from staff steps in and says it is now allowed, we are all good with that, the next day the same offender has ahd a few and spouts it out again.  Do they throw him in the brig?  Put him off at the next port?  Throw him overboard?  Ban him for life?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

OK, I agree, especially in a family environment.  SOOO, what would that enforcement be?  What if it were a different word, like ship with a different ending (so we keep this within the boundaries here), what then?  Is that ok?  Or something else, who or whom decides the words that are or not OK?  Is it just the one of George Carlins 7 dirty words, or something else?  We can take the hypothetical earlier version and say someone from staff steps in and says it is now allowed, we are all good with that, the next day the same offender has ahd a few and spouts it out again.  Do they throw him in the brig?  Put him off at the next port?  Throw him overboard?  Ban him for life?

When you get to other words things do get less clear. It becomes a question of what environment Carnival wants and is a "my house, my rules" situation. But it is a moot point since Carnival, in my opinion, does not enforce its rules and doesn't care unless there is blood or broken bones and even then only after the fact. (My wife was assaulted on our last Carnival Cruise but there was no blood and no broken bones so it appeared to us there was no problem as far as Carnival was concerned.) We're in our late 60s and desire a bit better treatment than "as long as you aren't bleeding and don't have any broken bones we've done our job" so we are moving on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Nothing is black or white, all is shades of gray.  We agree on the shirt, from there it leads who knows where. Not easy at all, either enforcement or decisions of what is acceptable or not in whomevers eyes.  Just like most things in life.

I think we agree a whole lot more than we disagree on this topic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, icft said:

When you get to other words things do get less clear. It becomes a question of what environment Carnival wants and is a "my house, my rules" situation. But it is a moot point since Carnival, in my opinion, does not enforce its rules and doesn't care unless there is blood or broken bones and even then only after the fact. (My wife was assaulted on our last Carnival Cruise but there was no blood and no broken bones so it appeared to us there was no problem as far as Carnival was concerned.) We're in our late 60s and desire a bit better treatment than "as long as you aren't bleeding and don't have any broken bones we've done our job" so we are moving on.

Everybody makes choices, not sure what age has to do with it, but we all make decisions.  I am almost 68, we cruise more Carnival (way more) but other lines as well.  Happy cruising.  I will let you know when the broken bones and bleeding start.

On 5/17/2023 at 6:46 AM, Hoosierpop said:

I’m guessing another cruise line might be better for you. There is zero Carnival is going to do about language. 

I don't think I'd travel at all if someone else's language bothered me... I just ignore them if its an issue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

There's an awful lot of Grey in the law. That's why lawyers have jobs.

And also there are also cases that go to higher courts, and though a decision is made, it is rarely unanimous.

• Like 2

Oh my goodness this is not the US Tax Code or The People vs. OJ Simpson this is a two-sentence rule on Carnival's website about not allowing profanity on a shirt. This is a website that Carnival designed, rules Carnival wrote, on ships Carnival operates, with crew Carnival hires, with guests Carnival allows. It's not that deep, people. Just admit Carnival sucks at enforcing the rules they wrote.

"Carnival doesn't enforce their rules, that's why they're seen as the Dollar General of the industry"

"Well ackshually, did you know the US Tax code is 5500 pages long and my uncle is a tax lawyer and rules are actually really hard to enforce?"

"Dude it's the F word on a tank top, pretty cut and dry"

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I was just on the magic and my suite was over the deck 5 hot tub.

Most times  I went out on my deck I heard terrible language. I mean the foulest language.

I paid a pretty penny to have that deck and view. I had envisioned in my head how great it was going to be.

Then I was quickly shown that I had a choice to make. Sit out there and hear the barrage of language or go inside and not use my deck.

That was a choice I never expected to make. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

Most times  I went out on my deck I heard terrible language. I mean the foulest language.

I paid a pretty penny to have that deck and view. I had envisioned in my head how great it was going to be.

Then I was quickly shown that I had a choice to make. Sit out there and hear the barrage of language or go inside and not use my deck.

I'll say something that a lot of Carnival apologists are unwilling to say, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Carnival should do a better job of ensuring a family-friendly, fun atmosphere on their ships. It is ruining their reputation with the general public.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I'll say something that a lot of Carnival apologists are unwilling to say, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Carnival should do a better job of ensuring a family-friendly, fun atmosphere on their ships. It is ruining their reputation with the general public.

Thanks and i Agree. Luckily for me I had wall to wall full windows and I had amazing views while sitting on my bed. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

Thanks and i Agree. Luckily for me I had wall to wall full windows and I had amazing views while sitting on my bed. 

Did you find that you got a lot of noise in your room or did the windows do a good job of blocking noise?

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

Did you find that you got a lot of noise in your room or did the windows do a good job of blocking noise?

Couldn't hear a thing with deck door closed. You could here a pin drop. 

Sleeping at night was great. Occasionally we heard loud people walking the hall but not much else..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csoud68 said:

Couldn't hear a thing with deck door closed. You could here a pin drop. 

Sleeping at night was great. Occasionally we heard loud people walking the hall but not much else..

Sorry that happened. Did you complain to Guest Services?  Just curious if they would have done anything.  Probably not😞

47 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Sorry that happened. Did you complain to Guest Services?  Just curious if they would have done anything.  Probably not😞

No; didn't even try. 

11 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I would be so mad because I love hanging out on my balcony. My DH wouldn't let me but I would want to throw ice cubes at them.  Grrrr....

You and I totally need to be friends! I would join you in the ice cube throwing. My son and I are devising a plan of how he can surreptitiously shoot the loud, crude, offensive language filled adult men who play basketball across the street at a public park (with a playground for little kids) with his airsoft gun. 

14 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I would be so mad because I love hanging out on my balcony. My DH wouldn't let me but I would want to throw ice cubes at them.  Grrrr....

Not gonna lie I thought of zinging a golf ball down there.

Problem is, I didn't have any golf balls and I wouldn't have anyway🤣

Edited by csoud68

3 hours ago, csoud68 said:

That’s really disappointing. I’m over all the trashy behavior. I’m sorry you weren’t able to enjoy your balcony. 

• Like 1

I think there are some really big generational differences on the cursing thing. Most people under 40 do not think anything of hearing curse words--SNS.  I am not saying they go around cursing in front of their parents, but they aren't going to leave their balcony because they are soooo offended by it or let it actually affect the enjoyment of their cruise. 

Let me give you an example.  One time, this 14 year old (shouldn't even legally have been on a motorcycle) was riding his crotch rocket up and down the street at my lake house.  He was going as fast as he could and almost hit my child who had been riding his tricycle in the road.  (My house is at a dead end behind a gate and it is a private/gated road and normally there is no one on the road but us so that's why my child was in the road.  The gate was closed but the motorcyclist had ridden around it.) He almost hit and killed my child and probably would have killed himself as well. I let out a 4 letter word when I saw it happen. I recognized him as the grandson of one of the couples down the road and went to ask her to to tell her grandson (who was too young to even legally ride a motorcycle) to avoid speeding his motorcycle down our private road.  The kid had beaten me home and told his grandmother that I had cursed in front of him. (Of course, this was upon seeing him nearly kill my toddler--a completely appropriate time to curse!)  The grandmother meets me ranting and raving about me cursing in front of her grandchild.  Didn't care that he had almost killed MY toddler. Didn't care he had almost killed himself.  Didn't care that he was trespassing. Didn't care that he was driving illegally without a license. Didn't care that he was driving dangerously.  All of this was overruled by me saying a curse word.

That's what this thread reminds me of.  I agree people shouldn't be wearing shirts with 4 letter words on them, but no one EVER DIED FROM HEARING SOMEONE DROP AN F BOMB. It.is.just.a.word.  If hearing a curse word (especially if it isn't even aimed AT you!) ruins your vacation or keeps you from sitting on your balcony, that's on you.    

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 5/20/2023 at 12:51 PM, jimbo5544 said:

I think it iss a generational thing.  I certainly never heard anyone from my parents generation use the F bomb.

I learned to swear in 1971. From the neighbor kids. In Canada.

• Haha 1