Taking food off the ship (end of cruise)

matthew.corrigan

Does anyone know if Alaska has any restrictions about taking food off the cruise ship? My wife and I are going on a Norwegian cruise in 2 weeks disembarking in Seward (Anchorage), and we're going straight into a long travel day home with some tight transfers where we may not have time to grab food. I was thinking of packing some containers so I could grab some stuff from the buffet on the last evening/morning to take on the go. I know that many island ports have restrictions about what food can be taken off the ship, but I don't know if that applies here. Does anyone have any input?

They don't check your luggage departing the ship, so I don't think anyone will stop you.

However, here is a notice from today's Freestyle Daily of the Norwegian Spirit currently cruising south from Seward:

AGRICULTURAL NOTICE

Due to public health regulations -food of any kind (hot, raw or unpacked /packed) will not be allowed to be brought onboard or taken off the ship at any time.

It's a huge NO, NO! Last year there was a couple with a couple of small children who had packed a nice lunch and got caught stopped at the gangway going off the ship with there sandwiches, cookies and fruit from the buffet, it didn't go well. They tell you numerous times that you can't bring food off the ship.

• Like 1

We’re being picked at 8:30 am at the cruise dock for a 7.5 hour Kenai Fjords tour.  I don’t think we have time to get to a grocery store or we would.  We do plan on having breakfast on the ship. Hopefully that will tide us over until lunch on the boat tour.  

Edited by Smitty7711

17 minutes ago, Smitty7711 said:

We’re being picked at 8:30 am at the cruise dock for a 7.5 hour Kenai Fjords tour.  I don’t think we have time to get to a grocery store or we would.  We do plan on having breakfast on the ship. Hopefully that will tide us over until lunch on the boat tour.  

And there is no food offered on a 7.5 hour excursion? You are getting ripped off. Most excursions over 4 hours offer at least snacks. I would bet there will be snacks on the tour early, followed by lunch later. Have a big breakfast.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

And there is no food offered on a 7.5 hour excursion? You are getting ripped off. Most excursions over 4 hours offer at least snacks. I would bet there will be snacks on the tour early, followed by lunch later. Have a big breakfast.

Yes, as I said hopefully breakfast on the ship will tide us over until lunch on the tour boat.  

21 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We've taken cookies from the WJ as we've disembarked many times and have never been stopped. 😜

Doesn't mean it's not illegal, you just didn't get caught. A lot of time, the cute dog at the gangway isn't looking for drugs, it's looking for food.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eaglecw said:

Last year there was a couple with a couple of small children who had packed a nice lunch and got caught stopped at the gangway going off the ship with there sandwiches, cookies and fruit from the buffet, it didn't go well.

I imagine that the contraband was in plain view. I cannot recall vessel security having ever performed intrusive searches when alighting. The greatest risk is going through customs with contraband, as there are intrusive searches and no fourth amendment protections at the border. I remember a several years the person ahead of me at customs in New Orleans had taken an orange from the vessel . . . he was taken away by CBP, though I do not know the result.

33 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Doesn't mean it's not illegal, you just didn't get caught.

Very true, and something I tell clients when income tax returns are being prepared. But do keep in mind that there is a difference between an act being (1) contrary to law, (2) contrary to the terms and conditions of the contract of transportation, and (3) contrary to personal or corporate desires. Unfortunately, not every crew member can be expected to understand or communicate which of the foregoing is the case; but the consequences do vary depending on the actual infraction, if any (ranging from verbal reprimand, to expulsion from cruise vessel, to a fine and/or jail). Be forewarned!

Edited by GTJ

2 hours ago, roupa said:

Seward has groceries available in town!! 

Good suggestion thank you, but won't have time for that. Going straight from the ship to a scenic train excursion at 6:50 am that takes us straight to the airport. Hopefully we'll be there early enough to grab some food before our flight since we've only got a 55 minute layover in Seattle on the way home.

17 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Doesn't mean it's not illegal, you just didn't get caught. A lot of time, the cute dog at the gangway isn't looking for drugs, it's looking for food.

My DH will take his chance to bring home a few Coconut cookies 🤪

So far many departure ports domestic/international and no problem...but thanks !!!

8 minutes ago, decrepit old man said:

The OP is asking about after the cruise, but what about at the ports? Can I bring snacks from the ship with me when I'm out exploring the towns?

Only pre-packaged items. Such as granola bars, candy bars, etc....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, decrepit old man said:

The OP is asking about after the cruise, but what about at the ports? Can I bring snacks from the ship with me when I'm out exploring the towns?

I had to pour out a coffee once, but I have taken unopened water bottles off with no problem. I think the big no-no’s are meats, fruits, etc because of agricultural laws.

• Like 1

So I'm curious.... if you're leaving a US cruiseship onto US grounds - why are cookies (since that's what we are talking about) illegal?  I can understand meats, fruit, veggies - live items. Anything that pests can grow on.  But pastries?  Cookies?  I can bring those from Australia into the US or whatever country to country.  

22 minutes ago, BazAl said:

So I'm curious.... if you're leaving a US cruiseship onto US grounds - why are cookies (since that's what we are talking about) illegal?  I can understand meats, fruit, veggies - live items. Anything that pests can grow on.  But pastries?  Cookies?  I can bring those from Australia into the US or whatever country to country.  

There are very few "US Cruise Ships". American Cruise Line, Pearl Cruise Line.......

Most main stream lines - NCL, CCL, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, etc... are actually registered in foreign countries.

Nuts and seeds are also forbidden. It is an agricultural issue.

Thus, some packaged items are allowed. Other packaged items such as beef jerky are not allowed.

Edited by Coral

Because different countries have different rules about what can and cannot be imported in to the country, I think the cruise lines just adopt the "no food" rule to make it easier....

That being said, in the USA certain foods; like baked good; are perfectly fine to be imported. (My sister in law routinely brings us pastries from Ecuador when she visits.

The rules are made by the US Dept. of Agriculture.  The biggest sticking point for many foods is "proving" where the food originated from.

Aloha,

John

12 hours ago, BazAl said:

Because, for the most part, you aren't leaving a US cruise ship. Especially since the cruise originates in Canada. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 9:54 PM, Coral said:

Thus, some packaged items are allowed. Other packaged items such as beef jerky are not allowed.

Not entirely true regarding jerky specifically... I've carried it into Australia and coming back into the US.  It's country specific, and country of origin specific.  Just be sure to declare it and don't get caught trying to sneak it by.  The beagles and other breeds they use for finding illicit food are really, really talented.