Flight cancelled

We are due to take a 7 night cruise on Explorer on Sunday 4th June.  We’ve just been informed our flights been cancelled (Italian airport workers strike on Sunday).  Luckily for us our flights where arranged by RC so they are trying to sort it out for us (and I expect a lot of other people).

Anyone else in the same boat?  (Forgive the pun).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scouse mouse said:

We are due to take a 7 night cruise on Explorer on Sunday 4th June.  We’ve just been informed our flights been cancelled (Italian airport workers strike on Sunday).  Luckily for us our flights where arranged by RC so they are trying to sort it out for us (and I expect a lot of other people).

So sorry!  Check on your roll call.

19 minutes ago, scouse mouse said:

We had a similar situation last year except we were 15 minutes away from the airport when our flight was cancelled.  We had booked our flights through RC and they had us on a better flight (non stop) that was leaving only 30 minutes later.  They were wonderful in handling everything. Good luck!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, scouse mouse said:

alexgtp - the strikes only for one day 4/6/23.  It’s just typical it’s the day we were supposed to be flying to Italy.  

What company strikes for 1 day without a settlement of some kind? Weird

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What  are the results like on 1 day strikes like? Seems it would be pointless.

Don't disagree.  I know when we were planning our TA on Anthem from Southampton last October the one day walkouts of railroad workers affected planning for travel from London to Southampton.  Did seem strange. 

5 hours ago, scouse mouse said:

alexgtp - the strikes only for one day 4/6/23.  It’s just typical it’s the day we were supposed to be flying to Italy.  

Can you fly in on Saturday instead of Sunday?  If yes, May want to check out hotel availability or will a2s take care of that if only option is to fly in early?

Edited by Sunshine3601

We had a one-day strike happen, too.  [lots of drama last summer--pack your patience if you are flying] 

Last July we arrived at Dulles International Airport for our flight to Stockholm via Munich.  We went to the United lounge  to wait.  the agent there told us they could not let us fly out to Germany.  What we said?  they told us Lufthansa was having a one-day strike and they could not fly us to Germany and leave us stranded. 

After all we had been through [cancelled and rescheduled flight] and the many flight issues last summer we could not believe it.  However, we were lucky.  they called Lufthansa to see what they could do.  Since our flight arrive the next morning in Munich and it was only a one-day strike we were OK.  

We had scheduled 4 days in advance to see Stockholm, so we felt we would not miss out cruise if we were delayed.  

These one-day strikes show the powers that be what would happen if they had a real strike to deal with. I will say that Lufthansa did not have a longer strike.  So, maybe it worked. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

When my union did a one day strike, the goal was to send a message to the head honchos that we were willing and able to strike and that our community was behind us (few people crossed our picket lines).  It was effective.  We set another strike date a month later when they were still not coming to the table with a reasonable agreement, this new strike would have been indefinite.  They got the message and settled.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, gluecksbaer said:

When my union did a one day strike, the goal was to send a message to the head honchos that we were willing and able to strike and that our community was behind us (few people crossed our picket lines).  It was effective.  We set another strike date a month later when they were still not coming to the table with a reasonable agreement, this new strike would have been indefinite.  They got the message and settled.

Sounds like that isn't the case here since someone said they have alot of 1 day strikes in Europe....sounds to me like they just want another day off during the year type thing and they don't even care or not if pay is included or not...doesn't sound like any message is being sent to anyone.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Sounds like that isn't the case here since someone said they have alot of 1 day strikes in Europe....sounds to me like they just want another day off during the year type thing and they don't even care or not if pay is included or not...doesn't sound like any message is being sent to anyone.

No one goes on strike and loses a day's pay for fun.  People in Europe typically have plenty of time off they can use for fun too.  If one-day strikes are common there then presumably they are effective there as well.

• Like 1

I'm nervously watching my flight that is supposed to arrive in Italy on the 4th as well. It's been stressing me out every single day. It's currently listed as good to go on Lufthansa's website. The strike is supposed to be from 12-4pm, and our flight arrives at 5:40pm, so fingers crossed! We have a layover in Germany so hopefully that part happens, at least. Lots easier to get from Frankfurt to Venice than from Alaska to Frankfurt. 😆 We did NOT book flights through RC because we are flying into Venice a week before the cruise leaves, so.... we shall see!

• Like 1

One day strikes can be effective as they usually muck up the day before and after as well, they even plan them sometimes so they start at one day and end the next.  Of course it is easier for the unions to get people to lose one days pay and multiple one dayers can be very annoying especially if they select a high travel day.

We have a train strike today and it clashes with weekend travel after a half term break and two major sporting events.

• Like 2

So we got a call from RC at 6.45am to get a flight today for Vienna at 13.15, then another flight to Bologna this evening.  They’re putting us up in a hotel in Bologna but we don’t know which one yet (currently sitting having breakfast at the airport).  Happy holidays!!

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Doesn't matter if it is pointless in the U.S. It only makes sense in Europe.

I once was on an Italian train that stopped in the middle of no where for 3 hours during a strike. People got off and were walking around in the fields. When the strike ended the horn blew, anyone who had gotten off got back on, and the train started moving. It was an annoying three hours.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fishiecrackers said:

I'm nervously watching my flight that is supposed to arrive in Italy on the 4th as well. It's been stressing me out every single day. It's currently listed as good to go on Lufthansa's website. The strike is supposed to be from 12-4pm, and our flight arrives at 5:40pm, so fingers crossed! We have a layover in Germany so hopefully that part happens, at least. Lots easier to get from Frankfurt to Venice than from Alaska to Frankfurt. 😆 We did NOT book flights through RC because we are flying into Venice a week before the cruise leaves, so.... we shall see!

Oh wow, and effective 4 hour strike.

They must have a great negotiator to get things done that fast.

Wonder what they could achieve by taking a whole week?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Doesn't matter if it is pointless in the U.S. It only makes sense in Europe.

I once was on an Italian train that stopped in the middle of no where for 3 hours during a strike. People got off and were walking around in the fields. When the strike ended the train started moving. 

Agree with OB, the Italian one day strike is the last day of British holidays half term holidays. It very effective if you suddenly have to find another nights accommodation, miss a days work, miss a school day etc.  Maximum disruptions for minimum loss of pay for the strikers. 

In the UK we've had one and two day strikes on the railways for months now. Always timed for greatest effect and affects previous day and following days services too.  Thankfully we came back from Sicily a couple of days ago and our family came back yesterday.

@scouse mouseglad you've had a resolution, enjoy your cruise 

• Like 2