Sapphire Princess to the Rescue!

roadster08

ReportingPXL_20230605_170451867.thumb.jpg.39ca5b0822b07c4d9de53e769f1e87a0.jpg from bow of sapphire princess.

We started Glacier Bay and captain reported we are assisting in recovering 52 passengers from a disabled ship that had a fire this morning. Nobody hurt thankfully. 

We just launched one of our tenders to pick up the passengers from the Wilderness Discoverer. 

Edited by roadster08
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

Reporing from bow of sapphire princess.

We started Glacier Bay and captain reported we are assisting in recovering 52 passengers from a disabled ship that had a fire this morning. Nobody hurt thankfully. 

We just launched one of our tenders to pick up the passengers from the Wilderness Discoverer. 

wow! Happy to hear no one was hurt, and that all were safely removed from the disabled vessel 😊 

9 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

for anyone interested it Looks like the wilderness discoverer is a ro-ro 

It's a 1992 passenger only vessel for UnCruise with a max capacity for 84 passengers. 

Sapphire still standing off about 1/3 mile to the north.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

It's a 1992 passenger only vessel for UnCruise with a max capacity for 84 passengers. 

Sapphire still standing off about 1/3 mile to the north.

Apologies. I’ve just re-read the detail I have on marine traffic properly.

i only have basic info available & I misunderstood the ship info that it gave me,  “ro-ro/passenger ship”, to mean it IS a ro-ro not OR a ro-ro 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

thank you for pointing that out!

12 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

No apologies needed. We have friends who were on that ship last year. 

@roadster08, let us know how thing go, OK? Best thought to passengers and crew.

The passengers and crew from the wilderness discoverer are now on the sapphire. The Coast guard is on site and we are still floating about 200 yd from the discoverer. We are awaiting okay from Coast guard so we can resume our cruise on Glacier Bay. It is about 10:30 a.m. and this began sometime around 8:30 a.m.

• Like 2

@roadster08,The Majestic Princess is also heading your way, presently about 15 miles south at 17 kts. Don't know if this is their usual route or more assistance. I'll watch the bridge cams of both ships. Thanks for responding!

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

. The passengers from the wilderness discoverer were told to transfer to another ship by the Coast guard, according to the captain,. They were in the process of being settled into cabins on the sapphire but that plan changed. As soon as they were transferred, a new situation developed.

Now, one of the sapphire passengers has a medical emergency and we are awaiting a helicopter to evacuate him/her. We are still drifting in the same spot we have been in since around 8:30 a.m.. it is now noon. Fortunately, although the sky is heavily overcast, there are only light winds and no rain. Awaiting work from the captain if we are going to cruise Glacier Bay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh my goodness. Thank you for updating us. Those poor pax and crew on Discoverer. That must have been frightening to some (it would be for me). What ship did they transfer to? Did Majestic show up too? And a med evac on Sapphire? I hope you get to see Glacier Bay at some point. Keep us updated, and stay safe. I'll be on her in about 10 days.

3 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Apologies. I’ve just re-read the detail I have on marine traffic properly.

i only have basic info available & I misunderstood the ship info that it gave me,  “ro-ro/passenger ship”, to mean it IS a ro-ro not OR a ro-ro 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

thank you for pointing that out!

Still no idea what a ro-ro ship is.  Not to make light of things, but I thought that the original reference was suggesting that it is a ship with lots of problems, as in...

Beater Chic...”rat rods” have entered the drum scene | Page 3 | [DFO] Drum  Forum

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Still no idea what a ro-ro ship is.  Not to make light of things, but I thought that the original reference was suggesting that it is a ship with lots of problems, as in...

Beater Chic...”rat rods” have entered the drum scene | Page 3 | [DFO] Drum  Forum

roll on...roll off....a car ferry

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

I thought the same thing...

• Haha 1

The captain just announced that we are proceeding directly to the ranger station to drop off the rangers and then to the drop off point for the pilots. We are not going to go to the glaciers today. Tomorrow, we are planning to go as scheduled to college fjord.

The helicopter came about an hour ago to evacuate the passenger with the medical emergency.

It is now approximately 3:15 p.m.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There might already be a thread on this topic, but I didn't see it in a quick look.  If so I apologize for posting, but it seems that Sapphire Princess helped to rescue the passengers and crew of a smaller ship that had a fire in Glacier Bay.  New York Post Story is here:  Passengers, crew rescued from Alaska cruise ship in Glacier Bay National Park (nypost.com)

It's nice to see a Princess ship get some positive publicity for a change...🔥

• Like 1

Here you go:

Great to be part of a rescue but the Coast Guard kept the Sapphire there all day and they missed seeing the Glaciers. (They also had a helicopter evacuation.)

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Here you go:

Great to be part of a rescue but the Coast Guard kept the Sapphire there all day and they missed seeing the Glaciers. (They also had a helicopter evacuation.)

Yup, only got half-way and turned around and then also had a medical emergency helicopter 🚁 lift (two rare events altogether) — suffice to say a very eventful day. They evacuated the Wilderness Explorer onto the ship w/ luggage into the Savoy dining hall. They stayed only a little bit to be placed on another ship, but still had to be on the scene by the Coast Guard (not sure the maritime rules but required to stay on scene till released even after all the Wilderness Explorer guest and ships all left - we babysit the ship till the tug boat came). 

Amazing scenery none the less, so if being rescued not a bad place to do it. 

Yeah we totally missed Glacier Bay 😭, so trying to make the most of the remaining trip at College Fjords today. Oh and if anyone curious yeah you can get AT&T service while sailing along the Alaska coast (it’s spotty and only open areas — ie: deck 7 next to the windows - crooner’s bar).

Happy sailing 🚢!!!!

IMG_6132.jpeg

IMG_6136.jpeg

IMG_6154.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WetPenguin said:

They evacuated the Wilderness Explorer onto the ship w/ luggage into the Savoy dining hall. They stayed only a little bit to be placed on another ship

I watched Marinetraffic yesterday, It looked like the Baranof Wind took the passengers. That's Glacier Bay's day cruise vessel, operation from Bartlet Cove. So most likely they were taken to Glacier Bay Lodge or Gustavus airport.

Edit: Your last photo shows the Baranof Wind. 😄

Edited by EDVM96

It’s wonderful Princsss came to the rescue and  ironic that a CRUISE ship was needed to help out the UNcruise ship. I’m so happy no one was injured in the fire. It’s sad you guys had to miss Glacier Bay, though. 

Edited by cruisequeen4ever