Help?? 32 Days from cruise. Mom just broke her leg. No trip insurance.

6 hours ago, FionaMG said:

@The Fun Researcher, no advice to offer. I just wanted to wish your mum a speedy recovery so that she can get back on that treadmill asap. As someone who also works out daily I know how frustrating downtime due to injury is, so I bet she's going to be mad about that as well as the cruise!

Fingers crossed for you all that you manage to go on the cruise and have an amazing time.

Yes, exactly.  She gets frustrated when she can't work out!  I'm the same way.  As I get older I get so frustrated with injuries (typically caused by working out, of all things).  It just takes so long to recover, and I get frustrated forcing myself not to exercise.

5 hours ago, gluecksbaer said:

I'm going to second renting a scooter if she is able to cruise.  A manual wheelchair is exhausting, especially when you are new at it.  Having a scooter feels much more freeing.

Special Needs at Sea (one of the companies that partners with Royal to deliver medical equipment) advertises a folding scooter.  I haven't rented from them, but a folding scooter would be easier to store in the room without taking up too much space.

Thank you all who have suggested a scooter.  That is much more her style.  She doesn't like being fussed over. 🙂

4 hours ago, Sianli said:

Is Amtrak an option?

3 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Best wishes to your mum for a speedy recovery.  If she can’t fly, have your parents considered taking a train to Seattle?  Might be better than driving.  I hope you can all go and have a great time!

Thanks to all who mentioned Amtrak.  It certainly is an option.  I'll mention it to them.  My mom has taken it many times from nearby to see my sister in Milwaukee.  I'll ask that they think of that option all the way to Seattle.  My dad likes driving though. (not sure why LOL)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, perfect match said:

@The Fun Researcher, I’m sorry to hear about you Mom’s injury, but glad to hear that her surgery was successful. Hopefully her recovery will go well and her doctor will think she’s ok to go on your cruise. 

My own surgical experiences have been slightly different than your Mom’s but some of the things I’ve learned from mine still apply.

1) Definitely keep the lines of communication open with her doctor and go by what the doctor says will be best for her. 
2) Physical therapy will be very important for her long term recovery. Her PT can most likely give her exercises to do even while she is on the ship if she’s able to go. Some exercises she’ll be able to do on her own in the room. Depending on where she’s at in her recovery she may be able to use the gym on board the ship as well. I was farther out in my recovery than I think your Mom will be and found a number of the exact same machines that I was already using on my own in PT available in the ship’s gym, and took full advantage of them. I didn’t try anything new, just what I was already doing and what my doctor and PT recommended for me.

3) I’d definitely suggest a scooter for her to use during the cruise. She will tire out much more easily than she normally would, and having her own scooter will give her a sense of independence that a wheelchair would because she won’t want to “bother” any of you with having to push her around. While I’m sure none of your family members would feel it was a bother to be pushing her, if she’s anything like me - and I suspect she is since she still wants to go on the cruise - she will want to do as much as she can for herself.

4) What worked best for me when I wanted to walk rather than ride was a walker as opposed to a cane or crutches. I was not very stable on my feet early on in any of me recoveries and the walker gave me the best chance of remaining upright. I always felt very secure and stable on my feet when using the walker. Not so much with the cane or crutches, although I never fell with any of them. I do wish at times that I’d had a walker with a seat option instead of the standard one that I had because it would have given me the option to take a break and sit if I needed to or even to have someone push me if necessary. We live near WDW and I did a lot of traveling around the Orlando area theme parks during my various recoveries and the scooter/walker options definitely worked the best foe me. Once again, check with her doctor and PT to see what they think will be the best options for your Mom. My suggestions here are just that, suggestions based on what worked for me during my three rounds of leg surgeries for you to run by her doctor and PT to see what they suggest.

I hope your mother’s recovery goes well and that your family is able to cruise as planned. Please keep us up to date as to how your Mom’s recovery is going and how your family’s cruise plans are going, too. 

Thank you for all the suggestions!

• Like 1

You might want to consider calling Royal Caribbean and asking if there is an accessible room available. I had two broken ankles 3-1/2 months before my cruise and I was hopeful I'd be able to manage with a walker by the time of the cruise, but they didn't clear me to put weight on the second foot until 2 weeks before the cruise. So I was just beginning serious PT shortly before the cruise.

Fortunately there was an accessible cabin available. My granddaughters pushed me through airports in the wheelchair and the scooter I rented was waiting in the cabin when I got on board. That scooter saved my vacation.

I have since sailed in a balcony cabin and taken a hard look at the logistics of trying to get around the cabin in a walker. It's wishful thinking to believe it would work out. And I can't imagine trying to take a shower (even with them providing a shower chair).

Good luck to your mom as she recovers from this set-back. It sounds like she is a very determined lady and she will get her life back with that mindset. I got mine back. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a comment.  I scan these boards regularly, and while most of the posts are somewhat repetitive and at times trivial (how many times can we debate gratuities and menus 😆), every so often you come across one that gives you great information, like this one.

We're all aging/dealing with age issues, and many of us could find ourselves facing a situation similar to this.  It's great to see a group of "strangers" sharing information and problem solving to try and help one of us with a challenge. And even better - especially in these strange/strained times - it's enheartening and uplifting to see comments that show compassion and caring.

Many people ask me what it is I like so much about cruising.  I tell them that it's all about the people you meet. I hope to bump into many of you on our next sailing!  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 8:57 AM, The Fun Researcher said:

Thanks to all who mentioned Amtrak.  It certainly is an option.  I'll mention it to them.  My mom has taken it many times from nearby to see my sister in Milwaukee.  I'll ask that they think of that option all the way to Seattle.

I love Amtrak for cross-country (my wife not so much) but be sure to look at the train. They are large, roomy and comfortable, but you have to be able to get to the upper deck, and those steps are a b*tch even for a fully mobile 60 year-old like me.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

I love Amtrak for cross-country (my wife not so much) but be sure to look at the train. They are large, roomy and comfortable, but you have to be able to get to the upper deck, and those steps are a b*tch even for a fully mobile 60 year-old like me.

Amtrak must, of course, be ADA compliant. So, one does not “have” to be able to climb those steps, though I remember those steps as our “Roomette” on Amtrak was on the second level.  I think there were accessible sleepers on the first level of our train.  I have no idea about availability, of course.

From the Amtrak website:

“Accessible Seating

Accessible space is available on all trains for passengers with disabilities and mobility impairments.

Accessible Seats

Often referred to as Transfer Seats, accessible seats offer extra room making it easier for a passenger to transfer from a wheelchair into the seat, a passenger who uses a walker, a passenger with a leg in a cast that doesn’t bend and thereby requires additional legroom or a passenger with a large service animal, etc. There is room nearby to store a passenger's folded wheelchair.”

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Amtrak must, of course, be ADA compliant. So, one does not “have” to be able to climb those steps, though I remember those steps as our “Roomette” on Amtrak was on the second level.  I think there were accessible sleepers on the first level of our train.  I have no idea about availability, of course.

I do not recall any sleepers on the first level, just coach seats directly adjacent to the entry door. However, I have not needed to research it, so they may very well be there. As for availability, any sleeper for a trip like theirs is going to be unlikely this late in the game. And I would not recommend coach for 50ish-hour trip.

There are lower level rooms on Empire Builders cars from Chicago to Seattle. One family bedroom, one accessible room and 4 roomettes. Bathrooms and showers also on lower level. You can have all meals in your room if you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RJ257 said:

There are lower level rooms on Empire Builders cars from Chicago to Seattle. One family bedroom, one accessible room and 4 roomettes. Bathrooms and showers also on lower level. You can have all meals in your room if you like.

Is that in each sleeper car? That's pretty significant if there are 2-4 cars.

On 6/8/2023 at 10:02 PM, brillohead said:

My recommendation is to talk to the surgeon and use their judgment.

100%.  We can throw out ideas, but your mom should absolutely follow her doctor's instructions!  

On 6/8/2023 at 11:39 PM, perfect match said:

2) Physical therapy will be very important for her long term recovery. Her PT can most likely give her exercises to do even while she is on the ship if she’s able to go. Some exercises she’ll be able to do on her own in the room. Depending on where she’s at in her recovery she may be able to use the gym on board the ship as well.

Physical therapists are worth their weight in gold!  Two comments: 

- If you've never had any experience with PT, it tends to work like this:  The PT comes to your house 1-2 Xs each week and leaves you with "homework".  At each visit they assess your improvement and tweak your exercises.  

- My mom had a great experience with PT after her hip replacement.  She did her "homework" every morning and every afternoon, and -- as a result -- her recovery was more speedy than expected.  Even the things you'd think were simple were hard for her, and she had to take Tylenol before each workout, but she says the effort was worthwhile.  

On 6/8/2023 at 11:39 PM, perfect match said:

3) I’d definitely suggest a scooter for her to use during the cruise. She will tire out much more easily than she normally would, and having her own scooter will give her a sense of independence that a wheelchair would because she won’t want to “bother” any of you with having to push her around. While I’m sure none of your family members would feel it was a bother to be pushing her, if she’s anything like me - and I suspect she is since she still wants to go on the cruise - she will want to do as much as she can for herself.

Excellent advice.  I know you can "order a scooter to the port" -- not from the cruise line itself, but from a company near the port.  When we last sailed, we saw them lining up the scooters for pick-up.  

On 6/9/2023 at 9:57 AM, The Fun Researcher said:

Yes, exactly.  She gets frustrated when she can't work out! 

Remind her that she can still work out her upper body.  

13 hours ago, watcher_62 said:

It's great to see a group of "strangers" sharing information and problem solving to try and help one of us with a challenge. And even better - especially in these strange/strained times - it's enheartening and uplifting to see comments that show compassion and caring ... 

Most people on this site genuinely want to share information and help one another. 

• Thanks 1

@The Fun Researcher, I’ve told my DH about your Mom and her injury. I know you have plenty to deal with right now so as much as I want to, I won’t pester you for updates. I just want to let you know that DH and I are both keeping your Mom, you, and the rest of your family in our thoughts and prayers as you navigate your way through her recovery and what your decisions regarding your cruise will be. Please keep us posted when you can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best wishes for your mom's speedy recovery. I would definitely talk with Ortho about flying. I'm a PT and I've had patients fly not long after an injury like that, BUT there's a lot of factors that go into it. As far as the cruise goes, I hope that she is healed enough to go and enjoy it. I second the ideas of a scooter and asking about a handicap room. I know some of the rooms have a little step up to get to the bathroom so that would be a consideration if she can manage that. If she goes I would definitely see if she can get a chair for the shower. If she's getting PT right now I would definitely  have her ask them to help problem solve some of these logistics with her. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That wouldn't stop me and I'm 73!  First words out of my mouth when I fell and hit my head in Ft. Lauderdale last December was..,..."Oh no, they won't let me on the ship!"  But they did, I wore sunshades and nobody noticed the huge hematoma dripping down my face!  I didn't even go to emergency.  Yeah yeah, I know...foolish.  Nothing happened at all on the cruise, except we got a lot of weird looks.Give it time, she may feel great in 30 days. And there are free wheelchairs at all airports and you can order one from Special Needs at RCCL for arrival, rent one to go on ship if needed or just buy her one of those knee wheelers.  I'm sure with determination it can be done. You Mom sounds spunky!

BTW, I just bought my very own electric wheel chair, if I'd been in it in Florida I wouldn't have tripped.

6 Days in.JPEG

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

That wouldn't stop me and I'm 73!  First words out of my mouth when I fell and hit my head in Ft. Lauderdale last December was..,..."Oh no, they won't let me on the ship!"  But they did, I wore sunshades and nobody noticed the huge hematoma dripping down my face!  I didn't even go to emergency.  Yeah yeah, I know...foolish.  Nothing happened at all on the cruise, except we got a lot of weird looks.Give it time, she may feel great in 30 days. And there are free wheelchairs at all airports and you can order one from Special Needs at RCCL for arrival, rent one to go on ship if needed or just buy her one of those knee wheelers.  I'm sure with determination it can be done. You Mom sounds spunky!

BTW, I just bought my very own electric wheel chair, if I'd been in it in Florida I wouldn't have tripped.

6 Days in.JPEG

Wow that’s a doozy of a fall!  Glad you were still able to go!  

Just stopped by and saw them and she’s doing great and determined to go on the cruise unless doctors say otherwise.

• Like 18

37 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Just stopped by and saw them and she’s doing great and determined to go on the cruise unless doctors say 

Glad to hear she's doing well.  Keep us posted. 

5 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Just stopped by and saw them and she’s doing great and determined to go on the cruise unless doctors say otherwise.

Great news!  I'm sure she'll enjoy every minute of it.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 6:07 AM, watcher_62 said:

Just a comment.  I scan these boards regularly, and while most of the posts are somewhat repetitive and at times trivial (how many times can we debate gratuities and menus 😆), every so often you come across one that gives you great information, like this one.

We're all aging/dealing with age issues, and many of us could find ourselves facing a situation similar to this.  It's great to see a group of "strangers" sharing information and problem solving to try and help one of us with a challenge. And even better - especially in these strange/strained times - it's enheartening and uplifting to see comments that show compassion and caring.

Many people ask me what it is I like so much about cruising.  I tell them that it's all about the people you meet. I hope to bump into many of you on our next sailing!  

Your post is spot on! 

On 6/8/2023 at 10:02 PM, brillohead said:

My recommendation is to talk to the surgeon and use their judgment.  

Unless there are weird complications (that her surgeon will be the one to ask about), I would think that a transport chair or wheelchair to use in the airports and hotel, plus a motorized scooter on the ship (to allow your mom some independence rather than needing to be pushed everywhere), would be sufficient to allow both of your parents to take the cruise.  

I regularly travel with friends in wheelchairs (one paraplegic, one amputee), and Royal and their employees are very helpful to the point of bending over backwards to accommodate those with special needs.  If I can help with any questions, please let me know.

Thanks brillohead, do you or others have an idea of the width of doors on the balcony cabins on Quantum?  My mom isn’t sold on a scooter for some reason but is ok with a wheelchair.  Do wheelchairs fit through the cabin door?  Maybe Special Needs at Sea has specific ones for cruise ships?  Maybe I can convince her that a scooter would be better but it might be a wheelchair