Booking segment of World Cruise -- a plus or a minus?

cruisemom42

Earlier during the Extraordinary Values sale I put down a deposit on a Miami to LA sailing on Insignia (late Dec 2023) that looked interesting (this long-time cruiser has never gone through the Panama Canal...) and the price was good. This is contingent on whether I will enjoy my first cruise to Iceland/Greenland and Canada on first Insignia cruise in August, of course.

When I went to start gathering information about the December Miami departure, I quickly realized it is part of the (extended) 2024 World Cruise on Insignia. 

I have no intention of doing more than the single segment, but my question is whether it is a good thing or a bad thing to be on a segment of a World Cruise?  Will I feel excluded because most (or at least many) will be on the ship for an extended period?  Is it a clique-y atmosphere on these cruises -- I have heard on HAL that this is sometimes the case, for example, where the ATW cruise has many repeaters.

Or on the plus side, will there be any special events or treats, better dining or that sort of thing?

Please enlighten this newbie O cruiser.

Several items you didn’t mention.

1. is that segment in the early part of the ATW, or the latter (120+ days)?

2. Are you cruising for the ship or the itinerary ?

3. Are you fairly extroverted or even slightly introverted?

All of these matter a lot.

Just one simple typical example. You’ll talk to a fellow passenger that’s an ATW and has been on the ship 132 days. He’s eaten in the two Specialties 20-25 times each, and has no desire to eat in either the rest of the cruise. You’ll find getting extra Specialty reservations can be a daily thing. In fact, many are tired of food and eating, period. May not still be the case at Day 30.

I can give multiple other examples including the noticeable huge drop in perceived energy levels and even participation in shore tours over time. Depends on the individual, but from outside the group I believe it’s far more apparent/noticeable than from within. Finding enough people to do private tours from the Roll Call is difficult at best.

I’d not do it again, but for others just wanting a quiet cruise enjoying the ship it may be worthwhile.

• Thanks 1

Some good points I had not considered, thanks.

This segment will be on the front end of the 2024 World Cruise. From the bit of reading I've done so far it seems that you could originally sign up for the 180-day version starting from LA or you could back it up and start with the Miami cruise I'm booked on for a whopping total of 196 days.

So yes, I will be on at the beginning.  Excitement levels high?  Harder to get dining reservations?

I would say I am a medium-vert, lol. I like engaging with others and since I live alone it is something I enjoy on cruises. On the other hand I also have no problem spending a certain amount of time daily on my own reading or even touring ports.

Does O do anything special or out-of-the-ordinary on their WC?  For example, I've heard some lines offer additional entertainment/enrichment, or spend more $$ per person on food (although perhaps on O there would be less difference in that regard).

27 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Some good points I had not considered, thanks.

This segment will be on the front end of the 2024 World Cruise. From the bit of reading I've done so far it seems that you could originally sign up for the 180-day version starting from LA or you could back it up and start with the Miami cruise I'm booked on for a whopping total of 196 days.

So yes, I will be on at the beginning.  Excitement levels high?  Harder to get dining reservations?

I would say I am a medium-vert, lol. I like engaging with others and since I live alone it is something I enjoy on cruises. On the other hand I also have no problem spending a certain amount of time daily on my own reading or even touring ports.

Does O do anything special or out-of-the-ordinary on their WC?  For example, I've heard some lines offer additional entertainment/enrichment, or spend more $$ per person on food (although perhaps on O there would be less difference in that regard).

Since this is at the front end of the ATW and many ATW cruisers will be boarding in LAX, it will be like any other Panama Canal cruise.  O will not start their ATW special events until all of the ATW cruisers have boarded in LAX.   You will enjoy this cruise - we have done the Panama Canal with O twice and are going to be onboard for VISTA's inaugural Panama Canal cruise.

• Thanks 1

Amen Basor, we were on a segment in April 2018, Beijing to Sydney and it was a great experience, one we would do again.  We too will be on the Vista Miami to LA Inaugural and that will be our second PC transit. We will not be doing that “sail around the lake” type trip so we will experience the best part of a Panama Canal cruise. 
As was shared, our segment covered roughly the mid point of the ATW and we found the 200 or so people aboard to be great travelers.  We were welcomed into Private Tours organized by other ATW travelers, even one by wonderful people who were sailing in an Owners Suite.  There may have been a half dozen who were cliquish but certainly a significant minority. Specialty reservations were easy to get, over 20 out of 35 days. We did not participate in ATW cruiser events, not sure there even was one while we were aboard. We did have a wonderful Sunday Brunch for everyone.  
Please remember when booking a cruise of any kind or length or segment on Oceania, We are F-A-M-I-L-Y and everyone is welcomed, not like some other lines.  IMHO, You should have NO CONCERNS about booking this PC segment. 
Mauibabes

• Like 4

We were on the first segment of an Insignia ATW a few years ago, which in our case was from Miami to Honolulu. 

We didn't feel like outsiders nor did we perceive any clique-y behavior  by other passengers.  IIRC the first special off-ship event for ATW passengers took place during this segment on the Big Island.

It seemed like well over 50% of the passengers disembarked in Honolulu, which may account for why we didn't feel like outsiders. 

• Thanks 1

We usually do an ATW segment (or two consecutive ones) every year or two. In the past, our preference has been finishing the ATW in NYC (for the Broadway binge).

Who are the current ATW cruisers and when you join can get varying results (also different  from ATW person to person) regarding the vibe for joiners. There will be the extremes (“Thank God- someone new to talk to!” vs “You’re not one of us.”). But, mostly, it’s just another cruise since the O opens segment bookings as soon as the allotted ATW cabin are sold. In any case, we’ve always felt comfortable with and welcomed by MOST of the ATW passengers with whom we regularly interact.

As for the differences on Insignia during an ATW, do know that the executive chef has a very nice discretionary budget to keep things interesting. And, if you join later than sooner, you’ll usually find more specialty dining reservation availability. There’s also plenty of non-repeating entertainment (beyond the regular ship’s troupe stuff).

We’ll do the last segment of this year’s ATW, which is 3 weeks from SFO to NYC. Our biggest disappointment is that Ray Carr will have finished his time on that itinerary. But we like Dottie and we know enough crew that we’re sure to renew some acquaintances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We booked a segment on the first ATW cruise.  Because there was a delay to the start of the cruise, our segment from Singapore ended up being the first leg.  I'd joined the roll call and there was a good camaraderie among the cruisers, so when we embarked I felt we "knew" some of the others.  We managed to join several private tours, via the roll call, one of which involved an overnight stay in Hanoi.

It was unusual as a lot of people had cancelled but we found no awkwardness at all with the other passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We joined the ATW 2022 cruise Lisbon-NYC. Booked for the itinerary and multiple sea days, joined old friends & made new friends. Have booked and are looking forward to joining the last part of 2025 ATW, Papeete-San Diego for the itinerary and sea days. 

We did the first leg of an ATW several years ago and truly enjoyed it.  We loved listening to the adventures the full-trip passengers were looking forward to and marveling at how much they had brought with them. They were quite friendly, but I'm not sure how it would be after several legs of the trip.  We did a 51-day cruise earlier this year, and while we bonded with some of those on the full itinerary, we made friends with a lot of those on for just one or two legs. We are the kind of people who like sharing tables in the restaurants  in order to get to know others. I'm the kind who will start up a conversation with just about anyone -- yes, I'm from the South.  😄  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoulaAnn said:

-- yes, I'm from the South.  😄  Hope this helps.

HaHa! I was definitely out of place living in Western Mass. I tried talking to people standing next to me in the grocery store check out line. They looked at me like, “Why is this woman talking to me?”

LOL!

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...