Specialty Dining Trickery

lgonquin

This is a new one on me.  Guess every cruise line has it's "uniquenesses".

Was shopping on-line this weekend to take advantage of the Memorial Day sales.  Found some good savings on shore excursions for our January 29, 2024 Panama Canal on the Beyond.

With all the positive reviews of the Beyond dining, I wanted to book a dining package.  Early in the weekend I noticed the 3 nt package for $114 p/p.  Saved it in my cart while I spent more time researching shore excursions.

Returned to my cart later in the weekend to find the 3 nt. gone from my cart.  Went to the dining package website to find it was gone there too.  Licking my wounds, I saw the 4 nt package for $138.  Thought that was a good deal and figured it's an 11 night cruise, why not do 4 nights in specialty!

Tried to book the 4 nt package, when I clicked myself, all was good.  When I clicked my wife, error!!!  A cute little message popped up that said "Sorry, we're stuffed.  No longer taking reservations."

Proceeded to call customer service and try to book on-line (40 minute wait).  Very nice gentlemen proceeded to tell me he did not see the 4 nt package on his computer.  Mind you, I was on my iPad looking at the screen that clearly showed 4 nts.  After several minutes on hold while the agent consulted his manager, he returned to tell me that the dining packages have limited availability and the 4 nt could NOT include my wife.  Apparently only room for one more passenger.

Has anyone come across this before?

Is this a clever way to bait & switch and upsell to a longer night dining package?

Very disappointed with how Celebrity customer service handled this.  As if one more person was going to break the kitchen, crash the reservation system, etc...???

• Haha 1

Sorry no one has explained to you that there are a limited number of packages available...

When available, book it do not tarry, otherwise one risks losing out.

As such, it is not bait and switch for delaying the purchase...

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, lgonquin said:

Thanks for the clarification.

But I'm still smitten! 😏

I fully understand, as it has happened to me and a few others around here... especially during a great sale...

bon voyage

Keep in mind that the draw back to any of the packages is you cannot make any reservations until you are onboard. The one time we tried a package we found we could not get any reservations we wanted and ended up canceling the package on day one.  That was an even more disappointing experience  in my book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lgonquin said:

Thanks for the clarification.

But I'm still smitten! 😏

You may still be able to book a package.  As higher suite guests get unlimited speciality dining and usually book through the shoreside concierge about two/three weeks prior to the cruise places are held back. At this point (about two weeks prior to cruise) a few packages may then be released. Worth it to keep checking.

Once on board there are still chances for bargains. Simply chat to the M’D of the speciality restaurants and ask if there are any special deals. If you are happy dining early or late then the chances of getting a discount is improved. One word of warning, however, friends of ours were in a RS, booked Fine Cut day 2 through the shoreside concierge, enjoyed it so much they tried to book it again later in the cruise and couldn’t so certain restaurants are more popular than others.

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

One word of warning, however, friends of ours were in a RS, booked Fine Cut day 2 through the shoreside concierge, enjoyed it so much they tried to book it again later in the cruise 

Sorry,  what is fine cut.  First time I heard that.

It is lack of imagination at the management level that there isn't some way for a supervisor to override the limit in the computer to add a single extra package.  Have it signed off by someone else, if needed, to make sure it's not being regularly abused.  But I agree with OP that it's dumb that a single extra package could not be made available.