Shorts in the dinning room

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I wonder what the dress code police do when out to eat in their daily lives.  I seriously doubt they give looks or huff and puff.

I assure you... my MIL is just as judgy about people's dress in restaurants on land...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I wonder what the dress code police do when out to eat in their daily lives.  I seriously doubt they give looks or huff and puff.

So, I have a “friend who married a rich guy”.  We have monthly date nights, at places that range from great but cheap to $$$$.  At first, DH and I would fret about dressing up.  Then I realized our friends, and 1/2 the people there, just wore whatever, and no one cares.  So now, we wear whatever we feel like, and we NEVER pay attention to what other people wear.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

But this is a viewpoint from the center...

I've always viewed Formal Night as a chance to dress up and get pictures taken.  I wonder how many people dressed down buy pictures? 

How 'centrist' of you to label others as 'dressing down' in comparison to your choice of dressing.

Once the study of the 'dressing down' people eating in dining rooms has been conducted by other concerned passengers of the center viewpoint & their photos taken perhaps a buy one get one photo sale will entice the dressing down crowd to purchase. How are your camera skills?

29 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Then I realized our friends, and 1/2 the people there, just wore whatever, and no one cares.  So now, we wear whatever we feel like, and we NEVER pay attention to what other people wear.

As a good friend I suspect you will brace your rich friends for the critique they will incur if cruising, from fellow passengers whose meal has been ruined based on the clothing attire of others.😁

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Superior without a doubt (in this specific example)

Superior is not a word I would use here.  Dressing formal is not superior. 

Certain places required formal dress - wedding, funeral, some religious services.  I think any of us have noticed a decline in these social norms.  And that's not a bad thing.  We, as a society, have the right to determine our social norms.  Our parents and grandparents dressed ed to fly on a plane.  We don't.

And its nothing any of us should be offended by!  We live in the present.

33 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

How 'centrist' of you to label others as 'dressing down' in comparison to your choice of dressing.

Once the study of the 'dressing down' people eating in dining rooms has been conducted by other concerned passengers of the center viewpoint & their photos taken perhaps a buy one get one photo sale will entice the dressing down crowd to purchase. How are your camera skills?

"Dressing down" was not intended as a slight.  Perhaps dressing casual would have been a better choice of words.  Its amazing the nuisances people read into words.

24 minutes ago, MD_Dan said:

"Dressing down" was not intended as a slight.  Perhaps dressing casual would have been a better choice of words.  Its amazing the nuisances people read into words.

No one knows what any of it means. “ dressing casual” for dinner (on the ship or on land), usually means slacks and a polo type shirt for my husband and slacks and a nice top or sundress for me.

Then there are others who  define “dressing casual”  as shorts and a T-shirt.  

Both can be used, and are  fine. 

Wear what you want, as dressy or as casual as it may be, and enjoy the cruise.

m

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

And yet you chose those exact words to convey your 'centrist' point of view.

"Perhaps dressing causal would have been a better choice". Perhaps, really?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

And its nothing any of us should be offended by!  We live in the present.

Still you termed and compared people "dressing down" to purchases of photos where there is no relationship between the two nor any need to.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Still you termed and compared people "dressing down" to purchases of photos where there is no relationship between the two nor any need to.

Meadowlander,

We are arguing about a two-letter word!  "Dressing up" is a common expression.  I imagine you have used this word in your lifetime.  The opposite of up is down.  But I did retract that choice of wording

You have taken my poor choice of words (which I corrected) to imply I'm an elitist "in this specific example".  

We came to the same conclusion from two very different points of view.  Can we agree to shake hands and stop attacking my character?

The dress code on Royal is a "Suggestion", not a policy or you could say that their policy is a suggestion.  Dress as you like, whatever YOUR definition of "Formal" or "Casual" is.  I think most of us who don't let the food or experience in the various venues get ruined by other's appearance (within reason) care what people wear.  I, for one, will dress as I feel, not what someone else feels I should. 

Just enjoy your cruise and don't worry what others think!   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Dress as you like, whatever YOUR definition of "Formal" or "Casual" is. 

And this is precisely the crux of the problem: One's definition of "Casual" may be a woman in a wet bikini, or a man in his whitey tighties and shower shoes in the MDR on formal night.

By your comment, this would be acceptable to you?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

And this is precisely the crux of the problem: One's definition of "Casual" may be a woman in a wet bikini, or a man in his whitey tighties and shower shoes in the MDR on formal night.

Exactly right.

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Who cares. Way above my pay grade and concern. If RC staff gives them a pass, so be it. Must fit their definition. Has no effect on our experience. Just like dudes that wearing fedoras.  🤣

• Like 3

On 7/6/2023 at 3:12 PM, meadowlander said:

As a good friend I suspect you will brace your rich friends for the critique they will incur if cruising, from fellow passengers whose meal has been ruined based on the clothing attire of others.😁

Lol, they cruise all the time… and you should see the shirts he wears to formal night… if you ever see a bigger guy, with grey hair and a tacocat or lazercat t-shirt for formal night, tell him Lisa and Jason say hi 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

Meadowlander,

We are arguing about a two-letter word!  "Dressing up" is a common expression.  I imagine you have used this word in your lifetime.  The opposite of up is down.  But I did retract that choice of wording

You have taken my poor choice of words (which I corrected) to imply I'm an elitist "in this specific example".  

We came to the same conclusion from two very different points of view.  Can we agree to shake hands and stop attacking my character?

It was not an attack on your character and I am at a loss as to why you would draw that conclusion.

Dressing up is a common expression still there was no need for you to label others who standards of dress do not meet your expectations as "dressing down". That was a poor choice of words at a minimum.

I am glad you retracted that expression and through dialogue we both have the same conclusion as to dressing guidelines issued by the cruise line as opposed to the expectations and wishes of fellow cruisers.

44 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

It was not an attack on your character and I am at a loss as to why you would draw that conclusion.

Meadowlander,

Where I come from, anyone who does anything to make them feel "superior" is a bad thing.  I don't think this is the goal of ANYBODY dressing formally.

You correctly defended an earlier post when someone referenced "trailer park" in defining people who didn't dress to their standards.  As a person whose family once lived in a trailer park, I applauded you!  THAT was an attack on a particular group of people.  But you turn around and refer to a poster's "rich friends."  THAT was an attack also.  In each case, a point was enhanced by throwing a specific group of people under the bus.  See how the nuisances can get a person in trouble?

Cost of clothing is not a class thing.  There are men's suits that cost less then high-end athletic shoes!  In the end, people want to "look good."  And that differs from person to person.

You correctly called me out on my statement regarding the relationship between photos and and clothing.  So I'd like to explain ... IMHO, "Formal Night" is an RCL gimmick to sell photos.  People dress formally and get a professional picture.  We have NEVER purchased a photo package from RCL.  I'd love to know how many have.  The photographers have to go!  But RCL will keep them as long as there is $$$ to be made!

35 minutes ago, MD_Dan said:

you turn around and refer to a poster's "rich friends."  THAT was an attack also.  In each case, a point was enhanced by throwing a specific group of people under the bus.  See how the nuisances can get a person in trouble?

I certainly understand how nuance leads to misinterpretation and being wrong.

You should reread the original post in which 'rich friends' was posted and you should reread my post using that term along with an emoji. By reading that poster's second post you will learn they did not conclude it as being an attack, yet somehow you did.

You originally blamed me for your use of the uncalled for & insulting term, due to the 'nuisance' I read into it which you now admit was in error on your part. You now falsely accuse me of an 'attack' due to your interpretation. I am so glad you wanted to shake hands resulting in an ending, rather than continue or escalate.

Edited by meadowlander

2 hours ago, meadowlander said:

I certainly understand how nuance leads to misinterpretation and being wrong.

You should reread the original post in which 'rich friends' was posted and you should reread my post using that term along with an emoji. By reading that poster's second post you will learn they did not conclude it as being an attack, yet somehow you did.

You originally blamed me for your use of the uncalled for & insulting term, due to the 'nuisance' I read into it which you now admit was in error on your part. You now falsely accuse me of an 'attack' due to your interpretation. I am so glad you wanted to shake hands resulting in an ending, rather than continue or escalate.

Meadowlander,

Lets go back to shaking hands!  I was just trying to show that it is easy to offend someone.  I once said "Holy Cow" and a person of the Hindu faith was offended.  She said, "Yes, cows ARE holy!"

We agree on so much.  I'm sorry again for my choice of words.  Lets end this thread as friends!

Hello,

I waited until page 23 before I even opened this thread so sorry if this has already been said.

If you chop off the legs mid-thigh of the people wearing the shorts, then they would not be shorts any more would they.

Regards,

Cublet