Viking Fit to Travel

Roz326

Has anyone else been asked to complete a FIT TO TRAVEL form for a River cruise on Viking? They are asking for personal infomration such as medicines/dosages taken as well as a physician's letter statiing "fit to travel" for an upcoming river cruise. This seems a tad bit illegal. Even employers are not allowed to ask/have this information! What happens if I don't complete the form? Sorry, Viking...this is just crazy!

I’ve had to submit a physician's form for round-the-world jet trips and never considered if it was legal or not.  It included listing medications if any and allergies and in some cases vaccines were required. All participants had to submit the forms, not just those beyond a certain age. I just thought it was a precaution because those trips went to some rather isolated places with few medical facilities so participants need to be fit enough. 

As for travel on a river cruise I think the issue could be there is less accommodation for those with mobility  or health issues than there would be on a larger ocean-going ship and the ships are so small there is probably not a doctor or nurse on board. It’s really a safety issue for passengers who may over-estimate their fitness to travel and also a liability issue for the cruise lines.  Is this something new at Viking?  If you think a legal line has been crossed then you can choose not to cruise with them, right?

51 minutes ago, Roz326 said:

Has anyone else been asked to complete a FIT TO TRAVEL form for a River cruise on Viking? They are asking for personal infomration such as medicines/dosages taken as well as a physician's letter statiing "fit to travel" for an upcoming river cruise. This seems a tad bit illegal. Even employers are not allowed to ask/have this information! What happens if I don't complete the form? Sorry, Viking...this is just crazy!

which cruise line?

49 minutes ago, Roz326 said:

Has anyone else been asked to complete a FIT TO TRAVEL form for a River cruise on Viking?

Not us. Our latest Viking trip was 24 April - 1 May 2023, our first was in 2012

Thanks for the comments. I had to complete a fit for travel form last year after contracting COVID on a Viking longship. Understandably. I've had to provide information for my collapsable wheelchair, which is why I guess I was asked ot complete the form for this cruise. However I was never ask for this information for my upcoming Australian/NZ cruise! Where's the consistency? I understand the ocean vessels have a physician on board. I've never had to use the ship's physician, thankfully. I just really don't feel that Viking gets. to see this personal information. I carry my pharmacy's paperwork with me for any medications I may take. Sorry, folks, but I'm stumped about this request. 

Viking requires a fit to travel form for their Antarctica cruises even though there is a physician onboard because of the remoteness like Gourmet Gal said.  Is this river cruise to someplace exotic?

1 hour ago, Roz326 said:

Thanks for the comments. I had to complete a fit for travel form last year after contracting COVID on a Viking longship. Understandably. I've had to provide information for my collapsable wheelchair, which is why I guess I was asked ot complete the form for this cruise. However I was never ask for this information for my upcoming Australian/NZ cruise! Where's the consistency? I understand the ocean vessels have a physician on board. I've never had to use the ship's physician, thankfully. I just really don't feel that Viking gets. to see this personal information. I carry my pharmacy's paperwork with me for any medications I may take. Sorry, folks, but I'm stumped about this request. 

Sounds like it’s the difference between an ocean and river cruise.  It’s extra difficult on a river cruise for folks with mobility issues so I can understand Viking wanting to have an independent opinion from a physician.  The larger ocean going vessels are definitely more accommodating for those same people and there is a physician onboard.  Are you also traveling with Viking on your Aus/NZ cruise?

i don’t find the queries about medication or fitness an issue at all for either type of cruising if you’ve already been identified as needing some accommodation.

This is for a Viking River cruise from Prague to Paris. And yes, the longships are never far from a city center. I am not new to Viking, this will be my 7th Viking cruise. We all have our individual opinions and feelings about this type of request. Mine is that I do not wish to provide this personal information to a cruise company. I am well aware of my capabilities and limitations. I was just simply shocked this morning to receive this request...all because I am bringing a collapsible wheelchair on board. No special diet; no special needs on the ship. My Viking rep has indicated that I now do not have to complete this form so it's all good. The end. 

Oh yes, and my Australian cruise is with Viking. Making it cruise #8 with this company. 

I’m thinking the form is tied to your bringing the collapsible wheelchair. Viking needs to confirm that in the case of an emergency and / or the need to evacuate the ship, that you are able to get yourself off the ship and do not require any assistance from any Viking staff. I’m sure the form is tied to some type of potential liability issue. 

• Like 7

The one thing I would point out is that once you leave the US, you leave US laws behind.  You won't get very far claiming that things are "illegal" [even 'a tad bit'] in countries where they are not – especially with Viking, whose owner is a law unto Himself.  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The one thing I would point out is that once you leave the US, you leave US laws behind.  You won't get very far claiming that things are "illegal" [even 'a tad bit'] in countries where they are not – especially with Viking, whose owner is a law unto Himself.  😀

Good point.  I've encountered a number of people who don't realize the ADA doesn't extend to Europe.  

• Like 1

One is subject to the laws of the territory that one is in*.

However @Roz326 was in the US and making a booking with a Viking Company registered in California, USA, thus the booking would be subject to the laws applicable there.

When I book a river cruise it is with the company in the UK and the booking conditions are those that are lawful in the UK; they aren't the same as those applied by the US company, or the Australian company.

Suggesting the the laws are made by Viking's owner is just Jazzbeau's usual criticism of  anything to do with Viking, although a bit over the top in this case.

*as my son found out when he had his 18th birthday in Florida and couldn't buy a beer to celebrate....

Edited by pontac

3 hours ago, pontac said:

Suggesting the the laws are made by Viking's owner is just Jazzbeau's usual criticism of  anything to do with Viking, although a bit over the top in this case.

I was neither making that particular suggestion nor criticizing Viking on this occasion.  I was referring to three facts:  (1) Viking's owner is a lot like Elon Musk, highly opinionated and unfiltered [remember his interview where he said his cruise lines are based mainly on what he personally wants in a cruise, and also that the market for Viking is basically limited to North Americans but they also tolerate other English-speakers – and ok, that's an over-the-top spin on what he said, but not by much...]; (2) the Seine cruise contretemps with the Paris authorities over whether his 135m ships could dock where everybody else docks their smaller ships – that's one where he ultimately had to back down and do a new design at 125m; and (3) many complaints here on Cruise Critic about Viking Ocean's lack of accommodations for handicapped passengers.  Adding those up, I see a man trying to act as 'a law unto Himself.'

I would agree that the medicine dosages are none of their business, but perhaps the wheelchair is a bit of a concern.  Those longships are mighty small, some of the aisles are narrow, and getting on and off the ship could be a challenge, especially if you are docked next to another ship and have to step over the sides.  A few times we had a rather long walk from the ship to the tour buses.

I do not really think that a doctor's letter is necessary at all--how would the doctor know what kind of physical activity might be required on your cruise? Yes, maybe it is just to cover themselves for legal issues--I am assuming you have travel insurance.

BTW, I took Jazzbeau's comments as quite clever, and 100% accurate.  Who cares where you booked the cruise from when you are in the middle of the ocean, or in a second world country having medical issues? (I would certainly have a preferred country choice for a hospital from my most recent Viking river cruise!)

I hope you have a wonderful time and stay healthy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2023 at 2:52 PM, Roz326 said:

This is for a Viking River cruise from Prague to Paris. And yes, the longships are never far from a city center. I am not new to Viking, this will be my 7th Viking cruise. We all have our individual opinions and feelings about this type of request. Mine is that I do not wish to provide this personal information to a cruise company. I am well aware of my capabilities and limitations. I was just simply shocked this morning to receive this request...all because I am bringing a collapsible wheelchair on board. No special diet; no special needs on the ship. My Viking rep has indicated that I now do not have to complete this form so it's all good. The end. 

Oh yes, and my Australian cruise is with Viking. Making it cruise #8 with this company. 

We just came home from Prague to Paris and we didn't have to fill out any health form.  There is a lot of walking on this river cruise, lots of bus rides where you are dropped off and need to walk to the city centers and the reverse.  What comes to mind is the bus ride from Prague to Bamberg, stopping in Nuremberg Old Town for lunch.  Same for the bus ride from Trier to Paris, stopping in Riems for lunch and then a visit to the Cathedral.  For the Prague panoramic tour, we walked over 15,000 steps on the tour itself, for the day we did over 22,000 steps.

We have been asked to complete medical history forms on our GCT/OAT cruise and land trips once we met up with the group. The trip leader kept them in their duty bags as we discovered when a traveler required medical attention. 
The form asked for medical conditions and medications. It seemed reasonable for them to have this information as they would be the interface between the traveler and the medical provider. 

• Like 2

Guest ldtr
On 5/22/2023 at 6:47 AM, Roz326 said:

Nothing illegal about it.  Cruising is a voluntary activity. Providing the information is voluntary.  If they asked your doctor and your doctor provided the information without your consent then that would be a violation of HIPAA in the US.  You can choose not to answer it, the cruise line can then choose not to have you on their trip.  Totally different situation then an employer-employee relationship.