NCL Dawn poor performance by room steward so far

SpainAlien

I boarded yesterday and duly waited for the 3pm announcement that my cabin was ready.  Unfortunately mine wasn't actually ready until 5pm and even then there was 1/2 a bottle of water from the last guest in the fridge, all the daily print outs from the last cruise were in the rack with the room service menu, the sink hadn't been cleaned and there was some sort of foam dried on to the shower head.

Clearly my steward was running late for some reason and ran out of time before actually finishing the job, hopefully when he makes up the room today he will catch up.

• Like 1

I was on Dawn back in March and imo they are very short staffed. I actually saw my steward once the entire cruise, it was always late afternoon before our cabin was done, for us no biggie, it was always clean and tidy when finished.

The Bimini bar was always slammed with long lines waiting for drinks, that is the only outdoor smoking area so that may have contributed to it being slammed.

All I can say is have your patience ready and enjoy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I boarded yesterday and duly waited for the 3pm announcement that my cabin was ready.  Unfortunately mine wasn't actually ready until 5pm and even then there was 1/2 a bottle of water from the last guest in the fridge, all the daily print outs from the last cruise were in the rack with the room service menu, the sink hadn't been cleaned and there was some sort of foam dried on to the shower head.

Clearly my steward was running late for some reason and ran out of time before actually finishing the job, hopefully when he makes up the room today he will catch up.

Seems like very very very very very minor issues. But it is your right to make it a big deal.. Better taken up with your room steward. 

• Like 7

Recent Star 

3pm for cabins is a good sign they are not putting enough people on turn around when most are vacating their cabins by 8am   

Ours were ready but had a couple of  issues on entry doing our checks

One was a daily from 2 cruises previous tucked away in one cupboard

The other a bathroom cleaning oversite in the shower stall.

Sorted very quickly along with our standard requests so no further action needed

Our cabin steward was super nice and attentive all cruise

We could see they just did not have enough time to do the work load

With your level of room not prepared it would have needed a call to the steward and if no number or not receptive,  housekeeping would want it sorted before unpacking.

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Seems like very very very very very minor issues. But it is your right to make it a big deal.. Better taken up with your room steward. 

Maybe to you it’s very very very minor but to others maybe not so minor

I was on Dawn in late March and imo they are very under staffed in many areas

• Like 16

31 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

I have just got back onboard at 13.30 and my room still isn't made up and my room service tray is still here.

Our cabin on Dawn wasn’t done until 3:30-4:00 every single day. It wasn’t an issue for us but I can see where it could be an issue for many.

Unfortunately you’re going to have to have patience as imo the ship is understaffed in many areas through no fault of the crew

Edited by njkate
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I know what you are saying but what it means is that my room was not cleaned after the previous guests. 

• Like 23

25 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Actually, it is a big deal, not against the cabin stewards, but against NCL.  With cruising, we expect a premium experience.  NCL's staffing issues are changing a part of that and screwing the cabin stewards with too much work and not enough time, and then they unfairly catch the irritation of many of the guests because their work overload cannot provide the level of service we once experienced.    Twenty five cruises and I've seen how it was and how it is now.  Realizing towel animals were just a fun thing and disliked by many guests, they still provided just a moment of the happy experience that a cruise was providing.  

• Like 21

20 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

I know what you are saying but what it means is that my room was not cleaned after the previous guests. 

I also do not think it is a very very very very very minor issue and would not appreciate if our cabin was not turned around properly and on time.

• Like 24

35 minutes ago, shof515 said:

all cruise lines is cutting back on room stewards and assigning them double the work. i notice it on all my previous on all major cruise lines

We have done a few MSC in the last 6 months they were all still full cabin service with appropriate time often done while at breakfast if they spotted us leaving and we put the sign on  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

This is quite serious.

Left over stuff prom a previous guest in a prominent storage location with NCL information.

That areas should be totally cleared as part of the clean down process and then reset after sanitation or replaced with new items..

Hope the OP check the sheets.

• Like 14

Concur, not a minor issue to the OP ... especially now that it is already on Day 2 (Dawn on an European cruise ... ).  IMHO, that's below acceptable "standards" in our definition and we have extended families that work in hospitality including hotel departments ... Perhaps, s/he simply forgot about finishing up the cabin(s) while rushing to do the basics, hopefully, the room was sanitized and clean for embarkation, sheets & pillow cases changed (not simply refreshed) etc.  Or, maybe s/he wasn't feeling well.  

From the stateroom's interactive TV screen, his/her name & contact method should be listed (a directly dialed extension #) or could just be routed to someone in housekeeping, kindly call to inform the person answering your cabin # and that it wasn't done since embarkation, and you need someone to attend to it, as soon as practical.   Not serious enough to escalate higher & call up the head of housekeeping, yet but perhaps have a chat with the room attendant and/or his/her assist manager responsible for the deck/section.  Housekeeping team members have a list and sheet to check-off up to 22 staterooms, and perhaps, just perhaps, not added or assigned ??  

Last but not least, is your stateroom equipped with one of those "Do Not Disturb" button, dial or buttons set, double check & maybe you need to "flip" or change it to get it clean.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

These room stewards work their derrière off and you’re still complaining?  SMDH!!!!!!

Let him/her know what was left behind.  I’m betting he’ll take care of it for you!

You’re okay with checking into a dirty cabin? I’m a frequent traveler and don’t have the highest of standards (ie late service wouldn’t bother me) but arriving as a new guest into a cabin where the bathroom hasn’t been properly cleaned is not acceptable. At all. And makes me wonder what else was overlooked. 

• Like 28

1 minute ago, BunnyHutt said:

You’re okay with checking into a dirty cabin? I’m a frequent traveler and don’t have the highest of standards (ie late service wouldn’t bother me) but arriving as a new guest into a cabin where the bathroom hasn’t been properly cleaned is not acceptable. At all. And makes me wonder what else was overlooked. 

I have traveled and cruised enough to know that it does no good to besmirch crew here for any shortcomings.  In my experience, let the steward know what was left behind and let them correct it.  They want nothing more than to make sure you’re happy.  Their tips and ratings depend on that.  Barring that, if it continues, then go to Customer Service and let them know.  They will get the crew member’s manager involved.

Complaining here about a steward doesn’t help anyone.  And, if you want it addressed, the place to do that is on board.

Crew work hard.  I’m likely to cut them some slack if they overlooked something in the cabin.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It happens. In 30+ cruises on numerous lines I'm happy to say that only once have we had a poor steward...and someone else took over for her halfway thru the cruise! (no idea why)

When we sailed the Encore in Dec we definitely felt the labor shortage--is is due to labor supply issues? Hopefully not due to cost cutting attempts. 

The crew works incredibly hard...it is likely they were interrupted & forgot they had not finished. (sink/showerhead) I can always overlook those things that are hard to see--papers tucked away, bottle in fridge. (likely the last things they do are a final sweep of those spots) No skin off my back to toss them in the trash. 

Since they are only cleaning 1x/day & likely have more cabins because of that, I'm not surprised if my room isn't cleaned until later in the afternoon--there is nothing that says when it will be done daily.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I have traveled and cruised enough to know that it does no good to besmirch crew here for any shortcomings.  In my experience, let the steward know what was left behind and let them correct it.  They want nothing more than to make sure you’re happy.  Their tips and ratings depend on that.  Barring that, if it continues, then go to Customer Service and let them know.  They will get the crew member’s manager involved.

Complaining here about a steward doesn’t help anyone.  And, if you want it addressed, the place to do that is on board.

Crew work hard.  I’m likely to cut them some slack if they overlooked something in the cabin.

I do not disagree with you that complaining on here doesn’t accomplish anything onboard.  I was merely reacting to the fact that you implied that the OP shouldn’t be complaining (at all) that their cabin was not properly turned over. And a dirty sink and shower from a previous occupant are more than just “overlooking something,” it’s just plain gross. 

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

I do not disagree with you that complaining on here doesn’t accomplish anything onboard.  I was merely reacting to the fact that you implied that the OP shouldn’t be complaining (at all) that their cabin was not properly turned over. And a dirty sink and shower from a previous occupant are more than just “overlooking something,” it’s just plain gross. 

I agree not having the cabin ready when cabins are officially open is a problem. However, with staffing cuts and once a day cabin cleaning, one should not expect the cabin being cleaned in the morning or even early afternoon, some are still getting cleaned up until 6 pm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Its not clear why the steward was not around for the op to have the shortcomings addressed that evening.

Or why they did not start the rectify process.

Maybe they did but forgot to mention it.

Afternoon cabin service is not unusual when there is too much to do we find being flexible works but make sure they know when you want the morning on the days you need it.

22 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

I mentioned that the cabin stewards work hard.  And, if they missed something that should have been taken care of, letting them know allows them rectify the situation, keeps them from getting "dinged" on the all important survey, and out of the "dog house" with their manager.  

Now, if it persists, then a trip to the Customer Service desk is in order.

No one here will be able to rectify the situation, however and it turns into yet another "whine" fest that every cruise line gets.  

Let them know about the issue so they can fix it.  

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If my room had a dirty sink and shower was not properly cleaned on turn over day, I would think that was not good! I would contact the steward and let them know they needed to come to my room and clean the sink. I would not be mad, but would calmly explain that it had been overlooked. As far as the OP stating that the room still had not been cleaned at 1:30, that is not a big deal. With the new system, some rooms will not be done until later in the afternoon. Minor issues that can be easily resolved by speaking tp your steward. 

• Like 1