Princess Regal ship

beshears

I am in the "thinking" mode of possibly doing the Regal ship. I know this is an older ship, and I don't have a problem with that, but there are 7 others that will be going with me. If you have been on the Regal ship within the past year, would you mind giving me YOUR pros/cons of this ship?

2 minutes ago, beshears said:

I am in the "thinking" mode of possibly doing the Regal ship. I know this is an older ship, and I don't have a problem with that, but there are 7 others that will be going with me. If you have been on the Regal ship within the past year, would you mind giving me YOUR pros/cons of this ship?

All I can say is this ship is awesome!!!

• Like 1

There are a couple of live reports from people who are just finishing up a cruise on this ship.  I've found them extremely helpful giving me a taste of what to expect on the Regal (even though my sailing will be Caribbean), as I've never sailed Princess before.  Very happy to see the positive votes above as well! 

I prefer the Regal to the other Royal class ships. It was the second in the series and they fixed some stuff from the Royal debut. It’s a good solid ship without a lot of gimmicks added for marketing purposes. 

• Like 1

We were on the Regal in March of this year and the ship was great.  Food was well above average and service was good.  This ship would probably be my first choice when booking.

• Like 1

Yes, we have sailed on the Regal.

My impression is, you are not set on Princess as a line. If you are set on Princess, and age is important, Discovery is the newest, then Enchanted, Sky, Majestic, Regal, Royal. The Sun will enter service in '24.

My stand out good memory of the Regal was the buffet. Huge! Brewed coffee in the buffet too, no syrup stuff.  We enjoyed our cruise, but the ship was too big and impersonal for our tastes.

19 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

If you are set on Princess, and age is important, Discovery is the newest, then Enchanted, Sky, Majestic, Regal, Royal.

Yes, and age isn't important yet on the royal class ships.
And the Regal has a much nicer Retreat Pool area than the newer Royal Class ships, where the pool is surrounded by extra cabins.
Fantastic ship.

Edited by EDVM96

Got off the Regal Saturday after a fantastic cruise round the British Isles. The ship is amazing crew…especially in Bellini bar were outstanding. Food was superb,,,too much of it 🤣enjoy she is a great ship.

We were on Regal in Caribbean this April. Regal used to be my favorite ship. We have sailed her several times in different regions and always had an outstanding experience. Our most recent cruise was very good, but I felt that crew was not up to par in some areas. It was not the restart thing, as we have sailed Regal after restart (Jan 22) and had a wonderful experience. My issues were specifically with gym staff (rude, however they are not technically crew, but independent contractors), lucklaster service in one of the MDRs (rectified by amazing service in the other MDR for the rest of the cruise) and shops stuff (might be just Elite thing with constantly having to verify if they applied my discount).

Aside form these somewhat nitpicky issues we had a very good cruise and would not hesitate to sail on Regal again, but the banner of favorite ship has passed to Discovery for now (she had old Regal's captain, hotel manager and several other senior officers when we sailed her and it showed in the feel of the ship for us).

43 minutes ago, JerrySueW said:

Loved the Regal on the recent TA in April. The ship never felt crowded. The crew was fantastic - best cruise director staff we have encountered. All of them very personable and fun.

I will totally agree to that! I am assuming Ally (Alexandra) is still there from April 23? She is awesome and her helpers were too! Also, Martin (Entertainment director) promised to bring the Rock Opera back? Not sure if that happened yet?

• Like 1

Oh my, thank you EVERYONE for your candid comments to my question. As I mentioned earlier, I have no problem in going on an older ship, as to me, I'm "thinking" the newer ships may not have some of the same things that I liked from the older ship. All I can say at this time you have convinced me to try to talk my family in doing this ship as well. Later, I may be back on here asking some questions as well.

Just one other thing as I believe someone mentioned. We would be doing the Caribbean for this cruise in February.