Help, Vancouver, hubs has must attend Zoom meeting

Just now, jeb_bud said:

I think you need to provide a little more context to make this an answerable question. 

Ummm, our cruise ship docks at 7am at the Canada Place cruise terminal.  It is the end of the cruise, so we have to get off.  Just found out he is leading a meeting over Zoom at 9 am that is so important we will have to cancel our cruise.  I checked the Vancouver Library, but they don't open till 9:30.  Hotels are never going to guarantee checking in that early.  Any other ideas?

You may be in the middle of debarking assuming it starts around 8:30 like it did for us in Jan.

No chance to move the start time for the meeting until 10.

Might be a little pricey but how about this?  Book a room at the Pan Pacific for the night before with prepayment. Keep your luggage in your room, get up early and debark as early as possible. Take the short walk to the hotel, do a late check in to your prepaid room and lead the meeting. 

Or maybe just book a meeting room at the hotel for the morning. 

2 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

Might be a little pricey but how about this?  Book a room at the Pan Pacific for the night before with prepayment. Keep your luggage in your room, get up early and debark as early as possible. Take the short walk to the hotel, do a late check in to your prepaid room and lead the meeting. 

Or maybe just book a meeting room at the hotel for the morning. 

Forgot about the hotel right there. Might be able to work something out with them and use early self debarkation… they are the first off.

Is there a Starbucks near the port?  Also

many hotels have free wifi in their lobby.  If he’s part of Marriott Bonvoy, those hotels generally give higher speed internet in the lobby to their members.  

1 minute ago, red1head said:

You can also arrange to disembark the evening before after the ship arrives in Vancouver. Transfer to a hotel for the night and sleep well before his Zoom meeting in the am.

If the penultimate port is Victoria, you could disembark there and take the ferry to Vancouver, get your overnight hotel, and so on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, red1head said:

You can also arrange to disembark the evening before after the ship arrives in Vancouver. Transfer to a hotel for the night and sleep well before his Zoom meeting in the am.

That is the best idea yet. To cancel the cruise at this late date is a big loss. If you are in Vancouver the night before, just plan to disembark that evening after dinner. You will not miss much and avoid the hurry up and wait to be called the next morning. We always get off the night before if it is an option. You can probably find a cheaper hotel than the one at the terminal too.

• Like 1

It'll cause envy and jealousy - but you DO have a WiFi hotspot inside your phone [I'm assuming). 

You'll be pierside and should have a good cell signal [I'm assuming].   

Find the most comfortable, quiet place on deck and run your meeting.  Use your phone as your WAP.

I don't know which ship you'll be on but I suggest something like the Horizon Lounge on Mariner and Voyager or Pool Grill should do.  Neither should be in full operation that morning [I'm assuming] but it should give you the connectivity/privacy/atmosphere necessary for your meeting.

If your Husband is running the meeting - he gets to call the shots?  [I'm assuming...😊

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, daetchief said:

Find the most comfortable, quiet place on deck and run your meeting.  Use your phone as your WAP.

I don't know which ship you'll be on but I suggest something like the Horizon Lounge on Mariner and Voyager or Pool Grill should do.  Neither should be in full operation that morning [I'm assuming] but it should give you the connectivity/privacy/atmosphere necessary for your meeting.

If your Husband is running the meeting - he gets to call the shots?  [I'm assuming...😊

I doubt they can remain on board that long. The meeting starts at 9:00. They will have to leave the ship before too long……..

@caymancouple while this version is much more active, I replied to your Port of Call thread - rather than re-type all your various options, here's a shortcut...

I didn't know from that question whether this was a port stop or a Disembarkation - so I didn't address YOUR problem (what to do with the bags while DH is on his call!).

If it's OK for you to listen in, you could just join him - but if he needs to run off by himself, you could check out the FlyOverCanada ride right at the pier. They'll hold bags while you ride, the whole thing lasts about an hour from queue to preride video to ride itself, and if he is OK to use an 'open' connection he could be right above you on top of CP or just a block along the Seawall.

Depending whether you have a post-cruise hotel stay or a flight home, and if his call is going to be a very long one, I might be able to offer some more suggestions... so a full breakdown of what else you need to do that day would enable a more complete answer.

Edited by martincath

Since the port before Vancouver is Victoria and the zoom starting time is really 9am pacific time, I would disembark in Victoria and spend the night someplace there and do the zoom there.

I would not make taking a ferry to Vancouver or disembarking in Vancouver the morning of the zoom in the critical path. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caymancouple said:

Ummm, our cruise ship docks at 7am at the Canada Place cruise terminal.  It is the end of the cruise, so we have to get off.  Just found out he is leading a meeting over Zoom at 9 am that is so important we will have to cancel our cruise.  I checked the Vancouver Library, but they don't open till 9:30.  Hotels are never going to guarantee checking in that early.  Any other ideas?

The Pan Pacific has a complimentary lobby wifi.

If you are a guest there, you have a 24 hour Guest Internet Center

Good luck👍

3 hours ago, RachelG said:

I would use my cellular service.  In Vancouver, you should have a good connection.  You can do that from wherever you like.  I routinely attend zoom meetings using my iPad or cell phone.

Exactly!

I really can’t see what all the drama is about - you’re in port - disembark early and find a spot to make the Zoom call - it’s hardly an unusual situation

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

They haven’t even booked the cruise yet

I'm pretty sure they have a booked cruise that they are thinking of changing. As (s)he says, "exploring all options."

1 minute ago, RELS said:

I'm pretty sure they have a booked cruise that they are thinking of changing. As (s)he says, "exploring all options."

As per my link to their other thread in my post above they said “Considering doing an Alaska on the 21st, that is 10 days from now.  Can't book for another 2 days till I get all the ducks lined up”

That seems very clear to me as to their current status 

Hotels do allow an early check in.  I would call the Fairmont near the port.  If you book a room for the night before, you can check in when you get off the ship.  Call the hotel and discuss this with the reservation manager.

Edited by PaulMCO

Just a little curious about this thread. If I understand correctly, the husband must be on scheduled vacation from his employment for you to be considering this cruise and for his employer to spring a “mandatory zoom meeting” on him when on vacation, when a cruise is being considered. And, if I understand correctly, you have yet to book this cruise, but are just considering it. If something has come up, on an emergency basis, from the husband’s employment, that might conflict with the disembarkation, I wouldn’t book if the internet connection is involved. We have no luck in doing things like that once we disembark Regent. In fact, internet is rather spotty on a Regent (or any other) cruise ship. If the zoom meeting is an “emergency” in your husbands position, and if he has vacation time which includes the disembarkation date, I wouldn’t book.  But if husband has vacation time through that date and the zoom meeting isn’t an emergency, husband needs to seek a new employment. None of this is the fault of Regent. No employer should interrupt scheduled vacation time with a “mandatory zoom meeting” on scheduled vacation time, minus an emergency.