What do you hope will be done to our beloved QM2 in the 2023 refurbishment?

Liberal_Baggie

I am very much looking forward to traveling on QM2 15th Dec- 3rd Jan over the Christmas and new years holidays. She is due in November for a refurbishment. What do you hope to see improved? The last lot of major improvements 2016 came with the costs paid for by extra cabins and dog kennels. Can they get any more cabins on board? Can they convert any to more Grills cabins? 

I hope to see the Spa pool and facilities upgraded. I would like the old bookshop back or a better choice of interesting things to buy less tack and rubbish please. The grills lounge is a dead loss what about a bright lights society instead for the QM2 ? What about a decent outside dining venue on the top of the ship?

What about some paid for music lessons on board? or Language schools?

24 minutes ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

I am very much looking forward to traveling on QM2 15th Dec- 3rd Jan over the Christmas and new years holidays. She is due in November for a refurbishment. What do you hope to see improved? The last lot of major improvements 2016 came with the costs paid for by extra cabins and dog kennels. Can they get any more cabins on board? Can they convert any to more Grills cabins? 

I hope to see the Spa pool and facilities upgraded. I would like the old bookshop back or a better choice of interesting things to buy less tack and rubbish please. The grills lounge is a dead loss what about a bright lights society instead for the QM2 ? What about a decent outside dining venue on the top of the ship?

What about some paid for music lessons on board? or Language schools?

A huge upgrade to the selection of spirits offered to Grill guests.  With a decent Cognac and an Armagnac.  The cost would be small but the acceptance would be great.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

23 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

My needs are simple: I NEED them to replace the nasty, clingy shower curtains in the rowers’ quarters with doors before we board again a few weeks after refurbishment.

Glass Doors like on Deck 13 cabins in the showers

Edited by BklynBoy8

Obviously fix the broken chairs in Illuminations.

What I would love is if they could rip out the theatre and start again - so many bad or restricted view seats - it is the worst theatre at sea of the 10 ships that I have sailed on. If they could just fix the balcony glass seats and move the stage back a bit it would fix half the viewing issues.

I guess that they could squeeze in extra cabins to increase a bit more revenue by removing the boardwalk cafe which hardly ever opens but that would only be 1 or 2 more at a push so would not generate that much extra. 

Generally though I really love QM2 and all it's quirks (except the theatre - did I mention that 😁) so as long as they don't mess with it I will be happy as I would hate to see changes to places like the Carinthia Lounge etc...

Edited by BouncingWheel
typo

I would not expect changes like the 2016 'remastering' - more things that can be accomplished during a moderate length 'availability' [time without passengers == available to be worked on in the yard]

I am hoping that:

The Illuminations seats will finally be replaced with less fragile ones. [just the reclining ones, or the whole theatre.]

Spa 'upgrades' will include unclogging the drains from locker room showers.

Some of the leaky deck 2 windows [noticed port side, deck 2 Britannia & by voyage sales] will be re-sealed.

Hallway carpeting replaced with something that doesn't look worn out [as it did right after the remastering]

Balcony door gaskets checked and replaced - had quite a whistle this past November in 5194.

Internal network upgrades, along with Starlink ground terminal

Promenade deck access access doors updated to stay closed when it is windy enough to rope them off.

I'm surprised that there has not been one minor upgrade that could be performed without waiting for a shipyard - USB power points in staterooms. Perhaps a modified table lamp with a USB type 'A' port added to the base could be gradually rolled out [power for phone charging - not laptop charging] 

Fix the chairs (red) for planetarium use to recline.

Major paint over those noticeable rust spots all talk about.

Some of the carpets.

Better chairs for Britannia Club balconies.

Offer illy pod coffee Makers for Britannia Club Cabins.

Better internet service 

To name a few...

Edited by BklynBoy8

19 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

.I'm surprised that there has not been one minor upgrade that could be performed without waiting for a shipyard - USB power points in staterooms. Perhaps a modified table lamp with a USB type 'A' port added to the base could be gradually rolled out [power for phone charging - not laptop charging] 

Excellent

• Like 1

Internet, internet, internet!  They so desperately need to upgrade the system, include more routers so that you can actually use the internet in your stateroom.  But most importantly, some lines (like Silversea) are using a new satellite service that provides a quality  connections that approaches what you get at a hotel on land.  Not perfect, but quite usable.  Cunard is behind the times and if the line wants to attract a younger crowd, especially on a QM2 crossing, then good internet is essential.  Otherwise the young people will not return.

• Like 2

Probably not 100% agreement, but a wrist based medallion system to replace clumsy cards that open staterooms and pay for things, etc. 
Many other ships and land-based resorts have them and they work very well. I don’t want everything App based though. 

Dump the cards!

• Like 1

There is not much I wanna see changed- I love QM2 as she is- the remastering of 2016 was hit.

1. Replace those ugly shower curtains

2. Public toilets - they NEED a TOTAL make over- all over the ship.

For the rest- only cosmetic changes - maybe- like new carpets.

• Like 1

We were on the world voyage this year and our understanding is that the work this year will be comparatively minor as QM2 is going out of service in 2026 for a much longer period to have a half life refit/remastering.

16 hours ago, NE John said:

Probably not 100% agreement, but a wrist based medallion system to replace clumsy cards that open staterooms and pay for things, etc. 
Many other ships and land-based resorts have them and they work very well. I don’t want everything App based though. 

Dump the cards!

There is NO way you'd get me wearing a wrist based medallion , it'll clash wiv me Rolex . 

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

No wrist band wanted here either, well not unless it's incorporated in a Graff, diamond encrusted platinum bangle.

So that's a no from me then! 😁

We’ll…I kinda thought there’d be some pushback on the wristband idea but a wristband may be the lesser of other tech problematic improvements that I see coming down the pike. 

What I don’t want to see going forward is any tech “advancement” that require us pax to be glued to our phones all the time i.e. Use the phone to: Scan to get a menu, scan to get into a show or a Grills area, download daily programs, etc. 

When I go onboard, I want both a retreat from screen time and not to see everyone around me with their necks bent downward staring at their screens.  

Edited by NE John
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, NE John said:

Dump the cards!

What is clumsy about a card? 

• Like 1

Cards are:

Easy to get misplaced/lost (especially on an excursion)

Annoying to dig out of a wallet/handbag for each drink or purchase 

Finding the right pocket for it is a pain

Remembering where to put it every night is a challenge 

Yes, I’m moaning but the trend in the industry of hotels/resorts/cruise ships is to add more tech to our experience and I believe a wristband substitute is the lesser evil vs a smartphone/app based keycard. 

The new QA may give us clues of the new tech coming to the other Queens. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NE John said:

Cards are:

Yes, I’m moaning but the trend in the industry of hotels/resorts/cruise ships is to add more tech to our experience and I believe a wristband substitute is the lesser evil vs a smartphone/app based keycard. 

In all seriousness now, there isn't a cat in hell's chance I would wear a medallion, anywhere. Lanyards are bad enough [that's me being polite about them] but wearing  a bit of tech like a medallion is far worse.

It would go in a pocket so what's the difference between a card in a pocket and a bit of tech in a pocket?

Cards any time over more tech stuff.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, NE John said:

Cards are:

I have never had any of the problems you mention about cards, except occasionally having to search a moment in my handbag. But a wristband, made of what? Something sweaty and unpleasant? The medallion, what ever that may be, possibly catching in one’s clothes, or disappearing under several layers on a cold day, or getting entangled with my watch. I do wear a watch, which has some of the above problems, but never wear bracelets for the reasons above. 
Smart phones won’t do, because a number of passengers don’t have them. 
Perhaps we should go back to actual keys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

In all seriousness now, there isn't a cat in hell's chance I would wear a medallion, anywhere. Lanyards are bad enough [that's me being polite about them] but wearing  a bit of tech like a medallion is far worse.

It would go in a pocket so what's the difference between a card in a pocket and a bit of tech in a pocket?

Cards any time over more tech stuff.

My feeling exactly and, if it’s going in a bag or pocket it will be far clumsier than a card.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Cards are:

You clearly don’t stay in many hotels.