Spectra's Cabaret show on Ovation of the Seas

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Only you can be the judge.  Give it a try and make your own opinion.

Overall, it seems to be love it or no thanks.

I completely agree.  We have seen the show on Ovation, Anthem & Quantum.  Don’t need to see it ever again.  It was okay the first time and then it has just gotten worse.

Just now, Tlbecker1 said:

I completely agree.  We have seen the show on Ovation, Anthem & Quantum.  Don’t need to see it ever again.  It was okay the first time and then it has just gotten worse.

I'm a glutton for punishment.  😲  Saw it on Quantum (once), Anthem (I think 7 times), and will probably peek in again on my next Anthem cruise.  Thank goodness Anthem is leaving Cape Liberty next May.  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I personally like the show. There are a couple of slow spots, but being from a musical background, I tend to like production/cabaret shows. As was said, only you can decide. I wish they still had the aerialist. I just finished 5 legs on the Ovation, and still went to see it multiple times.

Everybody has their own taste on entertainment. I don’t enjoy comedy shows, but others love them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I personally like the show. There are a couple of slow spots, but being from a musical background, I tend to like production/cabaret shows. As was said, only you can decide. I wish they still had the aerialist. I just finished 5 legs on the Ovation, and still went to see it multiple times.

Everybody has their own taste on entertainment. I don’t enjoy comedy shows, but others love them.

I am glad you enjoyed it, I just don’t need to see it anymore.  I really enjoyed The Book on Odyssey and have seen it 3 times.  Many folks I spoke to didn’t like it.

We used to see it every chance we could on Anthem. Unfortunately, the last time we saw it, there were no aerialists and, as a result it lost its continuity. We won't be going out of our way to see it any more, as the cast told us they removed those performers. Without them, the show is hollow and soulless, with a big gaping hole in the story. 

Have seen Spectre’s at least 5 times on Anthem from Southampton- loved the weird quirkiness of it… definitely now lacking without aerial artists.

Didn't realise that I’m going on Ovation on the other side of the world to see the same show!!! 🤦‍♀️

What other shows are in Ovation ? 

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Have seen Spectre’s at least 5 times on Anthem from Southampton- loved the weird quirkiness of it… definitely now lacking without aerial artists.

Didn't realise that I’m going on Ovation on the other side of the world to see the same show!!! 🤦‍♀️

What other shows are in Ovation ? 

There’s a Las Vegas style show called Live love legs and another called the beautiful dream.

But the show in 270 that was Pixals was was was definitely worth going to.

The key to the show is the person who plays Spectra.  I've seen 3 different ones and found the feeling of the show to be very different.  One had a flamboyant Spectra which kept the emphasis on him.  Another one let the cast be the stars of the show.  The 3rd one was somewhere in the middle an it made the show kind of blah.  

The aerialists are coming back so that should be helpful.

The talent was there for sure, but it quirky, and I felt the lighting was poor-- too much of the action/performances were in total darkness. I was OK with it. 

My husband, on the other hand was utterly unimpressed. I am using restraint in that I am not going to provide a direct quote of his opinion. 😇

Edited by teddie
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed the show but I prefer to see it from the lower seating area in front.  

Two70 is not meant to be a 2 dimensional theater but you sit further back that is exactly what you get.  I enjoy it more when the performers are all around me.

The show in 270 on Quantum is not Spectra's Cabaret - it is Starwater, and it is quite a bit different. I know some people don't like the beginning of Starwater (the Madonna Vogue section) but I think the show is just wonderful (saw it 4 times on a 13-day cruise in March) & love Royal's Entertainment Group for putting together so much talent & variety in entertainment across the board. Hopefully there is something for everyone onboard!

18 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We watched it about 5 times on Anthem... because of Terry Lavell who is extremely talented.

This is an example of him performing Christmas song

Show itself was interesting, but I would not reewatch it without him (we did once and it was not as good)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

There’s a Las Vegas style show called Live love legs and another called the beautiful dream.

But the show in 270 that was Pixals was was was definitely worth going to.

Guessing Live Live Legs will be like the very glamorous feathers show on Odyssey - like an old fashioned 40s musical. 

The Beautiful Dream I’ve not heard of but hoping it’s nothing like The Gift or The Book which were dreadful! 

3 hours ago, FloatyBoatyAgain said:

The show in 270 on Quantum is not Spectra's Cabaret - it is Starwater, and it is quite a bit different. I know some people don't like the beginning of Starwater (the Madonna Vogue section) but I think the show is just wonderful (saw it 4 times on a 13-day cruise in March) & love Royal's Entertainment Group for putting together so much talent & variety in entertainment across the board. Hopefully there is something for everyone onboard!

Spectra's Cabaret was on Quantum from launch (Oct/Nov 2014) through it's one season homeporting at Cape Liberty.  I assume the show changed when it was retrofitted for China.

Edited by Another_Critic

I like Spectra on Anthem, we've seen it a few times.

Somebody mentioned The Book on Odyssey....we saw that last month.  Neither of us have any idea what the point of the show was, lol.   The fiddler is very talented though.

23 hours ago, Wink87 said:

Anyone care to offer an opinion on this show? 

We left mid show. Too bright and loud. Story line didn’t make sense. I’m not a huge fan of the production shows in two70. Too busy and you can’t see everything at once. The Book was alight on Odyssey this spring, but wouldn’t see it again.