Documents needed for Canadian cruise

Alpha Wolf

A passport! If you happen to have Nexus, your customs experience will be quicker too.

This is assuming you are American, as some countries do require a Visa to enter Canada.

Edited by dawnvip
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lissie said:

Well I need an ESTA applied for an approved and my passport - but your mileage may vary if you are not a New Zealander 

An ESTA is to enter USA, it is an eTA that is required by some passport holders to enter Canada.

(Not being pedantic, but precise!) 

• Like 3

We just had our passports and the customs part was computerized and printed a slip that you showed to a customs officer and they asked us why we were in Canada which was an easy we are going on a cruise and they waived us through. Then we grabbed our bags and on the way out of the terminal you simply hand the slip to a customs agent on the way out and you are done. Only issue might be if you are carrying large sums of cash, I believe the number was 10k. 

we read the Canada government sites and they made entry sound a lot more problematic than it was and added a lot of stress pre cruise. 

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

We just had our passports and the customs part was computerized and printed a slip that you showed to a customs officer and they asked us why we were in Canada which was an easy we are going on a cruise and they waived us through. Then we grabbed our bags and on the way out of the terminal you simply hand the slip to a customs agent on the way out and you are done. Only issue might be if you are carrying large sums of cash, I believe the number was 10k. 

we read the Canada government sites and they made entry sound a lot more problematic than it was and added a lot of stress pre cruise. 

The kiosk itself is easy to use, but I find it hard to hang onto the slip of paper while I'm dragging my luggage. Last time, I put it in my pocket and then forgot where it was! 

I think most countries ask if you're carrying large sums of cash. I always read that question and think, "I wish!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

An ESTA is to enter USA, it is an eTA that is required by some passport holders to enter Canada.

(Not being pedantic, but precise!) 

I requested them both today (coincidence, I did not yet read this post). 
We fly in to Canada, and then with the cruise go to the US. 

Needed the documents for 4, and especially the esta was quite some information to fill in…..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Greebo said:

I requested them both today (coincidence, I did not yet read this post). 
We fly in to Canada, and then with the cruise go to the US. 

Needed the documents for 4, and especially the esta was quite some information to fill in…..

The USA ESTA is a huge PITA - I'm busy prioritizing US travel because once I'm done I want to go to the "evil" places that if I go to automatically disqualifies me from an ESTA Cuba and Iran are high on my list and maybe Yemen 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CGinMTL said:

Arrive can app is still in operation but optional 

If you do that ahead of time.

Custom clearance will be even faster.

I haven’t heard a peep about this lately.  Haven’t been asked for it retuning to Canada in November or April.  I do have a nexus card and that was fast.  Can’t see how it would be faster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I haven’t heard a peep about this lately.  Haven’t been asked for it retuning to Canada in November or April.  I do have a nexus card and that was fast.  Can’t see how it would be faster.

ArriveCan is basically only if you are arriving in Canada by flying in now.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

ArriveCan is basically only if you are arriving in Canada by flying in now.  

Yes, I understand as I’m Canadian.  I’ve flown into my country and have never heard a peep upon arriving the last 2 times.  Not a single person asked if I had it completed.

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes, I understand as I’m Canadian.  I’ve flown into my country and have never heard a peep upon arriving the last 2 times.  Not a single person asked if I had it completed.

They don't have to ask.  When you complete it online prior to arriving, and then scan your passport when you land, the computer already tells them you have completed it and indicates it on the receipt you get from the scanner machine.  Knowing it has been completed, they just look at your receipt and put a mark on it so you are good to go.  That is the advantage of using ArriveCan.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I tried to fill out the ArriveCAN app back in January but since we have Nexus it wouldn’t allow us to do it anymore. Only those without Nexus can still use it apparently. I doubt many are still using it.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

They don't have to ask.  When you complete it online prior to arriving, and then scan your passport when you land, the computer already tells them you have completed it and indicates it on the receipt you get from the scanner machine.  Knowing it has been completed, they just look at your receipt and put a mark on it so you are good to go.  That is the advantage of using ArriveCan.

My point is that you don’t have to use it and it’s not speeding anything up but I know no matter what is posted there has to be someone to say it’s not true. If you have nothing but free time go ahead and do it. 

49 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

My point is that you don’t have to use it and it’s not speeding anything up but I know no matter what is posted there has to be someone to say it’s not true. If you have nothing but free time go ahead and do it. 

The Arrivecan App may (optionally) be used by those who do not have Nexus to fast-track their arrival through CBSA customs by submitting your declaration ahead of time - which is what CGinMtl was trying to point out. Not sure if this would be applicable for those travellers who need a eTA for entry into Canada.

Edited by dawnvip

1 hour ago, dawnvip said:

The Arrivecan App may (optionally) be used by those who do not have Nexus to fast-track their arrival through CBSA customs by submitting your declaration ahead of time - which is what CGinMtl was trying to point out. Not sure if this would be applicable for those travellers who need a eTA for entry into Canada.

I haven't seen a separate line for those that have filled out the arrive can ahead of time in the airports when  I've entered Canada.  Maybe there are separate lines in other airports. I'm just hoping to give some accurate information so people don't think they will be put into some super speedy line.  Take it for what it's worth.  I do find it interesting the way people will practically knock you over to run to the customs area so they'll get ahead of everyone.  I go to the bathroom, get my nexus card and clear customs while these people are still in line.  All of us are stand waiting for our luggage to come out after that for 20 -30 min. (westjet and air canada). 

• Like 1

If you're travelling on a US passport, that's all you need. (assuming you do not have any Criminal charges which would make you ineligible to enter)

Florida gal is correct.... no mention of Arrivecan and breeze through per usual.

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I haven't seen a separate line for those that have filled out the arrive can ahead of time in the airports when  I've entered Canada.  Maybe there are separate lines in other airports. I'm just hoping to give some accurate information so people don't think they will be put into some super speedy line.  Take it for what it's worth.  I do find it interesting the way people will practically knock you over to run to the customs area so they'll get ahead of everyone.  I go to the bathroom, get my nexus card and clear customs while these people are still in line.  All of us are stand waiting for our luggage to come out after that for 20 -30 min. (westjet and air canada). 

For people that don’t have NEXUS, you have to fill out a declaration at the kiosk when you scan your passport.  If you use ArriveCan you don’t have to fill out the declaration at the kiosk because you already did it.  This is how ArriveCan saves you time when arriving in Canada.

11 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

For people that don’t have NEXUS, you have to fill out a declaration at the kiosk when you scan your passport.  If you use ArriveCan you don’t have to fill out the declaration at the kiosk because you already did it.  This is how ArriveCan saves you time when arriving in Canada.

Ok 2 minutes.  Unfortunately the luggage takes forever so it's really doing nothing. I'm sure everyone here gets luggage immediately.

On 5/22/2023 at 11:57 PM, Alpha Wolf said:

I am flying into Montreal from US. What documents do I need a5 the Canadian airport? Thanks

You won’t get to the Canadian airport unless you show your passport at the US airport to check in.