Help?? 32 Days from cruise. Mom just broke her leg. No trip insurance.

Sorry to hear about your mom’s broken leg.  Having a broken bone that requires surgery and hardware, is her doctor going to have her on blood thinners for the next few months?

I flew to Japan and Korea 4 months after my 2nd surgery after I fell off my roof in 2018.  My son was stationed there so there was no way I was cancelling despite the number of fractures. I was still on blood thinners but not the injections at that point so my surgeon cleared me to fly.  If your mom does go and is on crutches, some things that might help:

1.  Pay extra for at least comfort plus or first class.  This is one time when it’s worth it to be able to stretch out the leg.

2. Pack both the kind of ice packs that you fill with ice cubes and the mini instant ice packs.

3. If she doesn’t already, buy gel pads for the crutches.  Also, there are special traction tips that would be good for Alaska since it tends to rain a lot.

I would hope that the cruise line will let you move the cruise if that’s what you decide to do.  Speedy healing to your mom, and good luck with her PT.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

How did surgery go?

57 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just curious how old is your Mother, younger the better. They can deal with this much better and are faster healing.

Thank you for asking. The surgery went very well. She is 77 years old but a very healthy 77. She is still on the treadmill every day.  She broke her other femur about five years ago and that healed very well.  She does have some minor bone density issues like many her age. I guess she likes to do things in pairs. 🙂

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 11

Just now, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Wow, chill.

Anyway, regarding the possible travel in a wheelchair. You don’t have an accessible room so that does complicate things. Ie. can’t get through the door…. will a scooter fit? 

If it is like the last time, she would just have a long, soft but immobile leg brace on. Her hip is still mobile so she could still get up and walk for short distances when necessary.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, moposh said:

I've seen people on crutches etc. on cruises ...

I was going to say the same thing.  She has a month before the trip.  I'd assume she'll have time to get over the initial pain and swelling, and she'll have become accustomed to getting around with the cast by cruise time.  If she goes with lowered expectations, I'd say GO.  

6 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

... Either way the 25% cruise fare refund isn't worth all that much anyway, only about $900 ...

Plus the air fare.  

6 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

... It is a real bummer if they can't end up going.  This cruise was all about them and their four children's families all going to Alaska together.  We have 6 balcony cabins booked on this cruise between my parents and my siblings' families ... 

All the more reason she should try her best to go!  It'd be really sad to miss a big family trip, and this means she'd have plenty of family to push her wheelchair, bring her this-or-that from the buffet, and generally make her trip easier.  This isn't the same as her husband alone helping her!  

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Wishing your mom a speedy recovery.

Yes, this above all!  

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Sorry - going to be that judgemental person - this is why travel insurance is necessary. If someone chooses not to purchase it because they have never, ever had the need for it, no point coming here asking for a sympathetic ear.

The OP seems to be wearing her big girl panties.  She's looking for options, not whining. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Which I did - why is the OP not contacting the cruise line or travel agent involved? Are total strangers actually going to provide him / her with an accurate response?

Have you thought of the fact that my dad has been sitting in the emergency room and waiting room since this happened?  He's still at the hospital and is just now getting to see her after surgery.  Yeah, that's exactly what's on his mind right now, calling Royal Caribbean.  This is their reservation made directly with Royal so he will be contacting them when he can, with the options.

It's been a busy hectic day.  I'll be reaching out to Royal tomorrow as well, when I can, as planned.

Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it?  Insurance only makes sense when you need it.  Don't try to scold me, or others, when they don't purchase it.  So far, our family is FAR ahead not purchasing it. (see my comments below)  In that odd chance something comes up when insurance would have helped, so be it.  We're fine with that.  I never said otherwise. 

1 minute ago, BND said:

This situation is why I am glad we always buy insurance.  Almost 4 years ago I broke my fibula and dislocated my ankle and kneecap.  No way I could cruise after surgery on my ankle.  Ankle wasn't the issue.  Knee was. But, that said, insurance covered everything so no need to figure out how to handle it all.  Sometimes people need to learn from other's experience.  We bought insurance, the OP's family didn't.  Insurance made it all so much easier.

I respect your decisions.  Glad that you are happy with your decisions, as are we, as are my parents.  There is always going to be the decision of whether or not trip insurance is worth it.  This thread was not meant for that.  They didn't purchase it.  We didn't purchase it.  Maybe next time they will. We do purchase standalone medical and evac insurance for cruises to locations where it makes sense. 

To date, we are far ahead not purchasing it.  With the cruising we've done to date, and how frequently we've cruised, it would have easily cost our family two full cruises if we had purchased trip insurance every time.  We are still far ahead not purchasing it, but know the risk and are o.k. with that.  So far, we are the smart ones not buying it so we don't need to learn from anyone's experiences. 

I've probably spent about $90,000 in car insurance over the last 30 years, with about $4000 total in claims.  Who won in that situation?  Not us.

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I was going to say the same thing.  She has a month before the trip.  I'd assume she'll have time to get over the initial pain and swelling, and she'll have become accustomed to getting around with the cast by cruise time.  If she goes with lowered expectations, I'd say GO.  

Plus the air fare.  

All the more reason she should try her best to go!  It'd be really sad to miss a big family trip, and this means she'd have plenty of family to push her wheelchair, bring her this-or-that from the buffet, and generally make her trip easier.  This isn't the same as her husband alone helping her!  

Yes, this above all!  

The OP seems to be wearing her big girl panties.  She's looking for options, not whining. 

Love your comments.  Thank you.  My dad said she initially didn't think the cruise was a possibility so soon with her leg and all, but warmed up to the idea of giving it a try right before she went in for surgery.

However, I'm a guy.  Dan.  No worries, I used to sign all my posts with -Dan, but that got tedious.  I'm a "He", and no I don't use pronouns.  LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I hope your mom heal well and that the surgeon allows her to travel.

If she is not allowed to fly, in addition to driving your parents might also consider Amtrak.  I’m not an expert but I believe they have some accessible facilities and some roomier booking options.  They might enjoy the train.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Love your comments.  Thank you.  My dad said she initially didn't think the cruise was a possibility so soon with her leg and all, but warmed up to the idea of giving it a try right before she went in for surgery.

However, I'm a guy.  Dan.  No worries, I used to sign all my posts with -Dan, but that got tedious.  I'm a "He", and no I don't use pronouns.  LOL

Good luck.  I'd wait until at least until tomorrow before making any decisions.   Too many emotions and unknowns at this point. Sleep on it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

... I've probably spent about $90,000 in car insurance over the last 30 years, with about $4000 total in claims.  Who won in that situation?  Not us.

Drive down the road and look at the HUGE BUILDINGS owned by insurance companies.  They win most of the time.  

26 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

... However, I'm a guy.  Dan.  No worries, I used to sign all my posts with -Dan, but that got tedious.  I'm a "He", and no I don't use pronouns.  LOL

Oops -- sorry, Dan.  So I should've said you're wearing your big boy boxers?  

But "he" and "I" are pronouns.  

11 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

... If she is not allowed to fly, in addition to driving your parents might also consider Amtrak.  I’m not an expert but I believe they have some accessible facilities and some roomier booking options.  They might enjoy the train.

We've done a couple train trips, and we've enjoyed them.  A few notes, though I only know about the regular seats (not sleeping cabins): 

- Amtrak seats are larger /more comfortable than airplane seats, and everyone gets an electrical outlet.  

- Every car has two "double seats" -- I think they're all the way at the back -- with two seats facing one another (instead of all facing forward).  Those seats'd allow for more leg room -- could be ideal for a person with a cast.  I wonder if a call ahead could reserve those larger seats?  

- Each car has a spot at the front for large luggage storage, and you'll have a rack above your head that'll hold a backpack for your in-transit needs.  

- Bring your own food.  The food in the cafe car is expensive (for what it is) and not very good.  The cafe car sells hot /cold drinks, and each car has a water filler at the front.  

- The bathrooms aren't always pleasant ... pack Clorox wipes.  

- The train is only slightly faster than traveling by covered wagon.  

10 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Good luck.  I'd wait until at least until tomorrow before making any decisions.   Too many emotions and unknowns at this point. Sleep on it.

I was going to say the same thing.  Likely your mom's miserable right now, so it's not the time to make the decision. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Anyway, regarding the possible travel in a wheelchair. You don’t have an accessible room so that does complicate things. Ie. can’t get through the door…. will a scooter fit? 

This is a non-issue.  A standard (non-bariatric) motorized scooter WILL fit through a balcony room door.  If the room has a coffee table, you can ask the room attendant to remove it to allow extra room to park the scooter in front of the sofa. 

You can also request a shower chair that will fit in a standard room's shower-tube.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My recommendation is to talk to the surgeon and use their judgment.  

Unless there are weird complications (that her surgeon will be the one to ask about), I would think that a transport chair or wheelchair to use in the airports and hotel, plus a motorized scooter on the ship (to allow your mom some independence rather than needing to be pushed everywhere), would be sufficient to allow both of your parents to take the cruise.  

I regularly travel with friends in wheelchairs (one paraplegic, one amputee), and Royal and their employees are very helpful to the point of bending over backwards to accommodate those with special needs.  If I can help with any questions, please let me know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I want to thank all of you that showed so much care for my mom and for your helpful input.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  They are going to try to give it a go, but reality might prove otherwise.  Here’s hoping, and praying.

Just like the previous poster, whose son had a rod placed in his femur from knee to hip, that is what my mom had done today.  Now that it’s stable hopefully it will provide more and more confidence over the coming weeks!  

Thanks again for your time to post and for your kindness.   It’s been a long day,  we’ll certainly sleep well on it. 😊

-Dan 

• Like 22

10 minutes ago, brillohead said:

My recommendation is to talk to the surgeon and use their judgment.  

Unless there are weird complications (that her surgeon will be the one to ask about), I would think that a transport chair or wheelchair to use in the airports and hotel, plus a motorized scooter on the ship (to allow your mom some independence rather than needing to be pushed everywhere), would be sufficient to allow both of your parents to take the cruise.  

I regularly travel with friends in wheelchairs (one paraplegic, one amputee), and Royal and their employees are very helpful to the point of bending over backwards to accommodate those with special needs.  If I can help with any questions, please let me know.

Thank you.  I might take you up on that. 👍🏼

• Like 1

@The Fun Researcher Sorry to hear about your mom. Glad that surgery went well and hopefully they have her on some decent pain pills for now. 😁 Like the other poster said PT will make a big difference. Hope your parents are able to go and have a great family vacation. Keep us updated on how she is doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

You can most likely lower your auto insurance coverage, add a $1MM Umbrella policy, and pay very little, if any, more than your current auto premium.  Maybe save more if you can lower your homeowner coverage.

Looked into it, but is nearly the same price for an umbrella versus the same coverage I have for all our policies.  Michigan is “unique” 

Edited by The Fun Researcher

@The Fun Researcher, I’m sorry to hear about you Mom’s injury, but glad to hear that her surgery was successful. Hopefully her recovery will go well and her doctor will think she’s ok to go on your cruise. 

My own surgical experiences have been slightly different than your Mom’s but some of the things I’ve learned from mine still apply.

1) Definitely keep the lines of communication open with her doctor and go by what the doctor says will be best for her. 
2) Physical therapy will be very important for her long term recovery. Her PT can most likely give her exercises to do even while she is on the ship if she’s able to go. Some exercises she’ll be able to do on her own in the room. Depending on where she’s at in her recovery she may be able to use the gym on board the ship as well. I was farther out in my recovery than I think your Mom will be and found a number of the exact same machines that I was already using on my own in PT available in the ship’s gym, and took full advantage of them. I didn’t try anything new, just what I was already doing and what my doctor and PT recommended for me.

3) I’d definitely suggest a scooter for her to use during the cruise. She will tire out much more easily than she normally would, and having her own scooter will give her a sense of independence that a wheelchair would because she won’t want to “bother” any of you with having to push her around. While I’m sure none of your family members would feel it was a bother to be pushing her, if she’s anything like me - and I suspect she is since she still wants to go on the cruise - she will want to do as much as she can for herself.

4) What worked best for me when I wanted to walk rather than ride was a walker as opposed to a cane or crutches. I was not very stable on my feet early on in any of me recoveries and the walker gave me the best chance of remaining upright. I always felt very secure and stable on my feet when using the walker. Not so much with the cane or crutches, although I never fell with any of them. I do wish at times that I’d had a walker with a seat option instead of the standard one that I had because it would have given me the option to take a break and sit if I needed to or even to have someone push me if necessary. We live near WDW and I did a lot of traveling around the Orlando area theme parks during my various recoveries and the scooter/walker options definitely worked the best foe me. Once again, check with her doctor and PT to see what they think will be the best options for your Mom. My suggestions here are just that, suggestions based on what worked for me during my three rounds of leg surgeries for you to run by her doctor and PT to see what they suggest.

I hope your mother’s recovery goes well and that your family is able to cruise as planned. Please keep us up to date as to how your Mom’s recovery is going and how your family’s cruise plans are going, too. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thank you all.

Believe me, if she can go, she will.  She's a real go getter and exercises regularly and is fit.  It was just a fluke thing with some water on the bathroom floor. 

One issue is the cruise is out of Seattle and they (as well as my family) live in Michigan. Not sure flying is recommended 4 weeks from leg surgery.  There is the option of driving, with frequent breaks to walk.  They've driven that route multiple times before as my youngest sister lives in Seattle.

We'll see how this plays out today and tomorrow.  Either way the 25% cruise fare refund isn't worth all that much anyway, only about $900, so it's probably better to risk it and see if she's o.k. right up until cruise time, or find someone else who can go with.

It is a real bummer if they can't end up going.  This cruise was all about them and their four children's families all going to Alaska together.  We have 6 balcony cabins booked on this cruise between my parents and my siblings' families.  Praying they can go, even if it is in a wheel chair!

Her circumstances may vary, but in my late 60s, I broke my arm in Thailand - complex fracture so surgery and a 3-day hospital stay was needed. With doctor's okay, I flew back home to California right from the hospital. So.e years before. I  broke my leg ankle a couple of days before a business trip and was able to fly to the meeting. My leg did swell a bit in the flight but that

was just a couple of days after the injury.

Perhaps a leg surgery changes the issues but it seems hopeful that 4 weeks after it will be okay with the Dr.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Just curious how old is your Mother, younger the better. They can deal with this much better and are faster healing.

I've often heard this, but never have seen the claim accompanied by a scientific research paper. 

My own broken 2 broken bone injuries in my 60's healed no slower than the one I had in middle age. Indeed, no slower than my children's childhood breaks. 

@The Fun Researcher, no advice to offer. I just wanted to wish your mum a speedy recovery so that she can get back on that treadmill asap. As someone who also works out daily I know how frustrating downtime due to injury is, so I bet she's going to be mad about that as well as the cruise!

Fingers crossed for you all that you manage to go on the cruise and have an amazing time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, perfect match said:

3) I’d definitely suggest a scooter for her to use during the cruise. She will tire out much more easily than she normally would, and having her own scooter will give her a sense of independence that a wheelchair would because she won’t want to “bother” any of you with having to push her around. While I’m sure none of your family members would feel it was a bother to be pushing her, if she’s anything like me - and I suspect she is since she still wants to go on the cruise - she will want to do as much as she can for herself.

I'm going to second renting a scooter if she is able to cruise.  A manual wheelchair is exhausting, especially when you are new at it.  Having a scooter feels much more freeing.

Special Needs at Sea (one of the companies that partners with Royal to deliver medical equipment) advertises a folding scooter.  I haven't rented from them, but a folding scooter would be easier to store in the room without taking up too much space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry from all of us cruisers from across the pond. Hope your mom has a speedy and safe recovery. I cant help with many of the questions you have asked but i would in your situation:

1, Speak to the doctor and find out what they say in regards to travelling. 

2, Check if any insurance will cover them whilst onboard for the trip if they decide to go. (Not to get the cruise money back). Our travel insurance we have to declare any new medical conditions, which always bumps price right up. 

3,Then make an informed decision and speak to royal. 

Last year my sister a few weeks before the cruise needed to remove her now ex husband. She spoke to royal they understood and gave her OBC for his ticket price. They may as a goodwill gesture give a FCC. 🤷

Or can you move the booking? 

But good luck and hope your mom gets better soon.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thank you all.

Believe me, if she can go, she will.  She's a real go getter and exercises regularly and is fit.  It was just a fluke thing with some water on the bathroom floor. 

One issue is the cruise is out of Seattle and they (as well as my family) live in Michigan. Not sure flying is recommended 4 weeks from leg surgery.  There is the option of driving, with frequent breaks to walk.  They've driven that route multiple times before as my youngest sister lives in Seattle.

We'll see how this plays out today and tomorrow.  Either way the 25% cruise fare refund isn't worth all that much anyway, only about $900, so it's probably better to risk it and see if she's o.k. right up until cruise time, or find someone else who can go with.

It is a real bummer if they can't end up going.  This cruise was all about them and their four children's families all going to Alaska together.  We have 6 balcony cabins booked on this cruise between my parents and my siblings' families.  Praying they can go, even if it is in a wheel chair!

Is Amtrak an option?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Does the credit card used to book have cancellation for medical reason coverage?

15 hours ago, RB9643 said:

Just came in to say this exact thing. Check the benefits provided by the credit card you used. You might be surprised and not even know it was there.

15 hours ago, RB9643 said:

We have cards for travel we use for the points and benefits, including great cancellation insurance. But per quite surprised to discover that even our random "normal" credit card offers $1500 per person cancellation insurance. Never knew it was there.

Thanks again for these suggestions!  My dad did call this morning and the Chase card does provide $1500 for each of them.  That essentially covers the cruise fair for their balcony cabin if indeed they cannot go.  The rest, taxes and port fees and prepaid grats will get refunded automatically.

However, the preferred option is still for them to go.  Can't wait to go see her today, she's in good spirits all things considered.  She's a tough little lady.

• Like 20