They have destroyed the Crows Nest

38 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I thought it was more people camping out and reserving the loungers in front of the windows.  I guess they must be more comfortable than their beds because many seem to spend the day sleeping there.

They bring their lunch there so they don't lose the spot.  Truth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I thought it was more people camping out and reserving the loungers in front of the windows.  I guess they must be more comfortable than their beds because many seem to spend the day sleeping there.

This ☝️

On both my Alaska and Eastern Caribbean cruise.  Probably the same folks who complain about chair hogs at the pool!

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
7 hours ago, albingirl said:

Back to the Crow's nest.  Not only is that ruined, when they destroyed the libraries onboard, well, that was a heartbreaker.  I know that they are bringing them back on some ships, slowly, but it was so incrediible that something so easy became something so hard. Libraries were well loved on all my sailings, most especially the long ones.

Libraries have kind of gone the way of buggy whips, obsolete.  Pretty much replaced by e-books and portable readers.  Pretty much unlimited access to down load books anytime you have access to Wifi.

18 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Libraries have kind of gone the way of buggy whips, obsolete.  Pretty much replaced by e-books and portable readers.  Pretty much unlimited access to down load books anytime you have access to Wifi.

I will venture to get flamed and disagree with you.  I saw a lot of people at the library on my cruises before they disappeared.  They were enchanted.  

And yes, I use technology and even do spread sheets for my cruise but I far prefer to hold a real book in my hands versus trying to read one on my IPad.  I have 5 on it and they are all half started.  My regular books are read voraciously.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

My last cruise the library was more of a gathering place for game players.  It actually rekindled an interest in gaming for me.  Everything changes and some changes are simply trials.  I like the quieter crows nest but would like to see it used for other activities.  One thing I truly liked about Oceania was they hosted the afternoon tea with string quartet accompaniment in the crows nest equivalent.  So much nicer than sitting at the dinner table.   It was well attended as it provided a gathering late afternoon not just an eating event. Didn’t they used to do trivia and such in the crows nest in the afternoon?

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PACD_JG said:

We found that the window loungers emptied out in the afternoon, which is when we tended to spend time there (on the Pinnacle class ships at least).

53 minutes ago, kazu said:

I will venture to get flamed and disagree with you.  I saw a lot of people at the library on my cruises before they disappeared.  They were enchanted.  

They were building a new library on the Koningsdam in dry dock this year (which wasn't quite finished yet, but I expect it will be for our next cruise), and I believe there is one on the Rotterdam already.

The classroom area was heavily used on our last cruise too, and people seemed to love the various classes there.There were a dozen different classes over the 18 day cruise we took in April, all were fully booked. I know people make fun of HA's "colouring" classes, but they have been well attended in our limited experience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

Exactly.  I’ve brought this up before to be told it doesn’t happen.  Looks like you are I are the only ones to see this.  Probably the same reason there are no chairs on the promenade.  Sleep spot # 2.

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, kazu said:

And yes, I use technology and even do spread sheets for my cruise but I far prefer to hold a real book in my hands versus trying to read one on my IPad.  I have 5 on it and they are all half started.  My regular books are read voraciously.  

Sure some people may want to hold a book, but the numbers are decreasing and will never be higher than they are today.  So a cruise line can use the space for a decreasing percentage of their population or use it for something else that may over time be useful to an increasing percentage of their population.  I used to carry 8 paperbacks on a 5 day trip, reading 2 of them just on the outbound flight.  Now I carry over a thousand on my phone and can download news ones whenever I want a new one.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Totally agree.  The constant talk on here is to raise prices.  The library brings in zero revenue.  For those that must have a library, I think that’s the perfect place to start making revenue.  It will help cover the cost of the books too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

Sure some people may want to hold a book, but the numbers are decreasing and will never be higher than they are today.  So a cruise line can use the space for a decreasing percentage of their population or use it for something else that may over time be useful to an increasing percentage of their population.  I used to carry 8 paperbacks on a 5 day trip, reading 2 of them just on the outbound flight.  Now I carry over a thousand on my phone and can download news ones whenever I want a new one.

Holding a book that many others have had their hands on 🤮. There are people that never wash their hands. Probably lick their fingers to turn the page.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Holding a book that many others have had their hands on 🤮. There are people that never wash their hands. Probably lick their fingers to turn the page.

This brings up another issue (never posted) we had with the Westerdam.  There are no hand washing stations at the Lido entrances.  They do have a single hand sanitizer machine at each entrance, but on our cruise the one we used was frequently empty.  But it would not have made much difference because we noticed very few cruisers using the sanitizer before they went into the Lido.  And the sad fact is that the standard hand sanitizers are near worthless at killing the Norovirus (which is protected by a tough kernel).  The best weapon against Noro is simply washing your hands with warm soapy water.  

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I agree with you.  I live on an insanely busy beach in Florida and I can say, with no doubt, that 95% of the people sitting in sand chairs are holding either a hard copy of a book or a magazine.  Books are not out dated, not in the least.  I have a kindle, as well, because of places where there is no access to books.  By necessity, and not by choice.  You see, books are a big part of the happiness factor  in my life and as much as people like to tell me that books are a part of the past, I can attest to the fact that I witness many people in our here and now enjoying them. One of the fun things in my life includes library visits.  Doesn't cost a dime and gives me unlimited enjoyment.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I agree with you.  I live on an insanely busy beach in Florida and I can say, with no doubt, that 95% of the people sitting in sand chairs are holding either a hard copy of a book or a magazine.  Books are not out dated, not in the least.  I have a kindle, as well, because of places where there is no access to books.  By necessity, and not by choice.  You see, books are a big part of the happiness factor  in my life and as much as people like to tell me that books are a part of the past, I can attest to the fact that I witness many people in our here and now enjoying them. One of the fun things in my life includes library visits.  Doesn't cost a dime and gives me unlimited enjoyment.

On a beach, in bright sun, and with sand involved I prefer a hard copy too- but 95% seems like a gross exaggeration. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Big cheer for libraries.

Long story, but basically if it was not for the local public library, DW and I would have never got together. (And later this year, we will celebrate our 46th wedding anniversary on a sea day between Norway and Iceland.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Big cheer for libraries.

Long story, but basically if it was not for the local public library, DW and I would have never got together. (And later this year, we will celebrate our 46th wedding anniversary on a sea day between Norway and Iceland.)

Congratulations and all best wishes!!!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Probably because people don’t want to get their kindle stolen.  How many people do you see on the ship saving their chair all day with a kindle? I would think zero or close to it.

Libraries, even at home have a changing role and to exist they need to adapt.  It is nice to have a place on a ship that is not constantly filled with a program but is filled with people. 

Edited by Mary229

10 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Adult coloring was became quite a thing a couple of years ago, although the fad seemed to fade fairly fast. From HAL’s perspective, it’s a cheap and easy thing to offer, with the need to find skilled instructors like painting would involve.

The water colour classes on our Cunard cruises last year were over-subscribed and they ran 2 different streams am/pm every sea day.  The insturctor got a free cruise so I think that's the only cost to the cruise line - there was a charge to participants for materials (apparently very good value) . It was run in part of the main dining room 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lissie said:

The water colour classes on our Cunard cruises last year were over-subscribed and they ran 2 different streams am/pm every sea day.  The insturctor got a free cruise so I think that's the only cost to the cruise line - there was a charge to participants for materials (apparently very good value) . It was run in part of the main dining room 

I could see painting but colouring is a hard pill for me to swallow.

By the way I tried the Amazon locker that you talked about on another thread.  I never buy anything from Amazon as I’m not around to get it.  This worked perfectly so thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
15 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Libraries, even at home have a changing role and to exist they need to adapt.  It is nice to have a place on a ship that is not constantly filled with a program but is filled with people. 

From what I have seen for several years the areas on cruise ships designated as libraries are more locations for game distribution, passenger book exchanges, and places for the daily Sudoku sheets. Not so much as a check out Library with a good selection of books to borrow.

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

From what I have seen for several years the areas on cruise ships designated as libraries are more locations for game distribution, passenger book exchanges, and places for the daily Sudoku sheets. Not so much as a check out Library with a good selection of books to borrow.

They were before - 2019 for the older ships - Prinsendam (fabulous 2 libraries), Rotterdam, etc.  I remember the Dutch passengers on the Rotterdam amazed and enchanted with the library.

And yes, there were puzzles, etc there but the library was also a big part of it.  The good old days, I guess, now.  The libraries being brought back to not have the near selection that was there in the past. 😔 

• Like 2

Just now, ldtr said:

That is what i saw.   On my last cruise which had many sea days the afternoons were packed with active gaming.  There were stacks of games to “check out”.  There were a few computers for those who don’t carry .  There was an exchange which is a great idea.  I still like to see travel guides and atlas.  It is a flex space to be used as the passenger sees fit.  

• Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 7:36 PM, Mary229 said:

I agree.   Just raise the price for dinner and let people enjoy the meal without upcharges.  This doesn’t need to be complicated.  It certainly ruins the ambience to try to enjoy a special night out, all paid for, then need to discuss with the waitstaff payment.  

Well and it makes the waitstaff so uncomfortable. That is what gets me far more than the upcharge. HAL staff are just too good at making us happy. Dh and I know if we are asking for something that requires an upcharge. The staff seem so relieved when we just wave it off and say "oh we know, it's all okay"  They are so accommodating and I hate to think of the reaction that get from the unaware. Just raise the price by a few bucks and be done with it for goodness sakes!! 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Seriously. I lived in the library as a kid in the 80's. I had a library card at 3 and could work a card catalog by the time I was in 1st grade. Melvil Dewey was my home boy. I was a "nerd" (still am) and I highly doubt those amazingly dedicated and quiet ladies who made me think being a librarian would be just about the coolest job ever had time to wipe down every single book (much less every page) with anti-microbial disinfectant. We have a very sturdy epidermis and an amazing immune system for a reason. I adore e-books as much as the next person and you will have to pry my Kindle "from my cold dead hands" but I highly doubt libraries anywhere are a vector for any disease. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The library on the Zuiderdam had its grand opening during the World Cruise. The grand opening was packed with people! HAL converted the screening room to be the library. Movies were shown in The Rolling Stone Lounge or World Stage.

Most of the books were gone within a few days. By the end of the cruise, the bookshelves were filled again. Not sure if everyone returned the loaned books or HAL purchased more.

There was no place to sit in the library initially. Eventually they brought in an uncomfortable chairs and a banquet table with a tablecloth on it. It definitely wasn’t a place to hang out like on the old Amsterdam.

the room looked like a bookstore with lit shelves which I thought was nice.